Feeling nostalgic for the good ole days...

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I was getting tired of being frustrated with the constant fight with W10M. My main W10M phone is a 950. It s a great phone with terrible software. 14393.321. Constant reboots and crashes. Its laggy AF too. I felt the need to change my daily driver. I gave the Nexus 5 a quick couple day run and got bored. I've got my other sim in a iPhone 6 so I didn't feel like carrying 2 iPhone's around, that's douchey. Alas, I whipped out the old 830 and put it back on 8.1 WOW. Does that OS bring back some memories. So smooth and stable. I haven't used 8.1 in a long time. I know its EOL but I have enjoyed the last few days down memory lane. My main 8.1 device was a 920 back in the day and my 830 was always on W10M and worked fine. I wish I hadn't gone past 10586.

Oh Well, I will enjoy the last of good ole days for a while before I put the sim back in the 950. Maybe I'll get the Focus Flash out and try out some WP7 and play some Harvest.

:cool:

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely agree. Microsoft is moving away from what attracted me the most to Windows Phone: smooth, polished, fluid interface on any hardware with 8/8.1, and attractive, flashy, unique phones with great cameras.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Hey, check my site name Aximtreo. That's how far I go back with Windows. Just acquired another 950xl to keep the taste in my mouth. Daily driver is Note 5. After charging, doing the OS updates, I made the mistake of restoring the last 950xl backup. It was only a month old. What a mistake. Now I have to use a sun dial to time the opening and closing of apps ad boots. The rest of my day will be spent resetting and doing a complete new install. Should have done that in the first place but I'm a dumb butt. LOL

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was getting tired of being frustrated with the constant fight with W10M. My main W10M phone is a 950. It s a great phone with terrible software. 14393.321. Constant reboots and crashes. Its laggy AF too. I felt the need to change my daily driver. I gave the Nexus 5 a quick couple day run and got bored. I've got my other sim in a iPhone 6 so I didn't feel like carrying 2 iPhone's around, that's douchey. Alas, I whipped out the old 830 and put it back on 8.1 WOW. Does that OS bring back some memories. So smooth and stable. I haven't used 8.1 in a long time. I know its EOL but I have enjoyed the last few days down memory lane. My main 8.1 device was a 920 back in the day and my 830 was always on W10M and worked fine. I wish I hadn't gone past 10586.

Oh Well, I will enjoy the last of good ole days for a while before I put the sim back in the 950. Maybe I'll get the Focus Flash out and try out some WP7 and play some Harvest.

:cool:
Everything you said is kind of how I have been feeling too. I miss it a lot and those cameras. The stability is pretty boss, I don't recall ever having to hard reset much, if at all. When I did, it was by choice alone. Not because of frustration like I feel with my 640 on Windows 10 Mobile. I hate what happened to the camera on my 640 on Windows 10 Mobile, and because I do, I felt like I had to choose between great camera for the price and less apps, or better apps and weak camera. I chose the latter because I know myself best :winktongue: It's really made me feel like throwing the phone away, especially with the slowness and stupid glitches that I didn't have on 8.1. I got a 550 to stay in the game from an amazing deal, kind of like how @aximtreo did with the 950xl. Liking it, but every now and then, I wonder how it would be if it had 8.1 on it.

Whoops, I kind of went on a tangent, but I miss only being concerned about apps on 8.1 over being concerned about apps and performance on Windows 10 Mobile.
Absolutely agree. Microsoft is moving away from what attracted me the most to Windows Phone: smooth, polished, fluid interface on any hardware with 8/8.1, and attractive, flashy, unique phones with great cameras.
Yes! Agreed! I miss it.

Hey, check my site name Aximtreo. That's how far I go back with Windows. Just acquired another 950xl to keep the taste in my mouth. Daily driver is Note 5. After charging, doing the OS updates, I made the mistake of restoring the last 950xl backup. It was only a month old. What a mistake. Now I have to use a sun dial to time the opening and closing of apps ad boots. The rest of my day will be spent resetting and doing a complete new install. Should have done that in the first place but I'm a dumb butt. LOL

LOL, sun dial! Ah I can imagine how you felt, that is one of the worst things. I think I did a similar mistake the other week and since it takes so long, I just had to leave the phone on and go to sleep because of work in the morning.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Could not agree more. Windows 10 Mobile is a buggy mess, 8.1 was solid as a rock. It was so stable and everything I loved about Windows Phone, stable, fast and dependable (battery was very stable in times as well).

Microsoft screwed up with Windows 10 Mobile. Back in the 8.1 days, I got a lot of people over to Windows Phone (about 50 or so people), as I was a big fan. After Windows 10 hit on Mobile and people were sort of forced to upgrade (or IT'S NEW MUST HAVE type thing) and after that, about 3/4 of them have moved on, Some to Android and some to iPhones... I can see why the numbers are down. It was a waste for me to talk them into the phones.

Besides Windows 10 mobile being a buggy mess, the Tap-to-pay thing for newer phones ONLY was the final nail for me. I am on Verizon, I don't get a big choice of Windows Phones to start with but, even though I had tap to pay on my phone, Microsoft black listed us older users...

So, on a LG G4... I have an iPhone 6 that I use and time to time pop over to they best Verizon Windows Phone, the Nokia ICON (but less and less now)...

Sigh...good job Microsoft, always finding a way to screw up a good thing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon