Help finding a new Windows Phone

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! I am going to be looking for a phone in the near future and would like your help in finding a phone. I have had the Lumia 925 in the past and upgraded to the Xperia Z3 after. Now, I'm looking for another Windows Phone due to privacy concerns with Google.

Now I'm aware about the 'App Gap' in WP but I'll live, 3rd party apps seem to do the same function (or better sometimes) anyway. So really, I'm looking for a device within these specifications:

-Windows 10 Mobile
-At least 2GB of RAM
-At least 16GB of Storage
-At least 720p
-NFC (Tap to Pay)
-Brand Name (Not HP, I took a pledge not to buy from them🙁)
-Windows Hello
-Supports T-Mobile LTE
-Headphone Jack

Optional:
-USB Type C
-Wireless Charging (Qi)
-802.11a 5Ghz Wi-Fi Support

Wanted:
-6Snap preinstalled😁

I have about a year to decide on a new phone so I can still wait but is the Lumia brand dead? I really liked the 925 and want the 930 (Icon) but I feel that it will soon be obsolete.

Thank you for reading

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Ummm...
Maybe the new Alcatel Idol 4S Windows phone perhaps.
Maybe something else will jump up in a year.
Good luck!

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Have you checked out the new Alcatel Idol 4S released on T-MOBILE? One thing I understand is the phone does not support tap to pay, but is probably the best Windows phone for consumers right now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello Friend...

-Windows 10 Mobile
Yep... Probably not worth while getting anything older than "built for W10M" at this date.

-At least 2GB of RAM
Low to mid now seems to be 1GB so we are sailing into Flagship territory.

-At least 16GB of Storage
Can't blame you there. Not much has been coming out or rumored with less than 16GB internal storage.

-At least 720p
Pretty easily done.

-NFC (Tap to Pay)
This is something still coming down the pike. Fast Ring Insiders are testing it and it is US market only at this time and bank participation is a bit low on this platform. (I don't know where you do your banking.)

-Brand Name (Not HP, I took a pledge not to buy from them)
As a former webOS user and fan, I understand. But never say never. :winktongue:

-Windows Hello
Iris scan and fingerprint are coming on now. Again, get on a Flagship cruise for this.

-Supports T-Mobile LTE
Got more specifics? I mean the frequencies are no hardship. The Deathstar Carrier has pushed into Band 12 so it is showing up on most devices for this platform currently.

Or are you more concerned with VoLTE and in-house WiFi calling?

-Headphone Jack
LOL that people even have to ask for this. I've not seen a released or planned phone for this platform that doesn't have a 3.5mm jack.

Optional:
-USB Type C
-Wireless Charging (Qi)
-802.11a 5Ghz Wi-Fi Support
You are defnitely booking the Flagship cruise then...

Wanted:
-6Snap preinstalled
Don't want to burst your bubble, but I think Beezlebub will be handing out snow cones to his customers before we see any SnapChuck around these parts.

I have about a year to decide on a new phone so I can still wait but is the Lumia brand dead? I really liked the 925 and want the 930 (Icon) but I feel that it will soon be obsolete.

Thank you for reading

Yeah. Lumia is pretty much pushing out the last of the stock and closing the Brand Name.

The aforementioned Idol 4 S Windows on Magenta network would fit the bill... Except no NFC.

Likewise, the Acer Liquid Jade Primo ticks most of your boxes... Again, no NFC.

Lumia 950 and 950 XL would be closer in a factory unlocked.

Me? I'm waiting for the new Unicorn and no, it isn't "Surface Phone." I'm waiting on Cerulean to drop. Depends on what you want in compliance with T-Mo, just the LTE Bands or something deeper...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello Friend...

Yep... Probably not worth while getting anything older than "built for W10M" at this date.

Low to mid now seems to be 1GB so we are sailing into Flagship territory.

Can't blame you there. Not much has been coming out or rumored with less than 16GB internal storage.

Pretty easily done.

This is something still coming down the pike. Fast Ring Insiders are testing it and it is US market only at this time and bank participation is a bit low on this platform. (I don't know where you do your banking.)

As a former webOS user and fan, I understand. But never say never. :winktongue:

Iris scan and fingerprint are coming on now. Again, get on a Flagship cruise for this.

Got more specifics? I mean the frequencies are no hardship. The Deathstar Carrier has pushed into Band 12 so it is showing up on most devices for this platform currently.

Or are you more concerned with VoLTE and in-house WiFi calling?

LOL that people even have to ask for this. I've not seen a released or planned phone for this platform that doesn't have a 3.5mm jack.

You are defnitely booking the Flagship cruise then...

Don't want to burst your bubble, but I think Beezlebub will be handing out snow cones to his customers before we see any SnapChuck around these parts.

Yeah. Lumia is pretty much pushing out the last of the stock and closing the Brand Name.

The aforementioned Idol 4 S Windows on Magenta network would fit the bill... Except no NFC.

Likewise, the Acer Liquid Jade Primo ticks most of your boxes... Again, no NFC.

Lumia 950 and 950 XL would be closer in a factory unlocked.

Me? I'm waiting for the new Unicorn and no, it isn't "Surface Phone." I'm waiting on Cerulean to drop. Depends on what you want in compliance with T-Mo, just the LTE Bands or something deeper...
The Acer does not support T-Mobile LTE bands. Strange, but true. http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=device&id=10465&c=acer_liquid_jade_primo_s58_lte_pa_dual_sim

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Acer does not support T-Mobile LTE bands.

Ah, I haven't looked at PDA DB in a long time. I just saw Frequencies on the Microsoft Site. T-Mo needs Band 2 (1900), Band 4 AWS (1700/2100) and Band 12 (700).

Now the Jade Primo comes in a few variants. On the Microsoft Site they list: 700/1700/1900/2600 MHz (PA)... Not sure, but based on all the spec reported (PA) would seem to stand for Pan-Americas because looking at the whole package it makes sense across 2G/3G/LTE for anything in North/Central/South America...

In Daniel Rubino's first look he stated:
LTE - I can confirm that you can run full LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile with this phone. There is no CDMA support, so Verizon and Sprint are still out.

Acer isn't doing anyone any favors with the way they report this device. Across the web on "phone sites", yours is the only citation I've seen with Bands and not just frequencies...

However... If you track down the User Guide the device sold in the US must almost certainly be SKU 2. Reason: SKU 1 and SKU 3 report HSPA/WCDMA that make no sense for NAM or LTA, yet SKU 2 fits right in on 3G. So SKU 2 reports as
SKU 2: 700 MHz (B12) / 1700 MHz (B4) / 1900 MHz (B2) / 2600 MHz (B7)

If all my digging is correct then Liquid Jade Primo does have what it takes to ride on T-MoUS LTE.

YMMV.

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Wow. That makes me really sad but there's really nothing we can do about that. :cry:
Depends on what you want in compliance with T-Mo, just the LTE Bands or something deeper...
It was just the LTE bands, haven't had much success with Wi-Fi Calling on any device, might be my connection.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask, does anyone know why the Windows Phone UserVoice page shut down? I mean, it was nice that Microsoft had asked people what they wanted on their phone but why did they stop? That page made the platform seem like it was created for people by the people and made Windows Phone much of what it is today. It was like a new era.
Me? I'm waiting for the new Unicorn and no, it isn't "Surface Phone." I'm waiting on Cerulean to drop
I did look Cerulean up and it seems like a nice idea. Kinda reminds me of OnePlus for Android but expensive ($800). There really aren't any specifications except The Ultimate Windows Phone but what does that mean?

About the IDOL 4S, The specifications are great and all, but I can't get past the look of it. It just doesn't look and feel like a phone I would like to have. I prefer phones with the shape of the 925, 1520, and the Xperia Z models. They're edgy. Curvy just isn't my style. And honestly, this is what made the Lumia brand so great. Many different phones which gives consumers options.

Thank you all for responding to me as it really means a lot for your feedback. For now, I'll hold out for one more year until there's something out there.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Just a FYI as some people above probably missed it - Alcatel Idol 4S does not have Wireless charging and NFC features. If I were you I'd go with a 950, though the HP Elite x3 despite it's price is still a nice phone.

Friend42

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Just a FYI as some people above probably missed it - Alcatel Idol 4S does not have Wireless charging and NFC features. If I were you I'd go with a 950, though the HP Elite x3 despite it's price is still a nice phone.

About the Alcatel. Yea, I was aware of it lacking NFC but not wireless charging. I mean, wireless charging is cool to use, but nowadays with things like quick charge, the charging speed doesn't compare. Also the shape just bothers me.

About going with the 950, I'd actually want to as well, but the speaker placement gets me so mad. Like come on. Have we learned anything from the HTC M8? My current phone has the speakers in front as well. And the fact that they chose a plastic back just gets me frustrated but you might be right about getting it. Especially since that makes the back is user replaceable, isn't there a way or place where I can change the color of it? That would be awesome.

Lol I'm not buying from HP even though most Windows Devices run it. They're on my list of things to BDS.

You know what, I've made my decision. I'm getting the Lumia 950 since it's supposed to be the last flagship with the Lumia branding. Can someone lead me to a place to buy it so that the LTE bands are supported by T-Mobile and unlocked? (No At&t)

Thanks everyone for helping me lead to this decision. Tbh I feel worried about the future of Windows Mobile. I love it and hate it. It's odd but you guys probably have the same relationship. We need to stop moving backwards. We had multiple devices, we had uservoice, we had stability, we had options, but now, we are limited.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
About the Alcatel. Yea, I was aware of it lacking NFC but not wireless charging. I mean, wireless charging is cool to use, but nowadays with things like quick charge, the charging speed doesn't compare. Also the shape just bothers me.

About going with the 950, I'd actually want to as well, but the speaker placement gets me so mad. Like come on. Have we learned anything from the HTC M8? My current phone has the speakers in front as well. And the fact that they chose a plastic back just gets me frustrated but you might be right about getting it. Especially since that makes the back is user replaceable, isn't there a way or place where I can change the color of it? That would be awesome.

Lol I'm not buying from HP even though most Windows Devices run it. They're on my list of things to BDS.

You know what, I've made my decision. I'm getting the Lumia 950 since it's supposed to be the last flagship with the Lumia branding. Can someone lead me to a place to buy it so that the LTE bands are supported by T-Mobile and unlocked? (No At&t)

Thanks everyone for helping me lead to this decision. Tbh I feel worried about the future of Windows Mobile. I love it and hate it. It's odd but you guys probably have the same relationship. We need to stop moving backwards. We had multiple devices, we had uservoice, we had stability, we had options, but now, we are limited.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Be sure to get RM-1118 model, it supports Band 12 for data usage., and the regular bands 2 and 4. You can find the unlocked model at B&H Photo, and the Microsoft store as well. And Swappa too actually!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Be sure to get RM-1118 model, it supports Band 12 for data usage., and the regular bands 2 and 4. You can find the unlocked model at B&H Photo, and the Microsoft store as well. And Swappa too actually!
Just because a phone supports band 12 doesn't mean it will work with T-Mobile's VoLTE system. It needs to be whitelisted by Darth Legere first. WiFi calling will not work either.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just because a phone supports band 12 doesn't mean it will work with T-Mobile's VoLTE system. It needs to be whitelisted by Darth Legere first. WiFi calling will not work either.
Yep, you are correct. That's why I said data only. I'm indifferent about WiFi calling but where I work, the difference in having a Windows device with and without it, is something I see clearly.

VoLTE depends for me. I appreciate it when I have it, but I have accepted that no Windows phones will have it aside from the 640 and the phones locked to T-Mo this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)