Mixed Signals

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think we can mostly agree that Microsoft has left mobile to slowly die or at least shown it no love for a few years now but what still confuses me is why I still see so many new/current movies and TV shows with many of the characters still using Windows phones? Just the other day I watched Why Him? and Brian Cranston's character was using a Lumia 950. Also T2 Trainspotting, Ray Donovan features several Lumia's and here in the UK, 2 of the biggest soaps EastEnders and Hollyoaks feature many Lumia's and I also spotted an Idol 4S too. This is just a few examples obviously but is this just to keep Windows on mobile relevant somewhat so people still know it's there? Why all the product placement if they're letting it die off (at least to consumers in general)? If it was just to advertise Windows itself I'd understand a little better but it's mostly the handset they show or maybe the calling screen and text messages so people don't really see the OS anyway.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that it is a carryover from Nokia. I remember Nokia devices in movies from way back. Nokia > Nokia Lumia > Microsoft Lumia.

TL;DR I don't know.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think it is the default go-to if Apple or Uncle Sammy don't want to pay product placement fees. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon