Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I made the switch in November last year. Got the Pixel XL. Had planned for the Note 7 but that went up in flames.

I would advise anyone on the market for a phone to get either the S8 or Pixel (no bloat, but difficult to get 128Gb).
If Microsoft has an ace up there sleeve, I'll be ready to listen and maybe purchase in 2018.

jmckinl

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I've been a Microsoft fan for literally decades and a Microsoft user for nearly just as long. I finally gave up on W10M (Lumia 950 XL) and went with the Nexus 6P. I really don't like Android and will miss both wireless charging and removable memory but at least the Nexus line continues to receive timely security updates and it's not iOS.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
No. I will stick with my Lumia 1520 for as long as it continues to function, or until Microsoft releases a worthy upgrade. I just love the 1520 too much.
^ I've yet to see a phone that beats my 1520 and makes me say wow.
Until that, I'm perfectly fine.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

I still love my Lumia 810! With windows 10! What is wrong with old phones!

The people are jumping on new tech when is out and next day is something else out!
I enjoy what I have no needed latest tech!:evil:

passin

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I am fully in love with Windows Mobile still. Everything from Live Tiles to the windows integration just work for me. While I have grown accustom to not having apps, I still believe that once a move is actually set in stone that the store will follow in time. That is where the problem lies, not having a clue what waits for us. While I fully support and plan to stay with Windows Mobile, I also don't want to be left behind on hardware nor forced to a choice of 2 phones only because Microsoft no longer supports the 950. At that point I would have to ask myself if it is worth it when a S8 has updated specs and has accessories that are better integrated with it.

I've given myself until the end of the year to hold off switching. If I knew Windows Mobile was here for the long run, I would of made the jump to the x3 already. I gave full support to this platform before and would love more than anything to keep it there but I'm starting to get extremely hesitant. I feel most of us are in this same boat, not that we are ready to leave but we are ready for more. Hopefully later this year we can all laugh about those that switch and laugh off us thinking of switching since we will all be perfectly content with where it is going!

hans-martijn

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I did get an S7 Edge when it came out. It was a disaster; I couldn't hold it without starting / typing / whatever. I bought a 950XL as replacement and still think that's the best phone (I had) to date. I don't like Android, I don't like Apple and from Apple I especially don't like Apple Support, so I'll stick with my Windows phone as long as possible.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I think for now I will stick with my Lumia 950 XL. I've come to the Windows mobile OS a long time ago, with a HTC Touch Diamond running Windows Mobile 6.1. I never liked Android's UI or Apple's UI. For some reason, a grid of icons doesn't appeal me too much. And I think Apple devices price is big just because they have that particular logo on them.
Anyway, since Windows Mobile 6.1 I had a HTC Radar with Windows Phone 7.5 upgraded to 7.8, a Nokia Lumia 1020 and now a Lumia 950 XL. I have converted my wife too to Windows Phone. Her first Windows device was a Nokia Lumia 800. Then I upgraded her to Nokia Lumia 925 and now she uses a Lumia 950.
I must be honest and admit that Samsung Galaxy S8 appeals me with its display almost without bezel, and its Snapdragon CPU. What I like at SGS8 are its design and its hardware specs. If that device would have run Windows 10 Mobile I would have definitely bought it. I understand that it is possible to have Cortana as the personal assistant on SGS8, and it is possible to have the notifications received on your phone transferred to your PC running Windows 10. But for now I don't feel inclined to spend 800$ on this new device. I'll wait until June when my current Vodafone Romania contract expires and decide then.
If Microsoft, at Build 2007, gives us some hints about what its intentions with Windows 10 Mobile are, and gives us some plausible roadmap for a new device running Windows 10 Mobile (maybe it's Surface Phone, maybe it's something else) then I won't switch sides in June.
Otherwise, if I don't feel that Microsoft intends to continue to invest into Windows 10 Mobile development, and they continue to act like the integration of their cloud services into Android and IOS is more important than their own mobile OS, then probably I will invest in a new SGS8.
In regards of apps ecosystem, I'm probably one of the few people who is content with what Microsoft Store has right now as UWP apps. I mean, I have Facebook, Twitter, Kindle, Instagram, Flickr, WhatsApp, Skype. That's enough for me. Yes, I am frustrated from time to time when some local service provider has an app only for IOS and Android, but I can get over the frustration. Most likely I can use the provider's web site to do the same thing I would have done with the app.
By the way, the DeX doesn't interest me at all, as was it with Microsoft Continuum Dock. At home I have a laptop and no monitor, at work I use a laptop also. I don't plan on carrying around a mouse, a keyboard and some cables.
So, the short answer for me is not right now, but that might change depending on how Microsoft presents itself at Build 2017.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not hard to leave Windows Phone these days. With a company like Microsoft who's running the show doing NOTHING to make it grow. It's stagnet and that is all it will be for many years till Microsoft says good bye to it.

It's sad, I love the OS but, Microsoft as a company sucks at supporting their own products... I hate Android but, at least it's growning STILL and has about every app that Microsoft does not have.

After 6 Windows Phone devices and many things said but, almost nothing came true, I cant do it any more.

khaled22

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Unless something dramatically changes for windows phones (new phones) i will be forced at some point to go on ios or android. For their price range i wouldn't pay 800Euros+ for an iphone nor android. And locally its even more difficult like some of other users getting free high end phones on contract every year. Here it will be a closed 24months with a monthly fee 50-70euros to even consider these kind of phones and pay upfront around 200+ euros also. And i would prefer to buy htc/sony/xiaomi/oneplus rather than samsung or most likely go back to nokia if there are available to my region

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
My 950XL is serving me well. Bought one for my wife a few weeks back as well (incredible price of $250usd). She is delighted with the phone.

Interesting thing happened the other day... Went to purchase tires at EconoLlanta (chain of tire stores in Baja, Sonora, Sinaloa Mexico). They actually had an Android app.. Peaked my curiosity..... but with Windows Mobile I couldn't preview it. So I guess Windows Mobile misses opportunities here and there to engage the business community / consumer economy. That's too bad. However, by and large, I have every app I need..

jtreybal

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, after 7 years with windows phone/mobile as a fanatic, starting with my Samsung Focus, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020 and currently Lumia 950, I'm moving on to Android and the Galaxy S8 plus. I feel that Microsoft has lost interest in mobile... and that the Nokia sale to Microsoft was a very negative thing for the Windows Phone ecosystem. Nokia kept a constant buzz going, with fun and interesting new devices and features. No significant new devices in more than a year, and app developers dropping the OS. I have a band 2, a surface pro 4... I'm all in, but it is now time to at least move on with my phone.

PAMattey

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
OnePlus 3T all the way. Samsung? Hah! No. Microsoft's obvious negligence towards their own mobile platform has forced me and my friends to abandon W10M. I won't even miss it because I'll use Launcher 10 and have the same apps (except in much better quality).
People seem to have been brain washed into thinking that Samsung is the best in the android market, when in reality, there are several other options that are way better. Also it's sad how some Windows 10 Mobile fans are blindly thinking the Surface Phone will save the platform, and I wish that was the case, but the terrible quality of some of the main third party apps is what really kills the platform (Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp) besides Microsoft's lack of interest. The only thing I'll probably miss is myTube! since it's undeniably the best YouTube experience in any platform.

farhaantariq

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
there is no reason to be in a system or out of it....as a software maker.....I m with MS since the dawn of age...whether it pc or mobile or tablet....just because I feel great and at home with MS software products......as a hardware maker....yes I am with hp, dell, MS, Lenovo and others.....

as long as Samsung is concerned....its a really shameless copycat company....since iPhone 2007 its copying its design while using android, they developed tizen which is a nightmare and disaster....and the great exploding batteries of note 7....funny thing is they cant even figure it out till yet...yes till yet that why the batteries were exploding.....I will never ever buy a company's product who doesn't themselves know what was the problem with their exploding batteries....

yes companies have problems in hardware and they improve it....but if they don't know why its happening then what they gona improve? Samsung have nothing original on their own....they copy every move of Apple in hardware and just paste it with android and throw it in the market.

Eric Szumski

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a ZTE Axon 7 sitting here. If I don't like it, I'm going to try the Asus AR. If i still don't like it, I will be switching back to the 950XL until something better comes up. I do love my Windows Phone and have been a user since the Cingular 8125. I will probably end up going back to the 950xl though.

I will not buy a Samsung product. I like the weird brands like this ZTE or Asus. They seem to offer more for the money.

smallmountain

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
When I decided to move away from Windows Phone late last summer, I tried an Android phone. It was not a pleasant experience. I use Outlook.com for mail/calendar/contacts, and Android has a severe case of "Does not play well with others" when it comes to Outlook.com. Using "OK Google" to schedule an appointment? Good luck getting that appointment over to your Outlook.com account.

So over Christmas I decided to try an iPhone (6S Plus). On iPhone, Outlook.com is an equal with any other mail/calendar/contacts service. Maybe because Apple doesn't have a dog in that fight, you think? "Hey, Siri" puts appointments on my Outlook.com calendar. Is this improved with the S8 Windows edition? That would be something useful that someone at Windows Central could look into.

I also greatly disliked that on Android, I needed an app for every blessed thing I wanted my phone to do. I don't love that iOS is so closed, and there are still a number of things I miss about my Windows Phone, but for me, iOS has been a much better choice for replacing my Windows Phone than Android.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I will stick with my 950XL.
But I play in both groups. Android and Windows.
I buy, sell, and trade Android phones frequently.
Currently I also have an LG G5, a Note 4 and an ASUS tablet. I understand, not everybody can have more than one.
Windows is my OS of choice, but Android is no slouch.
Continuum, as an alternative Web surfing view, using Edge browser, worked so badly, I almost never use the dock with the larger screen. Worked EXCELLENT with office apps though.
If Windows Mobile wants to stay relevant to more than just a few business users and fanboys, then it needs to enter into the mainstream and pickup some of the apps that the "kids" are using.
The children are our future, and if they are not using the OS then they are investing in something else, and less likely to leave their current OS later.

cr_buck

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm strongly considering leaving Windows Mobile and getting an S8. As a fan since the Samsung Focus came out, I've seen Microsoft do great things regularly only to destroy them later. Yes others do it but not to the extent of Microsoft. Others take their ideas and make them work where Microsoft seems to still be searching for a path. What's worse is the staff at Microsoft keep asking for input but lately seem less inclined to take it to heart. I am seeing more often where instead MS attacks those it asked to help if they don't like their work or at the very least just ignore them. It's a strange feeling because MS has smart, passionate people but it just feels like no one knows where they are going and those bright people are trying not to burn out. I hope the leadership at Microsoft shows a definite path to us and their staff soon because it is getting harder to be a Microsoft fan the longer they remain silent. As an IT professional for over 20 years I am alone among my colleagues in support of or being a fan of Microsoft and I may be pushed away if they don't show direction soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans