Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been holding out hope for quite some time. I pinned my hopes on Cerulean. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on Verizon. No Cerulean there. I've ordered up an S8. I'm not happy about it. Love Windows. Hoping that by the time My S8 is needing replacing Microsoft will have gotten their act together so I can come back to the mobile platform I love.

Jordan_Musser

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

To this day i still prefer the OS of Windows Mobile over iOS and Android. However I disconnected my Lumia 950 and went to Samsung Galaxy... Soon Galaxy S8... I still prefer Windows Mobile overall but the constant bugs, rebooting, crashing as well as lack of apps finally caught up to me. In fact it wasn't really the lack of apps it was mostly the issues windows 10 mobile has. Watching a video and the device suddenly rebooting, in the middle of typing a message and this phone reboots, there were numerous bugs all over the OS and I finally had enough.

Do I love Android? Not at all but it is better than iOS and it is the closest you will get to Windows Mobile. However I do like that the phone never reboots when i am in the middle of doing anything. Google Maps is still the best Maps and GPS application on any mobile device. The Microsoft Services sync well across the device and WOW I am not one that needs apps in order to survive but having them is very nice... Yahoo, fantasy Sports, my banking app, some other non windows applications are nice to have as well and Samsung Pay is the kicker - every card i have today is supported it works really well and the CVS app is amazing. Also my Microsoft band works flawlessly on the Samsung as opposed to Windows Mobile when i would seldomly receive a notification and it would stop syncing altogether.

I still have my Lumia 950 and will play with it and update it when ever there is a push but it is still unpolished. Even with the Creators update it is a bit snappier but it is still unreliable - i was actually watching the Galaxy S8 event on it and halfway through it rebooted on its own. I will be back one day but not today. I finally had enough after 5 years.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I still love my Lumia 810! With windows 10! What is wrong with old phones!

The people are jumping on new tech when is out and next day is something else out!
I enjoy what I have no needed latest tech!:evil:

I still have an 810 I use for the odd thing around the house. Can you actually get w10m on it?

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I will be leaving with the hope of coming back. I do love my 950xl but I am a consumer and nothing is being done for the consumer. I don't want to leave I love the look and feel of the OS but the OS just is not enough features and apps do matter. One big one for me is tap to pay. Here in the UK Microsoft pay is not a arable with no sign of it either. Might not be a big deal for most but I never carry cash and only pay by card. Here in the UK you can't do Contactless payments in most shops so I would no longer have to carry my card. What makes this even more annoying is I had the 930 before and that phone also had the hardware ability but same there no support from Microsoft. App wise we all know developers are not massive supporters of the platform and after my initial hope with UWP it does not seem to be going anywhere. I think this is mainly down to Microsoft not updating all phones to Windows 10 and also due to the fact they have shown little interest in Windows 10 mobile. If only they could be more open and say what they have got planned and show us they have got plans for the future. I have been waiting for the mythical Surface phone. But right now even if it was announced next week I would hold off. I have pre-ordered the S8 plus and I am really excited about it. I remember feeling the same with my previous Lumia's. I hate that I am leaving and becoming one of them people but Microsoft you have left me no choice. But as I said hopefully I will be back.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay, got to play with the S8 at Costco yesterday.

1. Odd form factor. Way too narrow and long.

2. No removable battery. I know my X3 doesn't either, but this should be available.

3. Glass back. Stupid idea.

4. Touchwiz. 'nuff said.

5. No sd card support again.

I cannot see why Samsung would mess up so much. I'm sure, though, they will sell millions. My son was ready to get rid of his POS S7 (which was a replacement for the decent but glass backed Note 7.) but opted for a LG V20 instead. He hated the look and feel of the S8.

Sent from mTalk

epakrat75

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Samsung has probably done the most to bastardize the Android OS experience and confuse the public. It's all in the name of distinction from other OEMs, I suppose.

I would never buy another Galaxy anything again. Samsung messes with experience far too much IMO and the physical / reversed buttons are obnoxious to me. The average user wouldn't recognize Android outside of a Samsung device.

At least with Windows 10 Mobile it's how MS intended it to be just like the discontinued Google Nexus series (which I loved) or any iPhone. The Pixel is a disappointment though but they're selling to totally different demographic now. Windows Phone is the only option that makes to me in the here and now so it is where I'll stay.

Last edited:

Elvis7

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Sticking with Windows until it catches fire and rises from the ashes as a beast of a mobile platform.... Lol currently using my 950xl with fried usb c port. Can only charge it wirelessly! XD

Sylvrwulf

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm with you. Me, my wife, and both my parents have Icons and the thought of switching is unpleasant to say the least. Although, I'm seriously considering switching providers. Verizon has no love for Windows Mobile and I don't have much love left for them. Thinking of one of the smaller companies that will do AT&T phones like Cricket or T-Mobile and check out the Alcatel IDOL or the new WhartonBrooks. I'd love a HP Elite X3, but its a bit out of my price range.

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely not switching to the S8 or to any other phone until something that really wow's me comes along. There is nothing especial about the S8, and specially not their fake continuum that has nowhere to go (meaning since android apps cannot properly adapt to different screen sizes and inputs it will stay limited to a couple of admittedly very powerful app, but too few nonetheless). It's further hampered by the fact that can only be used with a dock and by the fact that the phone can't be used at all while docked.

Anyway I still much prefer my 950 XL for a multitude of reasons, the most obvious being Windows 10 ( I find android disgusting) as well as other such as a camera button, removable battery and contiuum which I use constantly wirelessly as an entertainment center in my living room. I will as long as necessary for the surface mobile or (if that takes too long) the next version of the elite x3

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Switching to Android not only means leaving behind everything I love about the OS, but everything I love about the apps I use, from Chronos Calendar to Loco Music to Microsoft Mojang. I don't want to abandon the apps I've grown to love since 2012 and have to hunt for replacements all over again.

Just realised I didn't actually mention the phone at all. That's where we're at really; the hardware is fairly irrelevant at this plateau of the smartphone market. If I was going to switch to Android I'd have done it already. The S8 changes little.

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm an IT professional. I have 75 Windows Phones deployed to staff. My wife and I have been Windows Phone users since the Samsung Focus. I have kept all of our old Windows Phones (920/640/830), which still work, and we currently have 950's We'll stop using Windows Phones when all of those phones bite the dust.

The integration of Windows Phone with my Surface, and both my work and home PCs is something I don't want to give up. And even outside of the ecosystem, the phones just do what we need them to do, The app gap has never really been an issue for us. IE and Edge have been an occasional PITA, but everything else is fine for the most part.

I have used and supported Android and iPhone in the past, and I don't look forward to having to go back to that. Since I switched our company to Windows Phones, I don't ever really have to work on phones anymore. With the other two platforms, I had someone in my office every single week with a phone problem.

All Windows Phone needs is for its creator to support it, listen to its fans, and let us go into the world and show other what it can do. Given the common kernel and C-Shell, how costly could it really be to continue to support it? MS Took away Media Center, which I loved, and now they seem disinterested and supporting another product I love.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm good with my Idol 4S for the next three years. If there are no windows phones by then, I guess I'll just get a Nokia 3310. I hate iOS and Android that much. :smile:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No matter how much marketing hype they throw out there, they can't convince me the S8 will improve my smartphone experience. My Idol4s, along with W10, meet most every need I have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Fuchur84

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
See it quite the same. The s8 is greatly overhyped. Nothing unique about it... Everything has been done by the hp elite x3 or the newest lg smartphones.

There is only multiwindow support in desktop mode which is "newer" but it comes with big disadvantages like an active fan (louder and needs a dock by samsung... Can not just use a usb-c dongle), not being able to use it wireless and not being able to use the touchscreen as touchpad for it and even if they could do it wireless... If they need a fan it means a high energy consumption (heat = energy).

Looks like some kind of dual boot with chrome os and android there... I would take that for granted if you are emulating x86, but it is not.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

To be honest.
I don't know.
On one side MS with almost zero wowfactordevelopment.
And on the other side Android building his way to the top.

And the hardware?
Seen one windows device you seen them all.
There is not one device that sweeps people of there feet.
Cortana is stil cripled.
As is Continuum.

On hardware?
Not many choises...
and MS is not helping by pulling from time to time there 950 (xl) out of the store.
And other windows devices are hard to come by.

If that doesnt change in a year or so then i might jump ship.
For now i am stil content with my 950

Limer24

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Lumia 950xl user here. Also still possess the Nokia Lumia 925, the HTC HD7 and the HTC HD2, so I've invested heavily in Windows Mobile/Phone over the years. If nothing positive comes out at Build 2017 regarding the future of the platform, I'm getting the Galaxy S8+ later this year (love that beautiful screen). Enough is enough with the wishy washy dillydallying from the Microsoft leadership. Either you intend to explicitly support the platform going forward or you plan to shut the thing down. Either way, loyal users are completely fed up of the dumbing down of the ecosystem and the disrespectful silence meted out to Windows loyalists.

SunToucher

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'll be sticking with my 950XL for now. I came close to getting an HP Elite, but after further thought, I stayed with the 950XL. There is nothing wrong with it and it is performing very well for a two year old phone, that I use daily in the bush. I've used Android phones over the years, but they just aren't my thing.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used any high end phones of android and windows phone but I have used lot of low and mid range phone of android and windows phone, In which windows phone is top in terms of performance,battery life,OS stability etc but if there will no mid range phone then I will have to switch, hope that will not happen.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss