Samsung Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh boy - anyone read this article from Al earlier today? What do you think is up here from Microsoft? Gauging interest, perhaps testing things out for a move towards Android or?...

Sound off!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really interested in Samsung devices. Microsoft apps are already available for any Android devices in Google Play Store. TBH, the only Microsoft app I really use is OneDrive.

So no, I'm not buying.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
IMO, the main draw to the S8 for a Windows Mobile fan is that this is the device Microsoft is endorsing. You will be able to buy this phone in Microsoft's stores. Otherwise, as Laura said, the apps are available for any Android.

I believe that Microsoft's reasoning behind offering an Android is to offer their customers a mobile solution. With Lumia gone, they do not have a phone. This way they can at least offer their customers something. With DeX and Microsoft's apps, it somewhat resembles what Microsoft tried to create on their own.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Only available in store and not online. No way that has mass appeal...

I'm 2 hours and 42 minutes from the nearest store (time wise - no traffic). 183.4 miles each way.

Another store is physically closer at 170.2 miles, but actually takes more time to get to due to routing via more roadways and less Interstate Highway.

That's a lot of miles to get a phone that:
  1. I'm not interested in
  2. Has no hardware or software additions or benefits
  3. Is carrier locked to AT&T and has AT&T firmware bloating it, especially in light of the fact that I am not an AT&T prime customer (I'm on Cricket)
  4. Provides no price discount, when other retailers ate very likely to offer it for less online in a month or less
  5. Has some greasy fingered dude (or dudette) kludging it up as they attempt to install Apps from Google Play which I am more than capable of doing and I would not want them fingering the Play Store with a live account logged into my details in any event
It's a non-starter.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
IMO, the main draw to the S8 for a Windows Mobile fan is that this is the device Microsoft is endorsing. You will be able to buy this phone in Microsoft's stores. Otherwise, as Laura said, the apps are available for any Android.

I believe that Microsoft's reasoning behind offering an Android is to offer their customers a mobile solution. With Lumia gone, they do not have a phone. This way they can at least offer their customers something. With DeX and Microsoft's apps, it somewhat resembles what Microsoft tried to create on their own.

Agreed.

Aside from this, I doubt that they are seriously considering Android.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They should just pledge for 4,000 Cerulean Moments instead. Right?

They could. But why does the future of this device, and possibly a mobile platform, rest a kickstarter, funded by a few fans? That's essentially what I'm reading. $1.1 million is less than pocket change to Microsoft. They could do this if they wanted. They don't even need WhartonBrooks. They have (or had) their own phone hardware manufacturing division. It was shut down.

I don't think there's value in artificially funding this, since it wouldn't have any reflection on consumer interest. Didn't NuAns do the kickstarter primarily to gauge interest? I don't think they needed the money.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They could. But why does the future of this device, and possibly a mobile platform, rest a kickstarter, funded by a few fans? That's essentially what I'm reading. $1.1 million is less than pocket change to Microsoft. They could do this if they wanted. They don't even need WhartonBrooks. They have (or had) their own phone hardware manufacturing division. It was shut down.

I don't think there's value in artificially funding this, since it wouldn't have any reflection on consumer interest. Didn't NuAns do the kickstarter primarily to gauge interest? I don't think they needed the money.

Wharton Brooks had a major funder back out just when they were set to order the first production run. The crowd funding is a stop gap to fill that void with needed capitol.

NuAns is another small maker. It's my impression they did need the capitol to fund certification and regulatory fees in the markets they wanted to target.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wharton Brooks had a major funder back out just when they were set to order the first production run. The crowd funding is a stop gap to fill that void with needed capitol.

NuAns is another small maker. It's my impression they did need the capitol to fund certification and regulatory fees in the markets they wanted to target.
Unfortunately I don't see any better success for WhartonBrooks than the was for NuAns.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes they probably did. They were trying to get it in the US. But I wonder why they went ahead with Android without a crowdfunding campaign.

I can't verify this, but I'm pretty sure the CEO or president or someone related to NuAns said it was at least partially to measure consumer interest. Crowdfunding campaign are sometimes used for that reason. That's why I think Microsoft or someone else doesn't pay out.

Look at it this way: you are an investor with $1 million. If consumers won't pony up, do you pay for them, trusting they'll buy it from you later? It's easy for us to put in $300, and it wouldn't hurt most of us financially even if we ended up losing it. But $1 million? That's a different story!

Unfortunately I don't see any better success for WhartonBrooks than the was for NuAns.

So far they're on pace for about the same result, right around 20% of their goal. But fortunately we're only a few days in, so there's plenty of time.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

And every time that sentiment is posted, it helps ensure before hand that it becomes correct.
@Laura Knotek don't you remember the Buy an App Day fiasco? I thought you understood the battle of hope vs apathy...

No one is being asked to fax glitter here. This is something that CAN be accomplished if enough users pull together.

#ThisIsOurMoment

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
And every time that sentiment is posted, it helps ensure before hand that it becomes correct.
@Laura Knotek don't you remember the Buy an App Day fiasco? I thought you understood the battle of hope vs apathy...

No one is being asked to fax glitter here. This is something that CAN be accomplished if enough users pull together.

https://youtu.be/skd-5yTs678

#ThisIsOurMoment
To answer the question, yes I did indeed buy apps.

Regarding fundraising efforts, I only support legitimate charities in fundraising. I do not consider business endeavours to be something to contribute money towards unless I have stake in the company as a shareholder and the company's financial success also contributes to my personal financial success.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Samsung Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition"

It's a pointless gimmick IMO. I'm sure most Android users know that they can simply download Microsoft apps from Google Play. If they wanted to make it interesting, they should have loaded it with Windows 10 Mobile. That way, people will be able to buy the S8 in two distinct flavours.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a pointless gimmick IMO. I'm sure most Android users know that they can simply download Microsoft apps from Google Play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's reasoning behind carrying the S8 is to be able to offer their customers a mobile solution. Otherwise, they have nothing.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Nate W - wait - what? Harmon Kardon? I must have missed something...
Samsung bought Harman Kardon back in March. They own the bulk of the shares or something of that nature...I am not familiar enough to know in detail how they own them, but there more details over the web...Samsung Electronics Completes Acquisition of HARMAN

However, I do not think the Cortana Speaker if it is branded with Harman is built with Samsung in the picture, but who knows. Or it could mean v.2 would be...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am on GSMarena a lot (not as much as WC!). Of course being geared more toward Android devices, that is where I followed it first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes