The NEXT Windows Phone

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone. Microsoft. 3rd Parties... what are we going to see in the Windows Phone world in terms of new hardware over the next 3 months? 6 months? 1+ year from now?

What do you think? Are we going to get new hardware from Microsoft, or will it all be third party goodness? Or nothing at all?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In the next 3 months, I see nothing. 6 months, there's that Wileyfox phone and possibly the rumored HP device. 1 year and some from now, we might see that Surface phone from Microsoft.

I can't see Microsoft suddenly deciding to release something this year. Maybe late next year, but it's going to be a good while.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
In the next 3 months, I see nothing. 6 months, there's that Wileyfox phone and possibly the rumored HP device. 1 year and some from now, we might see that Surface phone from Microsoft.

I can't see Microsoft suddenly deciding to release something this year. Maybe late next year, but it's going to be a good while.

As Daniel and others have said over and over again, they need to give us something though. Maybe not a launch, but tell us what they're working on. I'm expecting that by Microsoft Build next month or maybe a couple weeks after, we'll know a bit more about the future of Windows mobile. If they don't show us or tell us anything soon though, they're going to have an even longer and harder road to win back the mobile community.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As Daniel and others have said over and over again, they need to give us something though. Maybe not a launch, but tell us what they're working on. I'm expecting that by Microsoft Build next month or maybe a couple weeks after, we'll know a bit more about the future of Windows mobile. If they don't show us or tell us anything soon though, they're going to have an even longer and harder road to win back the mobile community.

I totally agree. I hope that more will be said too, they kind of need to. It's been more than a year since they released ANY phones and most of the phones they have are basically out of warranty unless you're in the UK or EU.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft target is windows mobile to run full windows .we may not see any windows phone from Microsoft,hp in 2017.

Sent from mTalk

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft target is windows mobile to run full windows .we may not see any windows phone from Microsoft,hp in 2017.

Sent from mTalk

I'm have no doubt their goal is to run some form of full Windows 10 on mobile. However, if they don't tell us how they plan to accomplish it or show us what the architecture looks like, the user community is just going to shrink even more and become more fractured. Microsoft stated that they wanted to continue developing Windows mobile because if they stopped it would be too difficult or even impossible to restart. They're continuing to give software updates, but they're not showing us what the future really holds or if there even is a future beyond the CU. And they're certainly not showing us any devices. I already know there's no future for my particular phone as it wasn't even on the supported CU list. By not supporting current devices or at least providing an avenue for upgrades, they're alienating a lot of the user base, which just exacerbates the issue. With Android and iOS, it's automatically assumed there's going to be a new device every year from someone. That's not the case with Windows. What few third parties remain could pull out at any time (within the terms of whatever agreements they have that we aren't privy to), and that's what scares a lot of us. We don't know where the devices are going to come from or if we're even going to get devices.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm have no doubt their goal is to run some form of full Windows 10 on mobile. However, if they don't tell us how they plan to accomplish it or show us what the architecture looks like, the user community is just going to shrink even more and become more fractured. Microsoft stated that they wanted to continue developing Windows mobile because if they stopped it would be too difficult or even impossible to restart. They're continuing to give software updates, but they're not showing us what the future really holds or if there even is a future beyond the CU. And they're certainly not showing us any devices. I already know there's no future for my particular phone as it wasn't even on the supported CU list. By not supporting current devices or at least providing an avenue for upgrades, they're alienating a lot of the user base, which just exacerbates the issue. With Android and iOS, it's automatically assumed there's going to be a new device every year from someone. That's not the case with Windows. What few third parties remain could pull out at any time (within the terms of whatever agreements they have that we aren't privy to), and that's what scares a lot of us. We don't know where the devices are going to come from or if we're even going to get devices.
Yes, Microsoft need to clear all things about windows mobile at build 2017

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
They're not going to reveal their plans and/or prototypes before they are ready so their competitors gain an advantage. That would be suicide. Does Apple do that?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Did anyone see Dan's article today. Helps to clear things up a bit, but doesn't reveal everything.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

It sort of clarifies but really just leaves it wide open to the point that "nobody really knows what is going on". I'm not sure what to think of that.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that we may get a few devices in 2017, but nothing important, even if HP releases the x3 refresh or whatever. The first major and noteworthy thing we're gonna see is Win on ARM, and my guess for that is somewhere in 2018. Late 2017 at best, in the case that someone's already working on it.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmm, well it seems like companies like xiaomi, cube, TCL (altacel), or HP may release windows products, given its currently a niche without much competition, unlike android.

I can see windows cloud coming out this year, and I expect windows on arm to come out this year too - but the initial focus will be on killing the chrome book, and broadening MS's tablet marketshare.

I am fairly confident we will see windows on ARM this year, along with windows cloud - so that's two new editions of win 10 - on arm, and cloud IMO, this year. But the focus won't be to run straight to mobile. It'll be to extend that tablet share and reclaim that budget laptop share.

I also see Cortana's bot intergration happening this year, and likely WM will get that, seeing as they have Cortana, which will bring quite a few new tricks, like getting local news via voice, voice based games, booking hotels/taxis via voice and more. As the "skiils ecosystem" of Cortana expands, it will become fully viable as a primary control, which opens up smart IoT devices a lot.

But I don't think MS themselves will release a mobile device this year. They MIGHT, and all this downplaying could be to increase impact of an unveil, but I suspect the surface phone, and its new form factor companion will come next year.

The again, it could all come late this year for all I know. MS is good and hinting, but it keeps cards up its sleeve every time.

I have a weird feeling we might see a watch. Or some kind of wearable. That might also have phone and LTE capability. It would sort of fit, with the Cortana bot intergration, to come out with not just a smart home device, but something else primarily voice operated.

Definitely with so many pies in the over, something will come for mobile in the next two, from MS, hardware wise. In the meantime, I doubt it will be a quiet year on the software front, and I would not expect a complete absence of third party products either.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should throw some money at Alcatel to make a WM10 version of their latest Idol 5. It would make a really really good mid range device.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
It's quite clear MS doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the WP consumer users (like us) but I can't see them screwing over HP and the business users purchasing the X3. If all of a sudden they stop working on mobile what would HP do after spending all the money on the X3 and the rumored X3 refresh?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs