Positive Windows phone news thread

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp is de facto king of communication/social app over this region. More frequently used than FB or FB messenger.
Everyone, and I mean everyone. Even my elderly uncle, to his children's housemaid's butcher niece.
We use no longer use sentences like "I'll text/sms you" but "I'll WhatsApp you"
It has been like that for couple of years..

... !!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Satya Nadella on future Windows phones: 'I'm sure we'll make more' | Windows Central

This just in. Nadella:

We make phones today, we have OEMs like HP making phones and others and we picked a very specific area to focus on which is management, security, and this one particular feature that we have called Continuum, which is a phone that can even be a desktop."
"We're making sure that all of our software is available on iOS and Android and it's first class, and we're looking for what's the next change in form and function. What we've done with Surface is a good example. No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming. And that's what we want to do. So when you say we'll make more phones, I'm sure we'll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are there today."

That's probably as clear as it will get for the distant future. Westworld style. In the meantime there's windows 10m, and fingers crossed some more damned manufacturers!

That is great news. Not to be a negative nanny, but, when is this going down? I'm 57, I can't wait until Nadella's grand child is CEO for them to finally release something. lol Besides, my 735 won't last that long.

Sent from mTalk

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That is great news. Not to be a negative nanny, but, when is this going down? I'm 57, I can't wait until Nadella's grand child is CEO for them to finally release something. lol Besides, my 735 won't last that long.

Sent from mTalk

Don't spend your final years in remorse that you don't have a westworld tablet, or a "her" phone! There couldn't be a deeper tragedy. Cryogenically freeze yourself and transport yourself directly to the future!

You may lose an eye, or be a vegetable, but as you hold that baby in your hands and stream the latest 'fight to the death in a pit: canary islands', munching away on some food pills, in your bunker away from the sunless sky, you'll know it was all worth it.

For a more serious answer though, foldable screens and conversation as a full platform, are probably not that far away. Maybe 5 years. Graphene is largely about the cost of manufacture.

They could make em now, but each proto device would cost a maybe 15-20k I think. I mean they have made protos. It's pretty hard to predict something like that however, but if they could make only the seam graphene, and the cost came down a tad, perhaps it could be made affordable sometime soon. Or well by affordable, I mean a plaything for the rich.

Machine learning and conversation as a platform is more predictable. Clearly we are making strides there. Not costly either. So something like a her phone or watch, or headset, is not inconceivable being close, even if it wouldn't actually be intelligent.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For a more serious answer though, foldable screens and conversation as a full platform, are probably not that far away. Maybe 5 years. Graphene is largely about the cost of manufacture.

They could make em now, but each proto device would cost a maybe 15-20k I think. I mean they have made protos. It's pretty hard to predict something like that however, but if they could make only the seam graphene, and the cost came down a tad, perhaps it could be made affordable sometime soon. Or well by affordable, I mean a plaything for the rich.

Machine learning and conversation as a platform is more predictable. Clearly we are making strides there. Not costly either. So something like a her phone or watch, or headset, is not inconceivable being close, even if it wouldn't actually be intelligent.

Predictive text is largely OS-specific and the market it caters to. For example, on my iPhone as I type "I'm going into the" my next suggestion to come up is "club" while on my Windows or BlackBerry it's "office". I'm in my 50s so guess which one is most likely to be correct?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Predictive text is largely OS-specific and the market it caters to. For example, on my iPhone as I type "I'm going into the" my next suggestion to come up is "club" while on my Windows or BlackBerry it's "office". I'm in my 50s so guess which one is most likely to be correct?
😂

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Well, you can see where Siri's mind is.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

dan bruce

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I for one, love the Windows Mobile OS, and in spite of the so called lack of apps and lack of so called new high end phones, Microsoft continues to support the mobile platform. I will continue my support as long as the platform exists.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Link between shanghai Microsoft conference and Alcatel? Conference is held in same city as Alcatel headquarters. But I think this is probably just coincidence: Microsoft will show the world "what's next" on 23 May, but what is next? - Pocket-lint

Shanghai is a trade centre for Chinese technology (and they are primary manufacturers). It'll be there to directly show off a new technology to those who would then make and sell it. Thusly, I am betting its something relatively "new form".

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Not news, but, I thought I would share anyway...

My wife has an iPhone 6sPlus (or however you write it) and she is a picture taking fanatic! She loves taking pictures of EVERYTHING, all the time.

A while back, we were out on a date and her phone was iPhone was dead. She says to me "Take a picture of us!" which, of course, I did.

She looked at the picture and said "Those Windows phones have nice cameras!" And since then, if we are together she either uses my phone for pictures or has me take the pictures.

I have a Lumia 1520 BTW.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett