Supporting family with Windows 10 mobile... is it time to call it a day?

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My Windows Phone fandom has lead me to do a stupid thing such as setting up my family with Windows Phones.

A couple of years ago, the platform had promise with Nokia pumping out nice devices and the UI is attractive and easy to use - perfect for parents.

Fast forward to April 2017... & the situation is bleak.

Personally, I'm okay with inflicting the W10m on myself. But it's not fair to do the same to my family. Plus, supporting them on Windows 10 mobile is becoming difficult.

It is time to transition them to iPhones? (iPhone beats Android for ease of use IMO).

It's sad :cry:, but I think the answer is yes. There's no news on what the future of Windows on mobile is going to be. Full Windows on ARM sounds nice, but who knows how good it'll be & it'll probably be September before we learn more.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
As much as I tried I was never able to get my kids to use my Lumia phones never mind own one. They want and need apps and it's embarrassing enough for us when we have to tell people "nah I can't download that app as I'm on a Windows phone" let alone a kid in todays world. They had cheap Android phones til they proved they could look after them and be responsible then went onto iPhones and they couldn't be happier. Not only that whenever I have an iPhone its great setting up a family with me my wife and kids so we can share Apple music, iMessage and we can share location indefinitely so anytime we open the FindMyFriends app we can see where we all are in real time so it's great for keeping tabs on the children without pestering them all the time and knowing they're safe

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Originally all windows family now in the middle of transitioning to Android. I have been carrying both phones for the last 6 months and have just come to the conclusion that the other platforms do more while losing none of the functionality of W10M. Chromecast are great, and as dov1978 mentioned, there is lots and lots of family support apps and programs to use that W10M will never get.

I'm sure there is plenty of us in the same situation as you. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to help!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm fortunate in that regard as my Dad still rocks a flip phone. That said..... I just upgraded to last years new model, the 650. I've got my 640 as a designated streaming device, and should be getting another to keep on a drawer, just in case, to hold me out for the long summer, er winter.. I don't know. But I'm staying around until the janitor starts to sweep up.

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, on WP7 days, while I still had my LG E900, I bought a Lumia 800 for my sister, a year or two later, I bought a pair of Lumia 520 for both my sister and my mom, and when I replaced my L920 with a L930, I gave the 920 to my sister, which in turn gave her L520 to her husband.

The situation now is: My sister dumped her L920 for a 4th-gen Moto G, my mom got an Asus Zenfone 2 after her L520 broke and my in-law is about to buy any cheap Android phone he could find to replace the L520 due the lack of apps.

I'm still using my L930 simply because I really like that camera.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have my girlfriend, uncle, brother and mom on Windows Phones.

Common complaint I hear from them how FACEBOOK and Messenger stability sucks. I've heard my girlfriend and uncle already saying they plan to get another phone.

Good thing there's Slim Social but it's still different compared to using the real Facebook.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
N1cks, would say you are looking at the same situation as a lot of W10M users are now, and a lot of us that came over from being Blackberry fans and families. With the next few months holding possible turn around for W10 on Arm, would recommend hanging tough for a few more weeks. Buyer's remorse sitting on $600-$700 iPhone devices all around if Microsoft finally sticks the landing with this ARM talk would be bad. I am holding out for just that, if I am not happy with what is introduced and possible... Blackberry backed Androids are coming for all in this family.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of Jason, all commenters here are moving their families to Android or iOS.

Just checked out Slim Social. Much faster than the official FB app - thx for that greedo_greedy.

So my strategy for my family's mobile future is wait a few more weeks. Hopefully by this time, after the Microsoft Build Conference, we'll have something more solid to go on. Something like 'yep, we're shutting up shop, please use our services on iOS and Android'.

For me personally, I'll hang on to my Lumia 950 XL for a while yet. Love my start screen.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I got inspired by Windows Phone mainly by my uncle. He didn't suggest me to buy one or got me one but i wanted to try something new after being on android for a year or two. Then my father bought a budget Lumia 630, my mom later got my 630 and then 640 xl and the 630 owner now id my father and his Lumia went to my grandfather. Meanwhile also my aunt got a Lumia 535 and my friend got a 640 (probably because he liked my 630 and he still had a feature phone).
My family don't really care about apps, so they will probably stick with their Lumias until they stop working. I am secretly already looking for possible replacement, but just to have a plan B - not switching anytime soon but i am leaning towards iOS even if I dislike Apple for removing headphone jack and their ridiculous pricing. Don't ask me what am I going to do with my family once their Lumias die, because I have no idea.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Man this doesn't get any easier. I moved myself and alot of family members over to Windows Mobile. I made the plunge in 2013 with the Lumia 520 leaving behind an iPhone 4. Later moved to the 810 for T-Mobile.
In 2014 picked up the 920 and shortly after, my wife left her iPhone 4S and picked up the 1520. At that same time gave my daughter the 810 as her first phone (pre-paid by the minute of course). Got my brother-in-law, dad and father-in-law Lumia 635's. Other brother-in-law got a 635 also after leaving the iPhone 4. My mom was the only holdout with a Samsung Galaxy.
2015 came around and upgrades galore. I grabbed an 830, graduated my dad and dad in law to 640's. Bro-in-law 1 grabs a 640 as well. My daughter grabbed my old 920 mainly for the wireless charging.
2016 comes and more upgrades and some departures. My wife grabs a 950, my daughter has her uncles old 640 and dad in law comes up on an unlocked dual sim 950. My dad stayed with the 640. By now both my brothes-in-law left for Android. Later in 2016 I get the 950 via insurance.
2017 and we still have the same phones except my daughter. I got her a used 830, but looks like the switch will begin soon. I am in the process of switching my mom to an iPhone over Android, which means my dad will follow suit. I will probably stick it out with W10 and my daughter probably will to. All iOS games she likes she plays on her iPad. My wife and dad-in-law?! Not sure what will happen but he has been complaining on compatibility issues. He will either switch back to iOS or Android not sure. My wife already carries an iPhone for work, but sometimes she wishes she could do more so she might want to switch soon as well. My 2018 will be very different than it has been the last few years.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My wife uses an iPhone and my girls Androids. I've never been one to convince people in my family to use what I use.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is harder than I thought.

Below is my Lumia 950 XL, a new iPhone 6s & an old Samsung Note 3 (running Nougat).

I only received the iPhone only yesterday.

The Winner?

I dunno.

The iPhone isn’t as convincing as I thought.

I actually still prefer my Lumia – if only it had proper apps :-s.

Summary:

iPhone
Pros: Today view is nice (shame I can’t set it as the Home screen). Super smooth. Easy set-up. Siri is quite good.
Cons: No back button. $$.

Android
Pros: I quite like the Arrow launcher. Lots of customisation. Can set default apps (Opera is a nice browser). Some widgets are nice.
Cons: Lots of customisation. Widgets are fussy. Google.

Windows mobile
Pro: Love the live tiles (6Tag Instragram tile is great). Right amount of customisation. Email & calendar are excellent.
Cons: Poor quality FB apps. Slow at times. Edge browser is rubbish. The OS is dead .

With family in mind, I think the iPhone wins.
I’ve to decide for sure in the next couple of days, as I’m visiting them later this month.

For myself, it’s going to be a face-off between the S8 & the iPhone 8 – but I’ll decide that later on.

win_20170704_09_50_01_pro3.jpg

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I still go back and forth
Arrow launcher is pretty nice. The Iphone speed and stability is excellent. The UI if W10m is unparalleled.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I finally gave in and went iPhone. Got an iPad Pro to go with it. While all platforms have issues, there's just far fewer on this side.
Still have my Idol 4s to play around with so staying in contact.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I finally gave in and went iPhone. Got an iPad Pro to go with it. While all platforms have issues, there's just far fewer on this side.
You didn't give in, you did what was best for you. No shame in that.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ooh I didn't know that you got a iPad Pro too. What size? How is it so far?

Agreed. I think it doesn't make sense to try to force something that isn't the best choice for you anymore in the name of loyalty.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. I bought my beautiful young bride a 640 last year because she does nothing but Facebook, text, and phone. Our younger son wanted Iphone because all - and I mean all - his friends have one. My older son wanted Android for the exact same reason - all his friends have Iphones.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

True, it's just that once to plant yourself into an ecosystem you like, you'd like it to continue to perform to your expectations. As of right now, though it takes some work to change, I had to do this. But like I said, I can still play around with W10 and wait for the mythical phone fairy to show up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte