My Windows Phone fandom has lead me to do a stupid thing such as setting up my family with Windows Phones.

A couple of years ago, the platform had promise with Nokia pumping out nice devices and the UI is attractive and easy to use - perfect for parents.

Fast forward to April 2017... & the situation is bleak.

Personally, I'm okay with inflicting the W10m on myself. But it's not fair to do the same to my family. Plus, supporting them on Windows 10 mobile is becoming difficult.

It is time to transition them to iPhones? (iPhone beats Android for ease of use IMO).

It's sad , but I think the answer is yes. There's no news on what the future of Windows on mobile is going to be. Full Windows on ARM sounds nice, but who knows how good it'll be & it'll probably be September before we learn more.
    aximtreo and mrdoubleb like this.
    04-19-2017 01:15 AM
    As much as I tried I was never able to get my kids to use my Lumia phones never mind own one. They want and need apps and it's embarrassing enough for us when we have to tell people "nah I can't download that app as I'm on a Windows phone" let alone a kid in todays world. They had cheap Android phones til they proved they could look after them and be responsible then went onto iPhones and they couldn't be happier. Not only that whenever I have an iPhone its great setting up a family with me my wife and kids so we can share Apple music, iMessage and we can share location indefinitely so anytime we open the FindMyFriends app we can see where we all are in real time so it's great for keeping tabs on the children without pestering them all the time and knowing they're safe
    dgr_874 and libra89 like this.
    04-19-2017 01:35 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you. Originally all windows family now in the middle of transitioning to Android. I have been carrying both phones for the last 6 months and have just come to the conclusion that the other platforms do more while losing none of the functionality of W10M. Chromecast are great, and as dov1978 mentioned, there is lots and lots of family support apps and programs to use that W10M will never get.

I'm sure there is plenty of us in the same situation as you. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to help!
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-19-2017 06:32 AM
    I'm fortunate in that regard as my Dad still rocks a flip phone. That said..... I just upgraded to last years new model, the 650. I've got my 640 as a designated streaming device, and should be getting another to keep on a drawer, just in case, to hold me out for the long summer, er winter.. I don't know. But I'm staying around until the janitor starts to sweep up.
    04-19-2017 06:44 AM
    Well, on WP7 days, while I still had my LG E900, I bought a Lumia 800 for my sister, a year or two later, I bought a pair of Lumia 520 for both my sister and my mom, and when I replaced my L920 with a L930, I gave the 920 to my sister, which in turn gave her L520 to her husband.

The situation now is: My sister dumped her L920 for a 4th-gen Moto G, my mom got an Asus Zenfone 2 after her L520 broke and my in-law is about to buy any cheap Android phone he could find to replace the L520 due the lack of apps.

I'm still using my L930 simply because I really like that camera.
    04-20-2017 11:06 PM
    I have my girlfriend, uncle, brother and mom on Windows Phones.

Common complaint I hear from them how FACEBOOK and Messenger stability sucks. I've heard my girlfriend and uncle already saying they plan to get another phone.

Good thing there's Slim Social but it's still different compared to using the real Facebook.
    04-21-2017 05:13 AM
    N1cks, would say you are looking at the same situation as a lot of W10M users are now, and a lot of us that came over from being Blackberry fans and families. With the next few months holding possible turn around for W10 on Arm, would recommend hanging tough for a few more weeks. Buyer's remorse sitting on $600-$700 iPhone devices all around if Microsoft finally sticks the landing with this ARM talk would be bad. I am holding out for just that, if I am not happy with what is introduced and possible... Blackberry backed Androids are coming for all in this family.
    04-21-2017 05:41 AM