SWITCH to windows phone, or shouldn't I?

BOSDown

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello guys!!

I have been using android for many years and lately i have noticed a severe dicline in quality and usability. I have been wanting to switch several times bow and since i just crushed the screen on my note 5, i am seriously thinking into investing in a WP10. I have been reading up a lot and cant seem to be able to filter the crap from the truth about the future of WP. I want to jump to the platfprm now via a used lumia or something else, so when surface phone comes out i will be fully enveloped inot the ecosystem. However is there a future windows phone? Should i switch or stay android?

Please advise, what is yiur perception of whats going on.

P.s app gap is NO issue for me, after so many years of android and its amazing app market i have realized, everyone (be honest with yourself) uses very few apps, and for the rest we go online any way! Not to mention that 99.9% of all apps are just portals! Furthermore I am IT pro and use MS everytging but phone.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Come on in the waters fine :)

Welcome to Windows Central by the way.
We'd like to see you join up here as a member no matter what you decide.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In your case, I would suggest trying it out. I don't think you have anything to lose at this point. Just make sure to check that the few apps you do use are available in the store before doing so.

The Surface phone is probably not going to "surface" until next year at the earliest. We don't know the future of this platform but from what I understand, Microsoft isn't planning to shut it down.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! It sounds like you will fit in just fine. I came here from Android also and am not looking back. Love the OS and look forward to the future.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would only advise that you stay away from budget models if you want to get a true sense of the OS. Ignore the noise from the haters. Most of them are angry because they bought cheap phones and expect flagship performance. Also, it is highly recommended to buy a phone that came with Windows 10 from factory. They are the only ones getting official updates from here on out.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This is a really tough question. I was actually going to say the opposite of @fatclue_98 and tell you that you could give it a try at at a very low entry cost with a phone like a 840, 640XL, or something along those lines. Get in cheap, give it a try and then what is going to happen and if you want to stay. Then I ealized that if you jump in cheap like that and decide you are going to stay, by then you probably won't have any higher end phones to choose from unless you go used.

So, you can get a 950 for 300 bucks and a 950XL for 500, both from the MS store. You can buy a Alcatel 4S for less than 300 I believe if you are on T-Mobile. You can also still get a Lumia 1520 for arond 200 on Ebay and throw Windows 10 mobile on it and even get the creators update through the insider program. Or you could go way cheap with a 640 or 640XL and use that for the next 6-12 months until we have a better idea of what MS is doing. At least you do have some different options available to you if you want to give it a shot.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is a really tough question. I was actually going to say the opposite of @fatclue_98 and tell you that you could give it a try at at a very low entry cost with a phone like a 840, 640XL, or something along those lines. Get in cheap, give it a try and then what is going to happen and if you want to stay. Then I ealized that if you jump in cheap like that and decide you are going to stay, by then you probably won't have any higher end phones to choose from unless you go used.

So, you can get a 950 for 300 bucks and a 950XL for 500, both from the MS store. You can buy a Alcatel 4S for less than 300 I believe if you are on T-Mobile. You can also still get a Lumia 1520 for arond 200 on Ebay and throw Windows 10 mobile on it and even get the creators update through the insider program. Or you could go way cheap with a 640 or 640XL and use that for the next 6-12 months until we have a better idea of what MS is doing. At least you do have some different options available to you if you want to give it a shot.

Remember that some apps like Facebook don't run on devices with less than 2GB of RAM. There are 950s available on Swappa and eBay for around $200 and the Idol 4S is brand new for under $300. Unless you're thoroughly familiar with W10M I wouldn't recommend going the cheap route.

BOSDown

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello Guys! (Again :)

I am the original poster,

Thank you all for the swift responses. I never imagined going bottom end device, as you quite adequately put it, it wont be a true representation of the platform plus i need productivity. I have decided that I will for sure purchase a WP by this weekend and now I just need to choose between Lumia 950, 950XL or Hp X3.

A couple of comments to your replies. First off for the guy suggesting iPhone, ARE YOU SERIOUS? I had an iPhone wayyyyy back when 3GS was a thing, hated it, my girlfriend just moved from iPhone 7 to Pixel cant be happier, and I transformed her iMac into a MacWindows and she loves it! she is die-hard windows fan now, constantly saying how much she has been missing out on over the years(while being scammed thousands of $$ by Apple)! Plus i need a tool not a toy! So yeah.. HELL no to iPhone:devil:! Also the "app gap" its not a thing for me, and risking to repeat myself yet again, I dont think its so for most people, no one admits it though. Also take a look at the Android app market, MILLIONS of apps but truly and i mean TRULY how many are actually serious stuff?!? 25% maybe? mostly cheap knock off games and useless apps created with only one purpose, to generate advertisement revenue(exactly same goes for iPhone market too). Even Samsung is branching off with the "Galaxy Apps"

The Facebook comment! Holy molly! I cant even begin to explain how much i dont care about FB! Dont use it, haven't for years and never will. FB is disease that needs to be cured! but that is a personal opinion.

Any way, Thank you for the opinions guys! I am ready to jump in, I heard the water is just fine ;)

Regards

B.O.S

P.S Xamarin any one?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the ship that doesn't exactly know where it's headed but is still sailing!

I am sure you did some research on the 950, 950 XL and the Elite x3, but still - deciding between the 950 and the 950 XL is basically just deciding between two sizes of the same phone, while the Elite x3 is more powerful device but sure is a lot more expensive.

DylanGreen

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I LOVE Windows Mobile, but I wouldn't buy one now unless it's one that will be supported for a long time, like the Lumia 950 or the HP Elite x3. They are both a bit pricey, but they work well and have support for newer updates. However, if you want a consumer-grade phone, it's a waste of time., because MS is killing the lower models. I myself have an older model (the Lumia 640) which will lose support this fall, but not long before the legendary "Surface Phone" arrives. So to answer your question: Probably not now. If you need a phone right now for a low price, get an Android and install Microsoft apps like Cortana and Bing. If not, come on in! I'm sure you'll love Windows Mobile too :p

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Remember that some apps like Facebook don't run on devices with less than 2GB of RAM.
That's incorrect, at least as far as FB is concerned. I run both FB and FB Beta on my 640 with 1 GB RAM. It's buggy as hell, but I don't know that my experience is any different from anyone else's. I think it generally sucks no matter how much RAM you have.

The only limitation I've found is that the store won't allow me to post a review of the regular version because it says it's not supported on my device. But curiously, I can review the Beta version. And that's the one that I'm using regularly.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's incorrect, at least as far as FB is concerned. I run both FB and FB Beta on my 640 with 1 GB RAM. It's buggy as hell, but I don't know that my experience is any different from anyone else's. I think it generally sucks no matter how much RAM you have.

The only limitation I've found is that the store won't allow me to post a review of the regular version because it says it's not supported on my device. But curiously, I can review the Beta version. And that's the one that I'm using regularly.
You probably had the app before the changes were implemented. If something happened that you had to do a hard reset, you probably won't be able to download it again.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FB is disease that needs to be cured!

Unfortunately it has proven resistant to even the strongest antibiotics. Symptoms include, but are not limited to: loss of time, invideous Social Engineering, fruitless comparison with others, Corporate "Friendships" (no, Monsanto is not really your friend - you are simply an advertising conduit and revenue stream for them {and who in the name of sanity needs to follow their local weathercaster???}), curated "News" designed more to placate than to inform, constant drain on your attention, obsessive compulsive behavior, loss of productivity, decreased physical and mental well being (look it up, many studies are available stretching back for years), an information overlord determining what is appropriate for you to see along with many other ailments...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I recently uninstalled Twitter from my Idol4s. Never had Facebook. Took a bit to get used to but loving it now and will never have those on my mobile devices again.
I'm free!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I always had hope for the platform but at this point in time I would say no. I think that the platform will live on as actual windows 10 with the adaptive shell but the hardware requiring this new windows will be different. So you will likely just have minimal support on your phone.

If you want a cheap phone to play around with and get used to the interface etc... go for it. Just don't put money into a flagship. I don't think it's worth it at this point.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You probably had the app before the changes were implemented. If something happened that you had to do a hard reset, you probably won't be able to download it again.

I hard reset last weekend and updated to 15206. I didn't install the regular FB this time. This is from the Store literally 3 minutes ago.

temporary_zpsrhebgtwt.png

temporary_zpswgmpnzi8.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3