will i lose anything by changing the sim?

TurboTony

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 that was on contract, I have very recently changed it to pay as you go. In order for that to happen they supply you with a new sim. I still have the same number.
I'm sure I read some time ago that changing the sim would somehow mess with what's installed, possibly a wipe or something for security reasons.... am I dreaming?
Has someone on here done the same and can maybe shed some light on what happens?
I've tried the usual internet search, but nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Your SIM only provides a connection to the mobile/cell network, so it shouldn't have any effect on you phone or MS account. You should be able to swap-out SIMs without any issues, as a lot of folk need to do this when travelling.

You may have to fiddle with the data connection settings to make sure they connect to the network protocols ok - this may depend if you are using WM8.1 or 10, but a quick search or a call to your provider get that sorted out.

You might also have a delay connecting with the new SIM until its activated, I suppose.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only thing you could possibly lose would be any contacts that are only backed up on the old SIM.

The SIM swap won't reset your phone.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@TurboTony, go to the Microsoft Store and install the 'contacts+messages backup' app (or similar), and back up your contacts, mms, and sms to a SD, or a file on your phone - you will find the installed app under: Settings > Extras > contacts+messages backup.

After changing the sim, go back to the 'contacts+messages backup' app and do a restore.

Good to have a backup regardless:wink:

TurboTony

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
@mtf1380

Thanks for the info but my contacts are all OK as they're in the cloud and also backed up in a csv file on my PC.

@northernpipeman @RumoredNow

In regards to my original question, I did some further research and came to the conclusion that I had confused the changing of the main Microsoft account and the swapping of the sim. It is the former that causes the phone to be reset and put back to factory defaults.

I put the above down to a brief "senior moment", lol. Oh the joys of getting older.

Thank you all for your prompt suggestions and guidance.

Regards

Tony

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss