Windows on Android phones

cstephen

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible, with Microsoft about to release Windows on Arm that they could have worked out a way to install Windows on any Android phone? Using the hardware abstraction layer that's built into Windows, is there a possibility that we could buy (get free...) a copy of Windows on Arm and install it onto a phone that we already own? Just think of the coup that would create in the industry.. Every android phone manufacturer could then be a possible Windows Phone manufacturer. Just a thought? Is it technically possible?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would be very intrigued but unfortunately that won't fly.

1. There still needs to be drivers for Windows to have in order to interface with phone hardware and it's a wild-west out there.

2. Locked bootloaders are becoming more common and are a serious roadblock. Although they can be unlocked depending on the phone. BlackBerry? Nope. Nexus? Yep, for example.

3. It'll be cool and I'm sure there'll be enthusiasts who try it, but it won't be any sort of coup since it'll still be a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. (e.g. see the usage numbers for custom Android ROMs like Lineage/CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android)

4. You'll still need manufacturer cooperation to get the whole thing working well and considering many don't even push regular security and OS updates at a fast pace, I can't see it happening. Especially since current incentive structures promote abandoning already-sold hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb