Will people say "LOL" at the iPhone 5 and "WHOA" at the Lumia920?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Now that the dust is settling, there are some interesting points coming out - an interview with the apple marketing head made a couple

Apple?s marketing chief Phil Schiller explained by simply saying that it?s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem.
The Passbook app in iOS 6 was seen as a perfect fit for NFC, but Schiller noted it works great without the chip. ?Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today,? Schiller explained.

I don't agree with this, I think it was a dig at google as they are scaling down google wallet and Im guessing that by not including it on the iphone 5 Apple are actually trying to kill NFC payments off, so it will be a useless feature that no-one needs?
If MS can make NFC payments attractive to carriers, then we could have a real unique selling point that apple will have to address in the iphone 5s????

Wireless charging might sound cool at first, but you still need to plug in the surface where you?d be wirelessly charging, so Apple?s mareting head explained that the benefits of that are also not very clear after all. USB on the other hand is much more versatile and ubiquitous - it?s everywhere from planes to wall chargers.

?Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,? Schiller said.

Agree with this, as with the zillions of cables I have, the only way wireless charging will be useful or needed will be if they include it in the box or as a deal at purchase time?
I cant see me buying one otherwise for home, though I might get one for work as we have an office full of geeks and it would be cool to show off a bit if they are cheap enough, otherwise I will give them a miss.

Overall, it was a solid update from Apple which in itself is a failure as usually there is always something 'wow' when apple do something like this, so I think we might see a few more people heading over to WP8 as a result... :p

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I just went over to the forum on the Apple sister site to see what they were saying and in less than a minute I came across Apple fans knocking Nokia, WP, Android etc.

I hope our friend goes over there and tells them to have good internet manners and to be nice to us WP folk.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Guess I wasn't clear enough last time. Settle down with the antagonizing posts or the thread will be closed. I really don't want to close this thread either because it's a good topic.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was honestly holding off being super excited for the lumia 920 because the iphone5 was getting ready to be announced. announced and boom the LOL's came.

NOKIA needs to do 3 things IMO

1-Get the device OUT ASAP
2-DONT RESTRICT DEVICES TO EXCLUSIVE PROVIDERS! you should want to be able to put the lumia 920 in as many hands as possible.
3-HUGE marketing push.... plaster that baby everywhere.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I was honestly holding off being super excited for the lumia 920 because the iphone5 was getting ready to be announced. announced and boom the LOL's came.

NOKIA needs to do 3 things IMO

1-Get the device OUT ASAP
2-DONT RESTRICT DEVICES TO EXCLUSIVE PROVIDERS! you should want to be able to put the lumia 920 in as many hands as possible.
3-HUGE marketing push.... plaster that baby everywhere.

Dude...u shud change ur name to HERO...I second that totally!!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Guess I wasn't clear enough last time. Settle down with the antagonizing posts or the thread will be closed. I really don't want to close this thread either because it's a good topic.

What is it with all the moderators wanting to close the threads?

Its like police wanting to shut down the whole block because one or two serial killers have knives in their hands. How about just getting rid of those serial killers? Either put them beind the bars or shoot them. We love this neighbourhood and I will miss that foxy lady I see walking across the street every now and then if you shut down this whole block! ;)

BTW, I woke up LOLing at Apple ;)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I woke up LOLn at the kid who lives with his mom saying he has a problem. Funny.

NFC could be good for things other than wireless payments. Phil was right about the mobile payments platform not being steady. So why make the phone more expensive if there is no need. I also think it was a dig a google.

Wireless charging is like a front facing camera for video chat. Its a novelty that people get excited for until they actually use it. I had a Palm Pre with a touchstone and after about two days, it was in the closet.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The excitement over WP8 success or lack of, is strange. If you like the OS then by a phone. If not, choose something else. I don't see how SOMEOME ELSE using a different phone maddens you or excites you in any way.

I agree with this. Personally I think we look really desperate for approval by raving up the "downfall" of the new iPhone because it had a meh resounding response. I knew it wouldn't be exciting but then I don't care. I think boasting about a victory is doing more harm than good. By all means you can be happy but the lot of you look like you were waiting for this to happen.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Now that the dust is settling, there are some interesting points coming out - an interview with the apple marketing head made a couple

Apple?s marketing chief Phil Schiller explained by simply saying that it?s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem.
The Passbook app in iOS 6 was seen as a perfect fit for NFC, but Schiller noted it works great without the chip. ?Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today,? Schiller explained.

I don't agree with this, I think it was a dig at google as they are scaling down google wallet and Im guessing that by not including it on the iphone 5 Apple are actually trying to kill NFC payments off, so it will be a useless feature that no-one needs?
If MS can make NFC payments attractive to carriers, then we could have a real unique selling point that apple will have to address in the iphone 5s????

Wireless charging might sound cool at first, but you still need to plug in the surface where you?d be wirelessly charging, so Apple?s mareting head explained that the benefits of that are also not very clear after all. USB on the other hand is much more versatile and ubiquitous - it?s everywhere from planes to wall chargers.

?Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,? Schiller said.

Agree with this, as with the zillions of cables I have, the only way wireless charging will be useful or needed will be if they include it in the box or as a deal at purchase time?
I cant see me buying one otherwise for home, though I might get one for work as we have an office full of geeks and it would be cool to show off a bit if they are cheap enough, otherwise I will give them a miss.

Overall, it was a solid update from Apple which in itself is a failure as usually there is always something 'wow' when apple do something like this, so I think we might see a few more people heading over to WP8 as a result... :p
It's called backpeddling. When a marketing guy defers to others' features as unimportant, you know you're doing something right. His shot at wireless charging was funny because as far as I know, that is just an optional method - you still can charge the 920 with a micro usb.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Really generalising here guys, so don't shoot me down, but... it seems the tech community are the new iPhone5 apologists. Outside of the forums, this phone is getting KILLED on Twitter/Facebook/News reports/blogs.

I expected Apple to under-deliver, but being honest, I didn't think it would tank this badly.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I disagree with Schiller on both points.

Apple is the so-called mother of "creating need" where no demand exists. Look at the iPad. Nobody was clamoring for tablets until Apple told us how magical and revolutionary they are. Microsoft had tablets on the market for years and OEMs ignored them because consumers ignored them. So for Apple to now say that NFC isn't a real-world need, that's just Apple missing the boat. Besides, it's more than just payments, it's simplifying the whole Bluetooth pairing/sharing experience. And the fact it's "tap and go" should be simplicity right up their alley. "It's revolutionary! You just tap and magically it works!" But I think that's the problem. They can't get away with "inventing" it, so suddenly it's a bad idea. I know people like that at work, and everybody hates them, lol.

Wireless charging. The guy made the same argument as a guy in a forum thread here. OMG! It takes an extra power outlet. Well, yeah, duh, but not ANOTHER one... it replaces the one you already use. And you get the ability to EITHER plug direct to phone OR just set it down on a pad for quick get-up-and-go. Being able to maintain a full charge at work while ALWAYS being able to grab-and-go is a nice perk for me. I think people are missing the point that this isn't some either-or option. It's an either-or-both option.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this. Personally I think we look really desperate for approval by raving up the "downfall" of the new iPhone because it had a meh resounding response. I knew it wouldn't be exciting but then I don't care. I think boasting about a victory is doing more harm than good. By all means you can be happy but the lot of you look like you were waiting for this to happen.

Human nature. When something is seen as too great to fail, and it stumbles there is a certain schadenfreude that we feel. The amount of positive press Apple has received in the press in the past has been pretty head scratching at times - they could paint their employee washrooms a different colour and people would scream "innovation!" at the news.

Put it this way: take the iPhone 5 changes and put them with, say BlackBerry and the world would laugh at their press conference.

What do you think everyone would say if Windows Phone 8 released an 5-like device as their flagship smartphone?

Yeah, I'm not saddened by the ridicule they're receiving. That company has been resting on its laurels far too long - and gets away with crap like trivial lawsuits and inane patents. Heck, somebody there just has to say there will be a press conference coming and their stock jumps twenty points. That's ridiculous.

They are not heading for a downfall - you're not going to open a newspaper tomorrow and read that they're going to close their doors. People will still go in droves to buy their products because they are excellent products. But the public is starting to see an air of reality about them - and it's about time.

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saddened either. Personally I feel a little happy to see something hopeful for Microsoft. Just think it's tacky to boast, even back when apple was doing it

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Because of the presser, some are starting to talk about migrating to WP8, whereas a month ago you'd be hard pressed to find someone that knew Windows Phone even existed. To be mentioned in the same breath as an S3 is impressive.

And I'll take that chatter all day.

MSFT is in the driver seat - they better deliver.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with both crystal_planet and cckgz4 in that Apple is due this harsh reality, but it's also not cool to sit and gloat at their failures. You would expect that from Apple and their fanboys.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
the thing that got me a little more excited about wireless charging was the potential OUTSIDE my home, away from a pad on my nightstand.

Going to lunch and a spot being identified on the table as 'Qi Charger' (seriously Qdoba needs to get on that...match made in heaven).

Or, car manufacturers putting it into the console of their car, now I don't have to worry about finding an adequate cigarette lighter charger, or worry that my phone is upside down in the cup holder because its the only way to charge (one of the reasons I don't like the charger at the bottom of the phone....)

Going to the airport and not have to fight with the 3 or 4 outlets that the airline 'graces' us with to charge our phones.

There are countless areas where wireless charging could come in handy. That seemed like a perfect opportunity for Apple to taut a 'magical' feature of their phone that would end up benefiting ALL PHONES with wireless charging.

So folks, when they go on trips - hop to the hotel - and realize that they forgot that one daggum stinking cable, look to their room and see 'wireless charger' embedded into the table and say, "Holy crap, that's awesome!"

It seems like a feature Apple would pounce on! Which they probably will... next year after other companies have done the heavy lifting in getting wireless charging more out into the open public spaces.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra