Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, i've been texting using whatsapp for about 10-15 minutes just now, probably about 20 texts and my battery drained 10%. before that i dindt have much drain surfing and using apps.

On standby its fine, when you actually start texting in bunches in a few minutes, killer battery hog

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb here and state the only people having an actual battery drain issue should know since from all that I've seen the only consistent symptom is the back heating up a lot. At first I figured most people were just doing too many background things, being unreasonable on battery life, or they hadn't settled into a pattern yet and hadn't had the device long enough to properly gauge it. Then it hit me, the back went really warm and my battery started dropping fast. That was yesterday, today is fine so far. Start paying attention to the back top section of the phone when deducing whether or not your battery is dropping fast. It seems to be the only consistent thing.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow so after the 10% drain on battery after using whatsapp for 10-15 minutes with 20 or so texts, the battery continues to drain after not even using it anymore, it drained 4 more % as my phone was on standby. WTF whatsapp.

So in a matter of about 30 minutes, my battery drained 14% when it was stil 100% for two hours after unplugging the phone.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb here and state the only people having an actual battery drain issue should know since from all that I've seen the only consistent symptom is the back heating up a lot. At first I figured most people were just doing too many background things, being unreasonable on battery life, or they hadn't settled into a pattern yet and hadn't had the device long enough to properly gauge it. Then it hit me, the back went really warm and my battery started dropping fast. That was yesterday, today is fine so far. Start paying attention to the back top section of the phone when deducing whether or not your battery is dropping fast. It seems to be the only consistent thing.

I have noticed this too. Even when I am just browsing it heats up fast and the battery drain increases quickly.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow so after the 10% drain on battery after using whatsapp for 10-15 minutes with 20 or so texts, the battery continues to drain after not even using it anymore, it drained 4 more % as my phone was on standby. WTF whatsapp.

So in a matter of about 30 minutes, my battery drained 14% when it was stil 100% for two hours after unplugging the phone.

I knew something was up with that app man. Because all my messages never actually get sent, until some minutes after I quit the app. Shoddy servers and it keeps retrying to send long after you back out of the app.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I knew something was up with that app man. Because all my messages never actually get sent, until some minutes after I quit the app. Shoddy servers and it keeps retrying to send long after you back out of the app.

Probably, i know that the messages that you send and you receive delay if you use wifi, if turn wifi off, it recognizes right away.

On wifi, you get the toast notification, you go to the app, you dont see it until after closing it out and gonig back in a few times. On data, it works fine.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Probably, i know that the messages that you send and you receive delay if you use wifi, if turn wifi off, it recognizes right away.

On wifi, you get the toast notification, you go to the app, you dont see it until after closing it out and gonig back in a few times. On data, it works fine.

Sort of, for me the behavior varies wether on wifi or full signal LTE. The main pet peeve is that when sending messages on any connection it won't successfully send until some time later.

viedit

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought on Sunday and have been though 4 discharge cycles taking it down to less than 20% life. Some as low as 5%.

This morning I took it off the charger at 7:30AM. I have bluetooth off. Cellular data off. NFC off. Drive is blocked and not running in the task manager. Today I have not made single phone call, a single text, played any music, or downloaded anything. I've had the screen on for about 5 minutes for some basic forum web browsing.

At 12:00PM I was at 58% left. I do notice that the top left corner is a slight bit warmer even in standby. It's not the burning hot that it can get under heavy use, but it's definitely warmer than the rest of the phone.

I just checked again between 12:00 and 12:30 and it's down to 53%. It's pretty consistently losing 10% per hour at idle.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
time since last charge 1 hour
battery remaining 59%
time remaining 1 hour

no good.

I spent that hour playing Sudoku fwiw. that seems like a relatively low stress application... to say it would only last for 2 hours from a full charge.

I killed the battery to 0 earlier today, recharged to 100, and this was off that charge. Ill kill it again before I go to bed tonight and see what happens in the morning. If Im at 50% by noon, Ill give it a hard reset. Pending the results of that over the weekend, itll be returned to att next week.

My iphone 4 had atleast 5x the battery life, if this is "normal" than I guess WP isn't for me. But I don't think it is normal.

cbrunn2

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So my phone Froze up for about 15-20 minutes .... luckily enough time to get to ATT and show the ppl and got an exchange phone ...

So far today Battery Life has been a complete 180 ... really impressed today

Have Browsed facebook and Web .. and used text and whatsapp ... I would still say light usage though but normal day usage for me ... Old phone would of been at 60-50% leftt ... today at 85% still ...

I have 2 Email pulling I think at 1 hour ... Microsoft weather App ... NFC and BLUETOOTH OFF and I haven't even installed Drive yet ... and I won't install the battery lvl app because I think that definitely is bad

I'm going to start turn NFC on and see how it does ... then Bluetooth ... Etc ... to see if it's any or a combination of these things or If I just had a bad battery ...last thing I will do is do the Nokia Drive cause not like I need it to get around my city only for like vacations and things

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I posted this earlier but I want to focus on if anyone knows what the 'Polling Frequency' is under the field test (the ##3282# test)? I assume it is how long the phone waits before it looks for a cellular connection if it doesn't have one, but I can't find exact info on it. My battery life is much better today after making a few of the common changes listed here and switch my polling from 3 to 5 seconds. Anyone know exactly what that setting means?

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I actually think the battery meters are really badly calibrated from factory on these. If you use your phone until it dies (and afterwards makes sure it is actually dead by trying to turn it on again) and after that charges it for 6-8 hours I bet you will get way better battery life. There were some guy in here who said his phone still had power in it after it shut itself down due to lack of power, so I really think there is a calibration problem.

dadueler

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I read through about half of this thread yesterday as I was only getting about 8hrs of battery life. Here's what I did last night, not promising it will work for you, but it's worth a try:

Drained my battery to 0%. Ironically, had to run Netflix for 2 hrs to lose 30%.
Let the phone shut off by itself. Turn it back on, it shows a battery symbol, then turns off again. Battery totally drained, right? Wrong. Don't charge it yet.

An hour later, turn it on again, mine booted up, showed 0% battery, then stayed alive for another 90 minutes! Had to run Netflix to get it to die.
This time, turn it on again, it'll vibrate but not turn on.

Wait another hour (no rationale, this is just what I did)
Plug it in overnight and let it charge. This time I also used the official Nokia charger which is 1.3A, before that I'd been using a 1A Palm charger. I noticed that it got to about full charge in just 3hrs! I also disabled NDrive and Weather Channel background tasks. NFC always off, Bluetooth always on.

So far I've gotten through 4 hrs of medium-high usage (4 push email accounts, auto brightness, listening to podcasts via bluetooth, WiFi always on) and am at 87%. I'll update you guys on how long I can go throughout the whole day, but this is definitely better than yesterday, and I think my battery issues are over. Estimated time left: 3 days 10hrs, lol.

It's weird that my phone turned on after being dead and stayed on for almost 2 hrs!
I think there's certainly a calibration issue here...

PS. I also want to try a hard reset, but haven't figured out how to backup my start screen layout... tell me if you know!

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I read through about half of this thread yesterday as I was only getting about 8hrs of battery life. Here's what I did last night, not promising it will work for you, but it's worth a try:

Drained my battery to 0%. Ironically, had to run Netflix for 2 hrs to lose 30%.
Let the phone shut off by itself. Turn it back on, it shows a battery symbol, then turns off again. Battery totally drained, right? Wrong. Don't charge it yet.

An hour later, turn it on again, mine booted up, showed 0% battery, then stayed alive for another 90 minutes! Had to run Netflix to get it to die.
This time, turn it on again, it'll vibrate but not turn on.

Wait another hour (no rationale, this is just what I did)
Plug it in overnight and let it charge. This time I also used the official Nokia charger which is 1.3A, before that I'd been using a 1A Palm charger. I noticed that it got to about full charge in just 3hrs! I also disabled NDrive and Weather Channel background tasks. NFC always off, Bluetooth always on.

So far I've gotten through 4 hrs of medium-high usage (4 push email accounts, auto brightness, listening to podcasts via bluetooth, WiFi always on) and am at 87%. I'll update you guys on how long I can go throughout the whole day, but this is definitely better than yesterday, and I think my battery issues are over. Estimated time left: 3 days 10hrs, lol.

It's weird that my phone turned on after being dead and stayed on for almost 2 hrs!
I think there's certainly a calibration issue here...

PS. I also want to try a hard reset, but haven't figured out how to backup my start screen layout... tell me if you know!

I'm noticing something similar. I ran my phone down until the battery died and the phone shut down (this was only after a bout 4 hours of light/medium use). I did not plug it in, but rather, just turned it back on and it's running now. The battery meter still shows 0 and when I look it up in the battery saver under settings it shows 0, but I have mine running Youtube to try to kill it and it's still going.

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did the following, and after 6 hours of use, I'm still at 72%.

- blocked Nokia Drive+ Beta from running in the background
- turned off NFC
- Forced 2G (our building has no service. this drained my iphone as well)
- took a deep breath and relaxed (they are still returnable)

This is acceptable to me. This weekend I will test no wi-fi and using 4G only. FYI, I have 4 ActiveSync e-mail addresses getting 4-5 e-mails an hour.

how do you force 2G? i have the L920 on AT&T and there is no option to disable 4G or LTE or 3G.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am losing just over 10% give or take an hour with light use, cellular data off and all the recommended "fixes"

Phone is getting warmer than normal just for a phone call

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought draining them too far was bad for the battery, that sounds dangerous if you don't luck out and your battery is actually at 0.

After having the bad drain yesterday it's been great today and I've had WiFi and BT on all day as well, though the WiFi has been connected to the same router all day so I haven't been signal searching. So far today it's been great, it's 2:30PM and I'm only down to 48% and have been off the charger since 6:30AM. That's about right for the usage I've done today.

I uninstalled that battery tile app everyone was using, NFC has been off, most background tasks disabled for apps I don't care about. A few I left running.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My phone is draining badly and I'm not doing anything on it :(

A phone call that was a couple min long just caused the phone to heat up more than it should

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Im at 30%, since noon... not even 5 hours.

It did occur to me that I spend time in a building completely devoid of all cell service. total black hole. Perhaps the phone is going nuts trying to get reception? Ill be in service areas over the weekend, so I guess that will tell me more then.

My iphone 4 also got no service though, and never seemed to suffer for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul89895