Xbox Music Explained.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't even figure out how to get my cloud music onto my phone. I have a radio signal next to them on my win8 pc, but there's nothing showing up on my phone. both are on the same LIVE account and both have the cloud feature enabled

Plug your phone into your PC. Allow the PC time to do its thing. Open your music file on the PC. In a seperate window, open the phone through the PC and navigate to the music folder. Simply copy over the music folders from the PC to the music folder on your phone. Unplug your phone from the PC.

On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > music+videos > turn off Xbox Music cloud collection Now all your music is stored locally on the phone, and won't stream.

Hope this helps.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Restricted to devices that support the new DRM, which is based on the old Zune drm which was based on PlaysForSure but not cross compatible.

For now only works with Windows Phone 8 devices, Windows 8/RT devices, and Xbox. Android and iOS clients announced so it should work on those devices in those apps once they are announced

So I'd need an XBox Music app on iOS to play this particular album? No option to get it into a common format(MP3, AAC)?

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You can purchase it a la carte through Xbox music just like you would using iTunes or Amazon MP3, then you can play it on any device no problem (I believe they are mp3s), no DRM.

but for music you download as part of the subscription that you don't pay for separately, you can only play that on supported devices while your subscription is active, like Rhapsody or Spotify

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can purchase it a la carte through Xbox music just like you would using iTunes or Amazon MP3, then you can play it on any device no problem (I believe they are mp3s), no DRM.

but for music you download as part of the subscription that you don't pay for separately, you can only play that on supported devices while your subscription is active, like Rhapsody or Spotify

This was music I purchased a la carte today and its still downloaded as WMAs. I'm so angry.

the92playboy

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So I'd need an XBox Music app on iOS to play this particular album? No option to get it into a common format(MP3, AAC)?

You shouldn't have any issues with songs you purchase via Xbox Music (as opposed to downloading it via the Xbox music pass) or as some are referring to it as, "a la carte".

I just did a test. I purchased Ke$ha's single "Tik Tok" for 90 xbox points (approx. $1.40 CDN) and then transferred it to my kid's Sony Walkman using a simple drag and drop. I then tested playing the song, and looked to see if the song was a) in the right artist folder b) showed album name and c) if there was album art.

Everything worked 100%. I then repeated the process onto my other daughter's Sony Walkman and it worked perfectly too.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have any issues with songs you purchase via Xbox Music (as opposed to downloading it via the Xbox music pass) or as some are referring to it as, "a la carte".

I just did a test. I purchased Ke$ha's single "Tik Tok" for 90 xbox points (approx. $1.40 CDN) and then transferred it to my kid's Sony Walkman using a simple drag and drop. I then tested playing the song, and looked to see if the song was a) in the right artist folder b) showed album name and c) if there was album art.

Everything worked 100%. I then repeated the process onto my other daughter's Sony Walkman and it worked perfectly too.

Ok I finally figured out what I did wrong. I didn't click on the MP3 purchase link and get it through MS points. Now I'm finally getting it. Still it's stupid to have these points instead of just $.

respect306

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
This is how I did it:

11-25-2012, 09:45 AM #5 http://cdn-forums.wpcentral.com/images/buttons/report-40b.png
Big Update.

Was able to get my existing cloud collection deleted. This was creating a problem on my phone. I was lucky that I have a tablet without any music on it. I fired up Xbox Music and all of the garbage from the existing cloud collection showed up. I was able to delete these entries. Now the only music showing on my phone with the "Xbox Music cloud collection" turned on is the albums I have download to the device via PC Sync."​
http://cdn-forums.wpcentral.com/images/misc/progress.gif http://forums.windowscentral.com/clear.gif Edit Post http://forums.windowscentral.com/clear.gif Reply http://forums.windowscentral.com/clear.gif Reply With Quote http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/buttons/multiquote_40b.png Thanks

How were you able to delete the entries? The Music app doesn't give me that option. Did you do it through Windows Explorer?

UPDATE: I was able to delete the songs in song view, just not in artist or album view and everything is working now.

Last edited:

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've yet to jump into the Xbox Music world yet, mainly because I haven't found solid documentation about purchasing music. I don't want to subscribe and stream music or deal with DRM. I love Amazon MP3 because I can just purchase the music and download it to any device I own in MP3 format until I'm blue in the face. Is this the same case with Xbox Music and purchasing songs? Does it download as WMA (as i've heard) or do I get it in MP3 format? Quality?

If anyone can help,
Thanks!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've yet to jump into the Xbox Music world yet, mainly because I haven't found solid documentation about purchasing music. I don't want to subscribe and stream music or deal with DRM. I love Amazon MP3 because I can just purchase the music and download it to any device I own in MP3 format until I'm blue in the face. Is this the same case with Xbox Music and purchasing songs? Does it download as WMA (as i've heard) or do I get it in MP3 format? Quality?

If anyone can help,
Thanks!

Download and streaming is in .wma pro format at 192kbps but using the buy option gives out a 320kbps .mp3 file. With the .wma pro version you can listen to it offline as many times as you want and on up to 5 devices as long as you keep paying the subscription. This option is much cheaper and better than paying per song, especially if you listen to alot of music.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This is how I did it:

11-25-2012, 09:45 AM #5 http://cdn-forums.wpcentral.com/images/buttons/report-40b.png
Big Update.

Was able to get my existing cloud collection deleted. This was creating a problem on my phone. I was lucky that I have a tablet without any music on it. I fired up Xbox Music and all of the garbage from the existing cloud collection showed up. I was able to delete these entries. Now the only music showing on my phone with the "Xbox Music cloud collection" turned on is the albums I have download to the device via PC Sync."​

http://cdn-forums.wpcentral.com/images/misc/progress.gif http://forums.windowscentral.com/clear.gif Edit Post http://forums.windowscentral.com/clear.gif Reply http://forums.windowscentral.com/clear.gif Reply With Quote http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/buttons/multiquote_40b.png Thanks

Thank you very much for this. I was having a terrible time organizing my music library. I kept thinking what I need is a web page or something just for managing my music library, then I can decide which songs to download to my home server or my phone. It never dawned on me that my Surface could serve that purpose. It works great because I do not plan to download much music to my Surface due to the storage constraint.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Is anybody still interested to know how Xbox Music works, and doesn't work? Has everybody dropped it like a rock? Good, because this is going to be long winded and complicated and I've had just enough Crown to feel motivated. I recently got my Vaio with win8. Needed full win8 device as RT storage indexing has been a nightmare. I sat down with 920, Vaio and RT and tried to figure the ins and outs of XBOX Music. It is now a four letter word in my book. And if anything I post is not correct, I apologize. It was the best guess I could come up with.

First thing you have to do is have an MS/Xbox account attached to all your devices and a PAID subscription to Xbox Music. Without paid subscription, only local music works. Also need to check your xbox music account to see that all of your devices are listed. In any device, phone, tablet or laptop, you can go to settings and get your account sorted out. It may take 24hrs to update your devices if you add or remove. Also, side note, if you roll over from trial period to paid subscription, its probably a billing issue, but some people have had a lapse in services. Anywhere from a day to a week from what I have read. It may be sorted out at this point, but be aware if you have issues using services around the time your trial ends. I have not had any problems since. If your device isn't listed on your account, you will only have access to locally stored music. Another side note, if you setup your computer using a "local account" I'm not sure if Xbox music on win8 will work. I assume you can just sign in in the app but I set up computer under my MS account. If you can't get service on your laptop, may check into this. Now that account is set up, it gets complicated.

Next, we need to go over a couple of symbols. They are: no symbol, broadcasting antenna, like the one you see on your phone when internet sharing is turned on, and cloud symbol. They tell you the state of that particular song or album on that particular device. I may not be completely right my descriptions so chime in if you notice other peculiarities. You will see these symbols in different areas from phone to tablet/laptop config. Also, if you press and hold on touchscreen or hover with cursor, it gives a brief dialogue of what it means. Except no symbol.

NO SYMBOL: This is your locally stored music. You purchased and loaded on that device. I don't exactly know how this is different from cloud other than maybe it hasn't been uploaded to cloud storage or there are some licensing issues with certain artists. It may be like initial loading of Skydrive, it only loads so much during any session. I have no idea. SIDE NOTE: But for my situation, that isn't entirely correct. I had reset my RT last week. My cloud storage came back but I didn't have all my music loaded on RT. I got Vaio last night and loaded all my music. I then had both RT and Vaio up and running Xbox music. It downloaded and uploaded all of my music between devices and I saw both devices stabilize at same number of albums, artists and songs, give or take a couple. What's strange is some of my music was downloaded to RT with no symbol and some got the cloud symbol, which I will explain next. No symbol kind of has me stumped. Another hypothesis which I didn't test is if you load and artist on all of your devices, it doesn't need to store in cloud because it is present on all devices. I will have to try this with some new purchased music.

CLOUD: If you touch and hold or hover over this icon it will bring up a dialog with description except on phone. (Matched: available here and in the Xbox music cloud for streaming to other devices) Pretty straight forward. This music is on cloud and locally stored on device for offline listening. Which means you should NOT get error code when offline. I don't anyway. Now here is where it gets complicated, at least for my OCD. Example: If I download music from Xbox music to my RT, it will show up on my phone with the antenna symbol which is streaming only. Basically, my entire library IS available on all devices, but you have to manually download to all three devices to have offline availability on that device. Is it looking like a pain to keep up with now or what? Suggestion: If you are going to get music from Xbox, search and download it to your phone and let your Wifi only devices stream music or download to all. Might save you some data when you have some playlists set up and can't remember every song you have on cloud.

BROADCASTING ANTENNA: You can touch and hold or hover with cursor for dialog. (Streaming only. download here for offline listening) Pretty straight forward. It will only play with internet access. You will get error code every time and it will not play. You have downloaded this song on one of your devices, but not this device. You can download it on a device and antenna symbol will turn into a cloud and you will have offline access, as long as the bill is paid.

So, think of the cloud as a hub and your devices do technically sync to it, but not entirely all the time exactly how you think they should. Also, I think this is why some people are complaining of 2,3,4 of the same albums/songs ending up on their devices. MS doesn't have the ability to play your music. When they sync to cloud for your other devices to use, they technically are finding your song or a version of your song to put in the cloud for the other devices. Remember, you have a license to play song, you don't own the song. I think if something is different in meta data or whatever causes the discrepancy, you end up with multiple of same. I saw a few instances on my stuff. May be something else to it. Not entirely sure.

This by no means is entirely correct and I still have questions on a few things myself. And feel free to add to it. I hope to find a few of my unanswered questions and I will post if I find anything else. And no, it won't be this long winded, I hope. Good luck.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
In Xbox Music on my W8 Pro sometimes albums get split up. For instance, an album I ONLY own locally (ripped from CD) and has all the proper tags, gets split up in two. One collection of random songs from that album is put in one album, and the other songs are put in an album with a different name, for instance - 2009 Remaster Edition, Edited Edition, Parental Advisory Edition.

Is there any way to stop this? It's terrible and messing with my music library.

Also, how to add album cover images? Some haven't transitioned to Xbox Music.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
In Xbox Music on my W8 Pro sometimes albums get split up. For instance, an album I ONLY own locally (ripped from CD) and has all the proper tags, gets split up in two. One collection of random songs from that album is put in one album, and the other songs are put in an album with a different name, for instance - 2009 Remaster Edition, Edited Edition, Parental Advisory Edition.

Is there any way to stop this? It's terrible and messing with my music library.

Also, how to add album cover images? Some haven't transitioned to Xbox Music.

Mine dies the same thing. I don't know the answer other than something in meta data is different with some songs on an album and Xbox music sees it as different album. I haven't found a solution. Still working on it.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here is what I have been working on this weekend. Deleting locally stored music off of phone to remove duplicate cloud/local songs. I think the only way to get this setup where it will halfa$$ work is to load your local music on laptop or RT only and pull it through to phone. Here is what I have seen so far:

After deleting local music off phone, it will pull thru my songs from cloud only. No duplicates, but of course it has the antenna symbol for streaming only on my phone And it did not pull thru my entire collection because not all of my music local to laptop is on the cloud and my RT will only see what is on the cloud as well. The songs that do not have the cloud symbol on laptop are not on my cloud. I don't know why other than Xbox could not match music because of meta data issues or MS does not have a license for that particular version. I can find the songs at store, it just will not pull them from laptop and put in my cloud. Also, I don't think songs found and downloaded from store to phone are pulled and synced to cloud, at least not all of it. I had some artists on my phone that are not showing up on my laptop and I tried a few trial runs with no sync success. During process they never updated from phone to cloud or laptop. So downloading songs to phone, with RT and laptop set up for auto download, will not get everything stored locally on all devices, at this time anyway. I may have missed something, but I couldn't get it to work. SIDENOTE: It could be more like Skydrive with initial setup and sync. It took me over a month to get 30gb uploaded to Skydrive. It did a little bit every time I logged on my computer and some files, like music, I had to manually upload. It could be that it only takes so much music and syncs to cloud each time. I have too much music to check each individually to confirm and I don't feel like waiting couple of months to see what happens. I still don't have all of the kinks worked out, but I think there is a way to get it better than it is. And if you are having as much trouble as I am and as OCD as I am, I think I have a few options to get it set up for now.

I don't know exactly what devices you have that are 8 and have Xbox music. But, from what I've seen, RT and Laptop have all the same functionality. Other than the file indexing issues with RT, it should work the same for local music storage. Just remember for this to work, you have to have RT or W8 laptop. Remember, Set up your RT or Laptop devices properly and then download music to phone.

1) Delete all music locally stored on phone. Make notes of what music you have downloaded from Xbox music so you can get them again. Remember they may not be on your cloud.
2) Load all of your music to RT or laptop and let Xbox do its thing with sync to cloud.
3) Which ever songs, albums, artists do not end up with cloud symbol are not synced to cloud. Why they won't, I have no idea. But if you make notes of these albums and remove them from My Music then download same album from Xbox Music, it will be cloud synced. I would put your copy of problem albums in a file that is not pulled into My Music so you can keep your copy.
4) There are also the split albums. I don't know what causes this either but it happens on music downloaded from Xbox music as well. The problem is on their end. I have no fix at this time.
5) Once all your music on RT or Laptop has the cloud symbol, all of your music should be synced to cloud and be available on your phone. It will all have antenna symbol for streaming only, but it will be available and there shouldn't be any duplicates. Cut up albums will persist though. Sorry. Also, from what I have seen, playlists with missing music shouldn't be a problem once all your music has a cloud next to it.
6) Now the really bad part. If you want the music locally on phone, with no duplicates, you have to download it. Sucks, I know. Couple of ways to do this. You could go through and download individual songs, use the select option, thanks XBWillem, and download songs for entire album. Or, easiest and least time consuming, create playlists and go to playlist and download each song individually. So you only get the music you really need and want. It will make a mess and you will never really keep up with what songs are downloaded without looking, but who really listens to all the filler anyway and with limited storage on some phones, the rest of the album is just taking up space. This should clear up all duplicates and missing playlist songs.
7) Now any special music which can't be found in store, local bands or other, you will just have to locally store to all devices. I still have a lot of questions regarding how the actual cloud sync works or doesn't work in most cases.

If you are OCD and have a lot, I mean a lot, of time on your hands this is the only way I have found to clean up the mess. If anybody has any shortcuts or an easier way, I'm all ears. I think the main thing is to get your main storage device, RT or laptop, setup and synced properly, and then worry about the phone. Which is bass ackwards from how most of us purchased devices. RT, 920 and then Vaio with Win8 for me. Good luck.

lindhmik

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with sync from phone to pc. If i download something from xbox music (or anywhere) to my pc it will be available my other devices as well, but when i download from xbox music to my phone its only available on my phone and i cant see it on my W8 music collection. Any idea what may have cause of this? Cloud collection, as well as every other settings is on, but no luck with this..

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen, phone will not sync to cloud. My plan was to have laptop and RT set to auto download new music and actually download to phone. Got about 10 albums in and realized not happening. RT and W8 laptop will stay in sync as long as cloud symbol is under album, but it appears phone can only be synced from cloud, not to it. I don't know if it is a setting I've missed, just how it is or something MS is working on.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music sucks...use a different service to buy your music. I say this as a long time Zune user as well. Hoping Amazon gets a mp3 / Cloud app soon for WP8, Win8, and Xbox...

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music sucks...use a different service to buy your music. I say this as a long time Zune user as well. Hoping Amazon gets a mp3 / Cloud app soon for WP8, Win8, and Xbox...

Xbox music doesn't suck if you know how it works. It takes a little time to get setup and if you bought phone first and then W8 laptop, which most of us did, it is a cluster. Also, coming from Zune IS even worse. But, if you load all of your music to W8 laptop or RT and get it all synced up properly, which does take some time, it works perfectly. Look for the cloud symbol on all your albums. Some albums you will have to manually sync and actually pick which song it matches on the cloud. Once all of your music is set properly, delete your locally stored music on phone and download from cloud as you see fit. Or create playlists and just download them. It takes some time depending on how much music you have and yes Zune to Xbox is a nightmare from what I've read. But once it is setup properly it works like a charm. If it was easy everybody would do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss