Xbox Music: SORRY, WE CAN'T PLAY THIS FILE ON YOUR PHONE

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Last night I decided to redo my music library on my L920 and well... now I get this error message with a few specific artists almost every album. The albums have played well previously, but now do not. The change had been from "attempting" to use the Windows 8 "metro" app to do the music transfer (which royally sucks) to using the desktop program to do the transfer (sucks less) I get the error message "sorry, we can't play this file on your phone" with the error code 80070002.

I have done a soft reset of the phone, no luck. I was hoping to figure out a fix before I head home for the evening and can hop right into fixing the issue.

Quin452

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I got this, once.

The song I was trying to play was on my Cloud (apparently), and I had turned it off.
However, the odd thing was I tried playing another song which was also on my cloud, and it played, just extremely quietly.

The long and short of it, Windows have released buggy software and don't know how to fix it (trust me, I've spent an entire day trying to find a solution).

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
What I have gathered so far, it may be related to the ID3 tags, I am going to have to go through the data with a fine tooth comb and see what may be wrong in there. It only seems to be happening with my Alice Cooper collection (tons of stuff in that one) And really nothing else. Of course the two songs I purchased through Xbox music are playing just fine, every thing coming from several other sources (cd rips, Itunes plus purchases etc.) does not play.

Quin452

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, that's something I thought of as well; what I usually do is go into Explorer and Remove the Properties of the tracks (so name, number, album, artists, etc.) then just use Zune to find the correct album info; I may have to do this again with my entire library since Xbox Music decided to screw things up :-(

Theo Morgan

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Had the exact same thing
Whenever i upload music it has one of 3 error codes
C00d36c4
Completely random which songs play and which songs windows doesn't like
Phoned windows up the second day i got the phone and they basically told me that their software don't support many files.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a 3rd party player which might work.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Are any of you paying for XBox music subscription or are you just transferring files to phone? The paid subscription is the only way to go. It also seems to be the only way to get things operating properly.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe I had a similar message appear for me after my Xbox Music trial expired, and I tried to play a song that I had downloaded through it.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I get similar music errors, but typically it will play the song if I click on it anyway. It tosses up error codes but continues to play the music.... Microsoft needs to fix their music player.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just some sort of bug as this happens from time to time with my locally-saved MP3s. Nine times out of ten I can still play the music without issue, but one time it presented an error on each song and I couldn't play them, but a reboot of the phone cleared it up.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that turning off WiFi and then playing the song seems to fix the problem. It doesn't even make sense to me because sometimes I wasn't even connected to WiFi to begin with. However, it seems to work. I'm also using my Zune pass DRM music on my 920.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I managed to get things sorted out. I figured it was due to using all three methods of transferring music to the phone. I also could not delete songs off my phone, there were 9 gigs of music that were not showing up in the file system, both the windows 8 app and the windows desktop program were showing them on there as well as the phone itself. So I did a refresh on the phone, and only added the songs via the desktop app as it is the most feature rich program compared to the metro app. Things are running smoothly now. I am continuing to manage my music in Itunes :( including playlists. and just sync them to my phone when I decide I want to change something.

Skeeder

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
What I have gathered so far, it may be related to the ID3 tags, I am going to have to go through the data with a fine tooth comb and see what may be wrong in there. It only seems to be happening with my Alice Cooper collection (tons of stuff in that one) And really nothing else. Of course the two songs I purchased through Xbox music are playing just fine, every thing coming from several other sources (cd rips, Itunes plus purchases etc.) does not play.

This is what I found with mine. The id tags were corrupted or something on my phone. I deleted the files and put them back on my phone and it has worked fine.

abhi 25

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I faced the problem of error code 80070003 on Lumia 720 today.
I cross checked the unplayable tracks on my playlist on zune software. Those specific tracks were not played by zune on my pc too. The error message shown was this - zune error.PNG

I re-added those tracks to zune playlist and they worked fine this time. After that you can sync through Windows Phone desktop app, which will be able to pick up zune playlists.

badger8080

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem but i can download the song from xbox music from my phone with the wifi on and when i shut it off it doesn't play but other songs play that i downloaded the same way so idk what the problem is the song works fine when the wifi is on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb