Xbox music updated!

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Just want to tell you, there's an update to Xbox Music and it much improves Cloud Sync. Now you can manage what's in the cloud and it's just great!!!!

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Does it already allow us to access our music collection in the cloud from our Windows Phone ? (musics are downloaded by myself from third party website not xbox music)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hint... hint... music update is out.

Downloaded this morning. Didn't have a chance to fully test it out. I did see it now has jump lists. Woohoo!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

not even close to being where it should be. With small updates like this we should be seeing updates weekly. Their number one goal should be getting it to where Zune is today.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

So, post update it seems that several of my songs are now listed as streaming. Not sure why. There is a noticeable increase in speed but menus can still take a split second to pop up. For example, swiping up from the bottom still takes longer than expected. Also, the jump lists takes a little bit of time to load as well. I'm guessing things are faster on more powerful hardware but I still think MS should design XM to work better on weaker hardware. Syncing playlists between the 920 and XM still seems to be nonexistent. Using the "Downloads" option under preferences didn't automatically pull in songs that I downloaded on my 920. Shame, because that would make my life so much easier. Fortunately, one issue I had has been addressed. You can now start a playlist from any song on the list and continue from there.

Overall, a solid update and the speed improvements are definitely welcomed. However, syncing issues still need to be addressed and I would love to see Microsoft get XM running better on the Tegra 3. Surface is their flagship RT device and it should be treated as such.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Just got it first change noticed you can click on a letter and it will bring up the alphabet kinda like the wp8 but it will also show you how many artists you have under that letter. This was one of the big things I was looking for.

there is also a minimize button near the letters.

a little bit of instuctions have been added to explain the difference between cloud storage and streaming, and how music is added to xbox music

Instead of showing songs when you click on an artist it actually lists albums you have by that arists

by clicking on an album there there is now a match album info at the bottom of the screen.

there is also a drop down to select to see the music on this pc and on the cloud.

These are large improvements and some of my own biggest gripes.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

When I ran the update I guess I had all that cloud-BS turned on. So now my library is FULL of crap I maybe listened to once on my desktop PC and certainly (especially since meta-data organization exists in Xbox Music... oh wait) don't need cluttering my mobile device.

I turned all that off but everything is still in my library. Anyone got a fix?

(also what device do I need to delete stuff on for it to go away for ever? I once downloaded the free-episode preview of **** on wheels and it shows up EVERYWHERE, in xbox video, in zune. And it is no longer on any of my PC's or my xbox)

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Does it already allow us to access our music collection in the cloud from our Windows Phone ? (musics are downloaded by myself from third party website not xbox music)
I'm guessing yes. The music I have on my Lumia 822 now shows up in the music app on my desktop. Also, it doesn't matter where you buy your music, whether the desktop or your phone, it will sync it and show up on both.

RockPaperBFG

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Update to Music App, Finally Manage Your Cloud Collection!

I saw that there was a new version of the Music app for Windows 8 (desktop not phone) and it now seems to have the ability to manage your cloud music collection. This has made managing my collection and what I want to see on my phone so much easier. They also added a bunch of new features related to playlists and other stuff.

If this is old news please ignore, but I didn't see anything about it here yet, so I thought I would share.

Tweet for Major Nelson about it: https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/316558537880924160

Seems the Verge has an article about it already: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4...lume-control-sync-performance-ui-improvements

Last edited:

Trainwreck_0532

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Syncing songs to my phone still doesn't work, triple tracking again when syncing through explorer still. With cloud turned on double tracks with synced and cloud tracks, still garbage.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Does it still massively suck? I'm at work and can't fiddle with it

Current issues:
Master List Of Issues With XBox Music On WP8 - Microsoft Community

Sorting/Management
- Device only sorts albums by Name, not Date (WP7 devices sorted albums by date). Can we have an on-device option to choose? Any other sort options (i.e. sort by Album Artist) would also be very useful.

- Cannot delete entire folders on phone at once (i.e. delete an entire Album, Artist, etc.) ? can only check off and delete individual songs. WP7 did at least allow for the manual deletion of complete albums, playlists, etc.

Podcasts
- Few, if any options, for Podcast management. Many podcast features stripped from WP7. Syncing Podcasts is difficult and often does not display in Podcasts section, similar to issues syncing with Playlists.

- Not possible to add Podcasts to the Xbox Music+Video hub by RSS url. Used to be able to add to WP7 using the Zune software.
- Podcast playback position forgotten by device when switching to any other app that uses volume control (i.e. YouTube).
- Occasionally volume control in Podcasts ceases to function (though continues to work in other apps that use volume), requiring a device reboot or other odd workarounds.

Metadata

- "Connect with XBox Music"option in Settings: if ticked on, this option will often completely overwrite existing user-defined metadata (i.e. album name, artist name, artwork, track listing, etc.) with incorrect info, for instance the wrong artist, track names, etc. In some cases it is even splitting albums in multiple parts. There is no option to only fill in missing info, as there was in Zune with WP7.
(edit: more on this specificly at this thread)
- Even with "Connect with XBox Music" option ticked, Album/Artist Artwork often does not download where missing, or wrong artwork is downloaded.
- WP8 device does not recognize any metadata for Multiple Discs, Song Ratings, Release Date, etc from existing music collections. Albums with multiple discs display tracks in order of 1,1,2,2,3,3, etc. instead of 1,2,3,1,2,3, etc. WP7 usually correctly recognized all data, and accurately reflected (synced) metadata between device and PC.

WP8 Sync App - "Syncing" functions are very basic - virtually non-existent compared to the rich sync experience in Zune or even iTunes.
- No icon indicating if media is currently on device or not. Have to navigate all the way back to the home screen of the app and click on a whole different subset of folders to see what media is on your device.

- No manual syncing or management of Playlists. Cannot generate auto-playlists, like in Zune.
- No visible folder hierarchy in navigation.
- Very few options to actually manage media library.

WP8 Desktop App
- "Syncing" functions are very basic - virtually non-existent compared to the rich sync experience in Zune or even iTunes.
- Can transfer Playlists, but they show up empty on device.
- Can only transfer at Artist/Album level, not Song level.
- Nothing to indicate what media is already on device or not.

- Software needs to scan entire media library every time it is launched.
- If syncing to micro SD card, there is often a bug displaying multiple instances of the same song, even though there should be only one on the device.

- UI is totally spartan, lacks any sort of helpful options or organizational tools, such as seeing song ratings (or songs for that matter) and only syncing songs with positive ratings. Cannot use this software to manage actual media library on PC, alter metadata, etc.

Subscription
- Cannot transfer subscription content from Zune Pass to WP8 device - understood this is because these two systems use different DRM, however re-downloading previous Zune subscription content through XBox Music is a nightmare. XBox Music downloads incorrect music, including tracks that were never part of user's library. It also downloads doubles of non-subscription DRM-free songs that are already on user's PC, as well as any songs that the user once had in their subscription folder even if they deleted them long ago.

- WP8 devices don't seem to understand the difference between locally stored content and subscription Cloud content in many instances - music player often stutters while searching for Cloud content, even though the content is stored locally on the WP8 device. Other issues include "unable to play" error messages for DRM-free content that should work.

- Cannot rate streaming XBox Music content.

Performance
- Sluggish delay (approx. 2 seconds) when navigating music library, skipping songs, loading songs, etc. on WP8 device.
- Huge lag when using Play Music (shuffle all) button on device (or generally when playing large numbers of tracks) - audio plays after 5-10 seconds, but actual device completely locks up (becomes unresponsive to all touch/hardware input) for 30-60 seconds before regaining responsiveness.
- When shuffling all (or, again, when playing large numbers of tracks), there is a delay (approx. 2 seconds) when skipping tracks.
- Performance issues seem to be made worse when music is stored and read off of expandable memory (making the addition of expandable memory options to WP8 a fairly useless feature). However issues are still present (to a slightly lesser extent) when reading music off of internal device memory.

- Note that NONE of these performance issues existed on WP7, even when playing the same large number of tracks all at once, and/or using the shuffle all function.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the app specific volume control implemented in this update is a sign of things to come, especially to WP which many moan about.

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Xbox Music App right now and I like the update. You can now have Xbox Music scan your music collection automatically and manually by song and not just by album. However, Xbox Music still only matches songs that are only on Xbox Music. I wish it would match songs that aren't on Xbox Music or give you the option to upload it, especially since both Amazon, Apple and Google's music matching services allow you to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos