Xbox music on Windows phone 8 data issues..

bdwayneferguson

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So what is the deal with data usage on windows phone 8 when using the Xbox music app?
Now while I am a Xbox music (zune) subscriber the issue I am having is with any music file I have on the phone not just drm music and I have the cloud option turned off.
It seems to me that every time I play a song file (in this case even the ones I own as mp3s outright ripped from CDS) the phone uses data to check something and then plays the song.
I noticed it doing this while at work while inside a room with a pretty bad cell connection because of wiring and various other reasons. When I would play a song it would freeze for a bit while having a spotty cell connection.
This really annoyed me later after I turned off my data when I was surprisingly running very close to my limit while at work.
I have no wifi option while at work.
When I got close to my limit I cut off the cellular data on the phone. Then when I tried to play an mp3 on the phone it said I could not without a data connection.
Every song was unplayable with data turned off even ones that had no prior connection to xbox music or zune.
It also seemed to do this even if I went under settings and cut off connecting to xbox music.
Later I began to think this was the reason my data was being chewed up. Sometimes while I work I will just constantly play the music app while I am doing something. If it is using data every time it starts a new song or album I think it is actually using a lot of data after many, many hours.
Has anyone else noticed this? I had never really noticed it before but I assume it has always been doing this??
Is there a work around or a way I can stop this? At this point I am even open to getting rid of my very old Xbox music subscription.

BTW I have the htc 8x on verizon if that has anything to do with it...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't happen with me. It only wont play songs that are downloaded (not purchased) from Xbox Music. Everything else, it even plays in flight mode!!

bdwayneferguson

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough while testing it today.... I downloaded a couple of albums using the subscription service, cut off the wifi and the data and they would play fine. But all of the non subscription stuff would not play with out a data connection.
I just don't get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett