Xbox Music, your concerns and issues.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey all! I am working on a Xbox music guide for WP8 and Win 8 and want to make sure I can help with at least some peoples issues. I only have my current experience getting the service to work for me and my devices and want some input from the community. Please post some items you have had issues with and I will see if I can address them in the guide.

Thanks!

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Music management. Changing album covers and stuff. Zune (heck, even WMP) was awesome at that. As far as I know, Xbox Music can't even change a song title...

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Music management. Changing album covers and stuff. Zune (heck, even WMP) was awesome at that. As far as I know, Xbox Music can't even change a song title...

I know that track title and albulm art cover is pulled directly from the tags of the music files you have. Is all your files tagged properly?

thewaterbird

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing that drives me nuts, and I'm hoping I'm just missing something- is if there is a song playing and I want to pause it, the only two ways I know how to do this is to turn off my phone and use the pause on the lock screen, or go all through xbox music until i find the album that's playing and then the particular song, and then pause it that way. Am I missing something? A "now playing" screen would be *reallly* handy!

Sari_M

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Press "volume up" and the music controls pop up on your screen, then you can stop the music or go to the next or previous song. If you tap the artist name / song title there, you'll get the "now playing" screen.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Make it easier to sync your lists and music between devices, the interface and designs are totally different between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. Even how you find and play music is obtuse. So I've end up with two lists Nokia Music on the phone and Xbox music on the tablet. Not an ideal situation and I refuse to pay for two overlapping services.

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know where the blame lies, but I have problems with the audio apps in WP8. If I try to transfer music from my computer to the phone using the Windows Store apps in Windows 8, I get some songs listed two or three times. This does not happen if I do the transfer in my computer directly to the micro SD card. Also, many of the tag items seem to get corrupted - album names are changed, for example. This results in several listings for the same album, each with some, but not all of the songs. This still seems to be a work in progress. Since I see the same problems in Nokia Music and Xbox music, it would appear that the fault is not in Xbox along, but I don't know how this process works. Hopefully, a fix will be forthcoming in the next release.

shreyas15

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The ability to delete entire albums, Artists Or songs should be made available.
Also, an added equalizer option will be great! It's so disappointing when basic java phones have those options and wp8 doesn't!

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The ability to delete entire albums, Artists Or songs should be made available.
Also, an added equalizer option will be great! It's so disappointing when basic java phones have those options and wp8 doesn't!

an eq is must, i agree! nokia windows phone have a great eq program, but xbox music could certainly use one and hopefully a pretty elaborate one. i love being able to tinker. i'm involved in music and would love to be able to go into an eq and adjust the mids, for example, to be able to hear a guitar, for example, a little more clearly if i'm trying to transcript it...or be able to pull back some sizzle (highs) on a snare drum on a hip hop track if it's too much for my ears.

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you want to see the problems then try these links:
Master list of issues:
http://answers.microsoft.com/static...c-on-wp8/b1c64834-de43-4af6-8069-4626090289a3

Master List of Issues (the return)
http://answers.microsoft.com/static...perience/2cc28d2f-d5aa-4840-8cf8-8129f5577546

Zune Uservoice Suggestion
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...058-continue-to-use-zune-for-media-sync-in-wp

My WPC Thread (Xbox Music - Enough is enough)
http://forums.windowscentral.com/groove-music/217754-xbox-music-enough-enough.html

The Major Issues relate to syncing and music management

1) Duplicates - there seem to be many causes for this problem, but MS never addresses it.
2) DRM issues - WP8 regularly incorrectly tells you that you don't have the rights to play music (many times the first track of an album).
3) Metadata issues - if it doesn't recognise a track, it won't cloud sync it. You have minimal control of the metadata etc and XBM will have no problems with overwriting your music collection's metadata with its own, and introducing DRM in the process.
4) The syncing situation is totally disjointed. There is no one problem free method of managing your music (many people find the best way is with iTunes!?!?!).
5) The dedicated sync app is a total joke.
6) Managing playlists is a near impossible task.
7) No podcast support
8) The cloud sucks! There's no easy way to manage what's in your cloud music collection.
9) It's bad for pre-owned music. If you owned the music before using XBM, then if you sync from the cloud, then you can only stream it to your WP - there is no download option (this is bad for your dataplan, your battery life, for listening while travelling or if your happen to be in bad reception areas).
10) It gets easily confused with what's downloaded and what is streaming. I've seen it say that the track is downloaded, but in fact it streams it anyway!
11) Lack of wireless sync. Zune had wireless sync, which was completely seemless.

This list is by no means definitive either.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Xbox music seem expensive now with all these free option ,Pandora,Nokia music,metro radio,iheart radio Xbox music is 120$ a year vs free service but on PC xbm streams free I don't get it if it were a bit cheaper I might consider

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Xbox music seem expensive now with all these free option ,Pandora,Nokia music,metro radio,iheart radio Xbox music is 120$ a year vs free service but on PC xbm streams free I don't get it if it were a bit cheaper I might consider
None of those services allow me to pick the exact song I'm looking for to listen to. I can pick an artist or a station and hope to hear the song I want, but it doesn't beat hearing what I want and when I want it. Plus, I can download the songs to play on all my windows devices without worrying about streaming or even having an internet connection (i.e. I can listen to my xbox music songs on a flight, without paying for wifi. If my data connection is struggling - say, I'm driving and listening plugged in to car stereo -, my playlist can skip the streamed songs and play my locally downloaded ones)

It all depends on how you use your music. For some people, such as the ones who subscribe, they see the value in it for themselves over a free streaming service.

Regarding my concerns, I have yet to find a way to remove an album or song from my cloud "collection". Via the Xbox Music app, it seems to load an entire album into my cloud collection when I play just one or two songs from that album, so on my Windows Phone, the list of albums "in my collection" keeps growing and growing... based on what I have been doing on my PC.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Xbox music is $99 a year.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want to see the problems then try these links:
Master list of issues:
http://answers.microsoft.com/static...c-on-wp8/b1c64834-de43-4af6-8069-4626090289a3

Master List of Issues (the return)
http://answers.microsoft.com/static...perience/2cc28d2f-d5aa-4840-8cf8-8129f5577546

Zune Uservoice Suggestion
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...058-continue-to-use-zune-for-media-sync-in-wp

My WPC Thread (Xbox Music - Enough is enough)
http://forums.windowscentral.com/groove-music/217754-xbox-music-enough-enough.html

The Major Issues relate to syncing and music management

1) Duplicates - there seem to be many causes for this problem, but MS never addresses it.
2) DRM issues - WP8 regularly incorrectly tells you that you don't have the rights to play music (many times the first track of an album).
3) Metadata issues - if it doesn't recognise a track, it won't cloud sync it. You have minimal control of the metadata etc and XBM will have no problems with overwriting your music collection's metadata with its own, and introducing DRM in the process.
4) The syncing situation is totally disjointed. There is no one problem free method of managing your music (many people find the best way is with iTunes!?!?!).
5) The dedicated sync app is a total joke.
6) Managing playlists is a near impossible task.
7) No podcast support
8) The cloud sucks! There's no easy way to manage what's in your cloud music collection.
9) It's bad for pre-owned music. If you owned the music before using XBM, then if you sync from the cloud, then you can only stream it to your WP - there is no download option (this is bad for your dataplan, your battery life, for listening while travelling or if your happen to be in bad reception areas).
10) It gets easily confused with what's downloaded and what is streaming. I've seen it say that the track is downloaded, but in fact it streams it anyway!
11) Lack of wireless sync. Zune had wireless sync, which was completely seemless.

This list is by no means definitive either.

I 100% agree with everything on this list.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Read the posts and you would know the "features" you get for only $ 99.00. Everyone must decide for themselves if the features are worth it to them. They are to me. Common mistake to just look at numbers and not compare value.
maybe bundle with Xbox live? Xbox live half the price maybe work on a package deal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo