Why aren't the artist images appearing on Groove Music?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

why aren't the artist images appearing on groove music?

I updated to windows 10, under the previous default music player the artist images appeared, as did the album artwork. Currently only one artist image appears on groove music while the others do not, the album artwork is visible, but the artist images are the generic grey outline shape.

zgotenz

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: why aren't the artist images appearing on groove music?

Same problem here, also album cover is a mess, I manually added cover album to all my mp3s with mp3tag, but on groove music (w10 mobile) some show the cover and other just empty.

Anachostic

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
There is a utility that may help with missing artist and album art. I can't post links, but search for GrooveManager on CodePlex.

There's still the issue that Xbox Music doesn't have any profiles for a lot of the artists that I have, so there's no way to add an image outside of Xbox Music. Albums, though, can use external files.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Windows 10 for about 2 months. I only just noticed this issue when I added new CD rips to my phone last night.

Most of the artists do correctly show the artist image from the store as long as one is available. I scrolled through my entire collection. Excluding the newly added music, the only artist I saw that was not showing the artist's photo was Avril Lavigne, which I know from past experience does have a profile in the Windows Store. I don't see any options to be able to match my music with the store.

I will try looking for GrooveManager as Anachostic suggested. I have been using a little program called Zune Social Tagger, which worked well for Xbox Music on WP8.1 to correctly match the music without messing with my accurate metadata, but it requires that I keep the discontinued Zune software installed on my computer.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I tried the Groove Manager, but I can't get it to run on my computer. I keep getting an "Unhandled exception" error when I first open it.

InvalidArgument-Value of '-1' is not valid for 'index'.
Parameter name: index

This could possibly be because of an issue with Groove Music on my computer. I can't open the app without it crashing, even after uninstalling Groove using PowerShell and reinstalling it from the Windows Store.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
The behaviour of Groove is surely strange. The first time I installed Windows 10 mobile, everything except artist images was functional. Then I needed to do a hard Reset of the phone, restored my music and an artist beginning with "n" was filed under "v". Of course, this time the artist images had problems too. Some artist images were found and some not. Today I installed an update for Groove music and it needed to reload everything. This time, less artist images for the exact same music were found. The artist beginning with "n" were now filed under "n", but the assignment between artist and album does not function correctly. A few albums are now filed under unknown artist, which were not filed there before...
By the way, every track is copied from my computer and was not bought on groove.

I seriously would like to know what they are doing wrong...

edit: somehow it got better after restarting my phone, but still has a few problems

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Two days after making my first post in this thread about only new music missing the artist images, All my artist images have disappeared from Groove. The next thing I'll try is to clear my SD card and reload my music, but it may take a while before I get around to doing that.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I still haven't gotten around to reloading my music, but I was on a car trip over the weekend playing music when my artist artwork suddenly began reloading itself in the Groove app on my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte