Transferring Music to OneDrive for Groove, can I get some help?

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Transferring Music to OneDrive for Groove

I'm hoping someone can clarify a couple of things for me so I don't make a mess of my music collection. I still use Zune to organize and play all of my music on my PC because frankly Xbox Music was butchering my metadata and creating far too many issues (as well as using it to sync music to my Zune HD). If I copy all of my music from the "Documents Music" folder to my OneDrive Music folder, will OneDrive attempt to find and correct Metadata information? Furthermore, does this mean all of my music is stored in the cloud? If I wanted to play music from the Zune program locally how could I do that if all of my music is now stored in the cloud? Finally when syncing via the OneDrive folder process does this store files locally on each of my devices? I still don't understand when OneDrive caches files for local access even when they are primarily stored in the Cloud. My Surface RT wouldn't be able to hold all of my music, so I don't want to put all of my music collection in the OneDrive Music folder and then have my Surface maxed out on space. Any clarity or thorough guides for navigating this would be appreciated!

All of my thoughts are in reference to this recent Windows Central article that was posted a little while back:
How to access your music collection from OneDrive with Groove Music on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let me try and break this down for you to see if I can answer your questions.

--If I copy all of my music from the "Documents Music" folder to my OneDrive Music folder, will OneDrive attempt to find and correct Metadata information?

In short, No. OneDrive is just pure cloud storage and does not manipulate meta data and the sort unless the application you are using does this.

--Furthermore, does this mean all of my music is stored in the cloud?

Yes, everything you put in your OneDrive folders sync to the cloud. You can use the OneDrive App on your desktop to tell it what folders to sync, but not putting them in the cloud kind of negates moving them.

--If I wanted to play music from the Zune program locally how could I do that if all of my music is now stored in the cloud?

Zune won't go to the cloud to play your music, however, when you have OneDrive Sync'd to your PC and the Music folder sync'd, your PC still retains the LOCAL copy. If you change something in OneDrive from another device, those changes will sync to the cloud and all of your connected devices.

--Finally when syncing via the OneDrive folder process does this store files locally on each of my devices?

This all depends on how you have your devices set to sync OneDrive. For your mobile devices that have limited storage space, by default, no, they will just pull from the cloud on demand and in the case of music will stream.

--My Surface RT wouldn't be able to hold all of my music, so I don't want to put all of my music collection in the OneDrive Music folder and then have my Surface maxed out on space. Any clarity or thorough guides for navigating this would be appreciated!

For streaming on devices like Tablets and Phones, they have a limited space that they allocate for caching of the music files and will age them off as room is needed. Unless you explicitly tell OneDrive to sync on your tablet/mobile, it will not auto sync all.

On other PC's, you set up the folders you want to sync with OneDrive (if you don't choose them all)

On my OneDrive I have over 17TB (2TB used) of space, there is NO WAY I want everything to sync with my mobile devices since I would not have the space. I create specific folders that I want to sync to my mobiles and just drop files in there as needed.

I hope that helped and answered your question. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett