Why won't Groove Music display all of my music?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Groove Music won't display all of my music

I have a 1520 running Windows 10 mobile and roughly 9k songs. I use Itunes to update my music library since Groove for PC has nothing at all to help me keep my library pristine. Since Windows 10 has no syncing features for phones anymore I spent hours yesterday deleting all of the music on my phones SD card and adding my updated library onto the SD card (roughly 50gb). I should also mention that all of this was done from my Surface Book (i7,16gb ram, 512ssd). For some reason removing my SD card wouldn't delete the songs in Groove mobile so I had to delete them manually. After it showed Groove mobile as being empty I put the SD card back in my phone with the new library and it began to sync the data from the SD card but it didn't add all of the music for some reason. So now I have 9k songs on my SD card but I'm pretty sure Groove mobile doesn't even seem to show half of it (I don't know the exact number of songs it sees because there seems to be no way to tell how many songs it has). All of the songs in my library are compatible with Groove and even playback perfectly fine when selected from file explorer on my phone but do not show up at all in Groove mobile. I cannot find anyway at all to manually get Groove to update itself or sync with the SD card. What can I do about this?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Groove Music won't display all of my music

Suggestion.. try a 3rd party music player to see if the issue is still there

Last edited:

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

2 suggestions.. try a 3rd party music player to see if the issue is still there or remove the groove music app and reinstall if from the store
Unfortunately, the press and hold on Groove in the All Apps section only gives "Pin to Start" as an option. And in the Storage app, selecting Groove gives "Move" and "Uninstall" but both are greyed out and not accessible. So unless you know another way, I don't think you can uninstall Groove.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Music is very important to me. Xbox music was bad but this is just ridiculous. I've been with windows phone for over 2 years and windows 10 has been so terrible for me and now this. Is there no fix or is it safe to say I need to switch to iphone?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, the press and hold on Groove in the All Apps section only gives "Pin to Start" as an option. And in the Storage app, selecting Groove gives "Move" and "Uninstall" but both are greyed out and not accessible. So unless you know another way, I don't think you can uninstall Groove.

idd.. I thought the old wp 8/8.1 trick still worked: set the year to the latest you can get and that allowed you to remove certain apps

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried signing out of Groove then back in?

I am not a fan of iTunes since it can mess with your song files. Can you elaborate on 'updating' your music library? Did you purchase songs from iTunes or ripped from CDs, or just downloaded them from other sources? Songs purchased in iTunes have DRM, usually not playable anywhere else except iTunes with Apple Acct. Much like Movies rented or purchased from MS Store cannot be played anywhere else except in the Movies app when signed in with our MSA.

But since you say Groove desktop app works, I assume it could be Groove Mobile issue. You may need to do hard reset, since it is core app and cannot remove it. Formatting your SD card wouldn't hurt either.

Another note, album art is usually also not compatible cross platform and differing apps.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried signing out of Groove then back in?

I am not a fan of iTunes since it can mess with your song files. Can you elaborate on 'updating' your music library? Did you purchase songs from iTunes or ripped from CDs, or just downloaded them from other sources? Songs purchased in iTunes have DRM, usually not playable anywhere else except iTunes with Apple Acct. Much like Movies rented or purchased from MS Store cannot be played anywhere else except in the Movies app when signed in with our MSA.

But since you say Groove desktop app works, I assume it could be Groove Mobile issue. You may need to do hard reset, since it is core app and cannot remove it. Formatting your SD card wouldn't hurt either.

Another note, album art is usually also not compatible cross platform and differing apps.

Itunes hasn't used DRM protection in years and these songs are ones I own not in the cloud, rented or anything like that. The songs that do not show up in Groove mobile are also under all different categories, some from CD rips, some purchased from itunes, some were even purchased from Groove/Xbox music and even songs from mixtapes or created by myself (I'm a music producer). When I say update I mean I've updated metadata Tags on all the songs in my library to organize it. I do this all the time to keep my library organized. The phone was already hard reset when I updated it to windows 10 not too long ago. Maybe formating the card might help. I can try that. There aren't any errors on it though. I know because I recently scanned it. My problem isn't album art. Its whole albums missing. I know they are on my SD card. I can find them and play them manually but they do not show up in groove music at all even though they are there so as of right now I need to select and play one song at a time to play most of the albums I own even though they're there.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Hmmm. Possibly a Groove Mobile issue then. Maybe an upper limit bug for number of songs. Imma gonna try adding few more thousand song. Currently at 1500, mostly purchased through MS Store and syncd directly onto phone using built in sync feature for purchased music

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

I'm at a little over 4100 songs and they are all displayed fine in Groove. So if there is a limit, I haven't reached it yet.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site

According to this there is a limit of 50k. So you should be fine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080138

I know there is a limit of 100 playlists for sync/backup. I'm trying to get them to remove that.

I know that Groove can take some time importing a large library. Have you just let it sit a while before interacting with it?

Also, have you tried using File Explorer on the files you know are missing from Groove?

EDIT: I have 5k songs in my library and they all were added just fine for me.

Last edited:

davidsunsbk

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

It will take some time to let Groove update all the songs especially the number is about 9k. Plus, using ITunes to manage your songs in Windows might be a bad idea.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Yes it sat there and loaded the songs. It no longer loads songs and there's no way that I know of to manually load the songs. And yes I can play the songs from file explorer.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

It's ridiculous. It's been like this for days now and i found out not only is not showing some whole albums but even the albums I bought from groove mobile that are on the SD card is incomplete. I got albums that are missing random songs out of them. My 1520 is only 16 gigs so there's no way I can store 9k songs on it. It's roughly 50gb worth of songs. My SD card is a 128gb and the only thing on it is music, videos, documents. No apps or anything else like that.

grissomtech

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site

I've actually gone back to my Note 4 from the 640 (favorite phone). Groove simply wants you to pay a monthly/yearly rate to listen to music that you already own. I haven't got time to search for 3rd party players, if anyone knows of a 3rd party player that shuffles, playlists, etc, basically the same functions as Groove I'd appreciate it. Man I miss my 640!

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
First of all, I will kindly refer you to the thread I already have going about 200GB SD card and Groove.
Second of all, the issue is Groove. All these people that are questioning the validity of your mp3s don't know what they're talking about when it comes to this issue. They probably use Groove with much smaller of a library and think it's the greatest thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, Groove has promise, but it's simply not compatible with large music collections at the moment. We just have to keep complaining about it until someone at Microsoft gets a clue and tests with a larger music collection.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Bad news. This is still happening. I have the newest update and I've discovered that although groove has most of my music it's still missing roughly 1k songs. What's worse is the songs missing are songs I bought from groove itself. These songs don't even seem to appear available when I click streaming. What is up with groove? This has gone on long enough.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720