Camera questions

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys and girls I have a Lumia 1520 and when I take pics how do I know if I am taking the 5mega pix or the 16mega pix? Also apart the size what's the difference between 16:9 and 4:3

Oh....and what's the best lens to use when I take a pic? Not interested in photo editing or filters...just to take a normal pic. Thanks guys

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi. The pictures you view in the Camera Roll, Storyteller etc, are 5MP in order to not overload the phone. To see the 16MP picture you can use Files app or set the automatic upload of High res pictures to OneDrive.

16:9 and 4:3 are aspect ratios (e.g. 1920x1080 is 16:9, 1440x1080 is 4:3). The first one is wide, the other one is closer to a square.

There are pretty much photo apps, like Fhotoroom, OneLens, ProShot etc etc etc.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Camera can take both 5 MP and 16/19 MP photos at once, depending on the setting and aspect ratio chosen in NC's settings. The 16/19 MP photo is viewable in NC's camera roll, but not in the normal Photos app.

ProShot has more resolution options.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I tried proshot but gave me difficulties. I would like to be able to take a pic knowing its at 16 mega pixels. I used files and it keeps saying all my pics are 5.1 mega pixels

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I found that using Nokia Camera works for what you're asking. Again with 5+38 or 5+16 setting toggled it'll take both pictures, you can view the full resolution image in Nokia camera and I'm photos you get the five megapixel one. As for the best lens, well I just use Nokia Camera, if I want to fix the picture up I'll use Fhotoroom, Creative Studio or the default options

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Does the Nokia camera include the beta version? Sorry for so many questions. And also..is camera roll the 5 or 16 mega pixels? To be honest its so good I would say 16 mega pixels but it keeps coming up as 5 mega pixels in files

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
On my 1020, and I imagine the 1520 is exactly the same, I can view the hi-res images in Nokia Camera or Nokia Camera Beta. When you view a photo and it gives you the option to Open In Nokia Camera (or ditto Beta), click on it and you'll get the editing image, hi-res, but with with the grid superimposed. That's not good for just viewing. To see it without the grid, open Nokia Camera (or Beta version) as if you were going to take a photo and instead press on the photos icon. You don't get thumbnails though and have to scroll through all your photos to find the one you want. But they are hi-res, and in the 1020 at least, noticeably sharper.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I found out that in Nokia beta while looking at photos you can zoom in a lot more. But as for looking at pics from Nokia beta and normal pics.... I still can't tell the difference as I had them both open side by side and they both look good.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait to get my daughters Lumia 520 as I will take the same pic then compare..but the pics in the normal picture scroll looks amazing as it is. Thank you for the advice

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If I view a photo in Photos on my 1020 and then press Open In Nokia Camera, there is an immediate and obvious difference in sharpness. Perhaps this is not so noticeable in the 1520.

The 520 was my first phone and I feel a great affection for it..excellent performance for the price. The camera takes high quality photos and if you transfer them to your 1520 via OneDrive, if that is installed in both phones, you will notice that the higher-res display will let the 520 photos shine.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The Lumia 520 was great when I recorded my brothers wedding on it. Made it look professional. As the camera on the 1520 is not as sharp as the 1020 I assume that its not that obvious to spot the camera difference. Maybe I got it wrong all this time and the 1520 is always showing the 16 mega pixels. Untill I get the Lumia 520 back and compare I will just have to wait

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You were right the first time...the camera stows the hi-res image, 16 or 19mp depending on picture ratio, deep into its innards so that it can be used for cropping and editing should you wish. It spits out an oversampled 5mp image and that's what you see in Photos. You can view the hi-res images as I've described, although that's not mentioned in this comparison of the 1520 and 1020 by Steve Litchfield, should you care to read if you haven't already:

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19120_The_Lumia_1520_stills_camera_h.php

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Interesting read. Delving deeper I did a few test. Nokia beta shows the full resolution while normal camera doesn't. I found out by using the zoom after the pics are taken. You can zoom much more in with the beta cam. And switching to 4:3 automatically adjust the pixels from 16 to 19. Viewing pictures in camera roll doesn't show the full detail, you have to go into the beta camera then click on top right pics (what you said) but still confused as to why it says its 5.1 MB on the Microsoft files. Surely it should be bigger?

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
When I opened one from Photos into Nokia Camera just now, and checked pic info, it said under capture mode, JPEG (5MP + 34MP). There are two other capture modes if I remember right....but you will excuse me if I go no further because I for one find it confusing trying to understand all the ins and outs of Nokia photography. I have twelve Nokia photography apps on my 1020 for goodness sake, some so seldom used I hardly know what they do. The bottom line is that Nokia puts better cameras on its phones than other manufacturers, as you will have certainly discovered with your 1520 and 520.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I changed the settings and think its easy to work out. I have posted the findings I another thread but want to say thank you all the same for taking time out to help me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786