HP Workspace

vadim frunza

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I watched the video on HP's website and now I'm curious about the "HP Workspace Apps". What is it and what are those apps? What does it do?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
HP Workspace apps are meant for business usage and are usually subscribed to by the business for their employees and clients. The businesses run legacy Windows apps through the cloud to the employees or clients. So they are running them remotely through a secure VPN into a virtualized desktop environment which is enabled via Continuum.

From ZDnet
-------------------------------------
HP Workspace

HP's three-in-one (phone, laptop, desktop) Elite x3 device ecosystem is complemented by a software component -- HP Workspace. Designed to facilitate access to virtualized, cloud-hosted enterprise apps (many of them originally written for Windows XP), HP Workspace is an app catalogue that authenticates to Active Directory, pulling up a tile for each of the apps to which the user has access. When the Elite x3 is docked, clicking on an app tile initiates a VPN session to the datacenter, bringing up the virtualized desktop app on the attached monitor (or Mobile Extender), where it can be driven by a keyboard and mouse (or touchpad).

HP has also partnered with leading CRM provider Salesforce to preinstall Salesforce1 on every Elite x3.
----------------------------------------

From Anandtech
-------------------------------------------
Continuum allows you to run your phone as a desktop PC, but the app selection is restricted to UWP apps which support Continuum. At the moment, that isn’t a huge selection, and you can’t natively run any Win32 apps. HP has a solution for this too, which is HP Workspace, which is an app catalog to let you access virtualized apps. App virtualization is not a new technology, so HP will leverage HP Workspace to use this existing tech and stream business apps to the phone. This is already a popular solution in business to get line of business apps out to mobile devices like tablets and phones, and HP’s version has full support for Continuum.
------------------------------------------------

From PhoneArena
------------------------------------------------
So what does built for business mean when we speak about the HP Elite x3? Frist, the phone supports HP Workspace, an app catalog made by HP to provide access to virtualized apps. HP Workspace creates a virtual PC, so that users have access to company curated catalogs of x86 apps via a virtualized solution.
-----------------------------------------------

From Windows Central
--------------------------------------------------
Can it run classic Windows desktop apps?
Yes and no. The Elite x3 is still a Snapdragon 820 processor, and it cannot run Win32 apps directly. Instead, it is limited to just apps from the Windows Store.

However, and this is the big deal here, HP has enabled software virtualization so that companies can take their legacy desktop apps and run them through the cloud to the HP Workspace software on the Elite x3. As a result, when companies run the Elite x3 in Continuum mode they can run virtualized desktop apps remotely but securely.

This ability makes the Elite x3 close enough for businesses as an all in one device. It has the security and strength through Citrix and Salesforce plus onboard enterprise-level VPN to let IT departments manage the devices remotely.
-----------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps explain things

vadim frunza

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Very interesting. I read up a bit on it but still didn't quite understand it fully. So wanted to spark a conversation about it. Seems interesting. I actually thought it was like a secondary App Store by hp but like I said didn't understand it fully and wasn't sure if it would be for public, business etc. Thank you for all the great info.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
it basically a virtual PC on the cloud that you can remotely control as like desktop remote , so this way you don't have to have a computer running at home or office to do so, but HP would host that on their cloud solution.

NIST

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Outside an enterprise using the workspace subscription it really doesn't resolve the consumer app issue. Which is a shame. The hardware is nice.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a solution I've thought about in the past. HP is doing it through their service, but there's no reason Microsoft can't do it on their's.

HP's solution is business centered. Microsoft could do something different through Azure in the future, allowing a user to install an OS to their Cloud space while also installing apps, games, etc. The primary concern is latency.

This solution already exists somewhat due to the Remote Desktop app that you can get on the phone. That should work in Continuum and allow you to connect to your desktop and use it.

There are a lot of options in this space going forward.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
There are serveral other options,
1. some of the acedamic institutes , lie th one i work for, offer certain faculties and grad students similar service, so you can run much more intensive programs even you don't own an high end laptop/PC. Which arks with continuum thru desktop remote app. I use that some times on my Lumia 950.
2. Everyone can setup their own remote workstation by simply enable the desktop remote control on the desktop at home. So on the go, just use continuum and desktop remote app to run x86/64 programs if needed.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
1. some of the acedamic institutes , lie th one i work for, offer certain faculties and grad students similar service, so you can run much more intensive programs even you don't own an high end laptop/PC. Which arks with continuum thru desktop remote app. I use that some times on my Lumia 950.
2. Everyone can setup their own remote workstation by simply enable the desktop remote control on the desktop at home. So on the go, just use continuum and desktop remote app to run x86/64 programs if needed.

That's what I do as well. But like what Mr. MacPhisto said, the problem is latency. Also I wish HP would release their RGS software in UWP.. I think it'll be nice to have a RDP alternative, especially for those who use RGS.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Might not be practical, but when continuum was first announced, I wondered about the potential of setting up VMs on my server at home and having docks for the kids. They could RDP into the VM when/if they needed to and would only need one device. Would probably be cheaper to have a low end phone and a laptop though but could be an option down the road as mid range continuum phones become available.

vadim frunza

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

I didn't know that. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes