Wi-Fi Calling

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the HP elite x3 will support wi-fi calling on either T-Mobile or ATT? It's real disappointing that the Lumia 950 currently doesn't have this feature on either network. For business users working inside buildings, this is a needed feature.

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely agree with this. I just tweeted tmo help and asked about wifi calling on unlocked phones in general. it wasn't good news. Most likely no. But she did say newer devices are changing that so... sounds like someone needs to be a ginny pig and try it.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
That's up to HP. I think it would be foolish of them to not build WiFi calling and VoLTE into this device, but given the track record of unlocked windows phones in the past I'm not terribly hopeful.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if any current Windows phone supports Wi-Fi calling on either AT&T or T-Mobile? I know the Lumia 925 on T-Mobile used to have Wi-Fi calling.

Lumia 950 \ 950XL
HP Elite X3
Acer Liquid Jade Primo
Others??

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Looks like only carrier-branded devices support that stuff in North America as of now. I have a OneTouch Fierce XL on TMO and it supports VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. As far as I can remember, I think Orange over in the UK has Wi-Fi calling on the unlocked 950s.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It's real disappointing that the 950 on ATT doesn't have Wi-Fi calling as we almost switched our business account over to ATT. Both AT&T and Microsoft would of had our business otherwise. For now we're stuck with the icon on Verizon and everyone knows Verizon hates us.

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
HP isn't supporting T-Mobile, nor is MS at this time; they've both said as much. If they aren't supporting T-Mobile, they won't have WiFi calling or VoLTE. Without VoLTE T-Mobile can ask them to disable Band 12 on the phone as they've done with other manufactures. If the phone supports Band 12, it is only for data you can't make calls, not sure about SMS/MMS. As far as I' know, the 950 will use Band 12 for data on T-Mobile, it hasn't been disabled. I have the 950 but I couldn't find an app that give you the details about the cellular connection.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Without VoLTE T-Mobile can ask them to disable Band 12 on the phone as they've done with other manufactures.

Got any links for that?

AT&T is heavy into converting to Band 12 with interoperability for legacy Band 17 devices. I'm unclear on what precedent allows T-Mo to dictate spectrum access.

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Are they supporting AT&T? They do has have Wi-Fi calling on the Iphone.
Originally posted by mgerbasio
HP isn't supporting T-Mobile, nor is MS at this time; they've both said as much. If they aren't supporting T-Mobile, they won't have WiFi calling or VoLTE. Without VoLTE T-Mobile can ask them to disable Band 12 on the phone as they've done with other manufactures. If the phone supports Band 12, it is only for data you can't make calls, not sure about SMS/MMS. As far as I' know, the 950 will use Band 12 for data on T-Mobile, it hasn't been disabled. I have the 950 but I couldn't find an app that give you the details about the cellular connection.

anon(6098928)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Looks like only carrier-branded devices support that stuff in North America as of now. I have a OneTouch Fierce XL on TMO and it supports VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. As far as I can remember, I think Orange over in the UK has Wi-Fi calling on the unlocked 950s.

I use a Lumia 950 in the UK. On EE. And it *does* support Wi-Fi calling.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ahh yes, it was EE! I knew it was one of those! Although I vaguely recall them having provisioning issues early on.

As for the question of WiFi calling and stuff on AT&T, Dan has said that as of now only VVM works. No WiFi calling or VoLTE as of yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa