Ask Me Anything: HP Elite x3 with Anniversary Update

lumiagrams

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
What Tech is used for the stylus? Is it simply a narrow tipped run of the mill capacitive stylus or is there some digitiser Tech involved on the phone side? No one seems to be forthcoming about this.

olatif04

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm in possession of an HP Elite x3 running the Anniversary Update + newer firmware that enables some of the cool features you can check out in this post. I've seen lots of you asking questions about this device over the last few days, so I thought it would be a good idea to throw up an AMA for those who want some answers!

View attachment 130057

Send me your questions below and I'll get answering them!

Is it true that your Zac Bowden

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope the accessories are available soon after the device itself, which hasn't always been the case when you are the margins of the market. As for screen rendering of websites, emails, etc., how does pinch and zoom and word-wrapping work? Does it reconfigure on the fly so that you don't have to scroll to read as the font size changes?

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Thanks for doing this, Zach.

One question I have is just generally: Stylus? I've seen a lot of pics with one. I guess the first question is, is it still going to be a thing? If yes, then have you used it yet? If yes, then how is it?

Thanks!

Should still be a thing, the Desk Dock bundle didn't come with one though. It's a capacitive pen, not active too, so no palm-rejection or anything like that.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
What Tech is used for the stylus? Is it simply a narrow tipped run of the mill capacitive stylus or is there some digitiser Tech involved on the phone side? No one seems to be forthcoming about this.

It's capacitive, since W10M doesn't have support for anything else yet.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Hypothetically, If MS offered a refreshed 950xl with a SD820 and no other changes would you give it the nod over the Elite X3.

Not sure. I really like the design and build of the HP Elite x3. I think I only would because of the 1st party support, but as I said I'm really enjoying the x3's design.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
How about the reverse, can the Lumia 950 XL use the Desk Dock via Continuum?

Perhaps, but it doesn't fit. Haven't tried it with any cables or anything so not sure. Also I've been told that apparently the MS Dock does work with the Elite x3, it didn't for me.. Maybe an issue on my end.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
What about the glance screen feature, would it be included in with a future update for the HP elite x3 or does the device totally doesn't support glance screen?

Glance is a Microsoft device only feature. It's exclusive to Microsoft, not other OEMs. Not many people seem to understand this, they assume Glance is a "Windows 10 Mobile" feature, it is not. It's a Lumia feature.

HP may one day make their own version of Glance, but that's unlikely. It's difficult, and it took Nokia/Microsoft a while to perfect it (that's why it isn't included on the 930).

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Glance is a Microsoft device only feature. It's exclusive to Microsoft, not other OEMs. Not many people seem to understand this, they assume Glance is a "Windows 10 Mobile" feature, it is not. It's a Lumia feature.

Really? It's still MS only feature? I thought after they brought it into system settings with RS1 it would be available to OEMs too (or at least in the near future).

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Might give it a little more metal here and there. Don't get me wrong, the all plastic shell doesn't feel bad at all... But I'm a sucker for metal phones.

Interesting. While I wait for my 950xl to come back from warranty repair, I'm using my HTC One M8, which is metal. I really dislike the metal feel and quickly found a soft case to put on it.

But at least it isn't going to be glass like the horrid Note 7. My son got one and I really dislike that device. Fast? Yes. Friendly and usable? No. The only thing I like is that one can use the Hub Keyboard.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Zac, forgetting about apps for a minute, how does this stack up against flagships on other platforms? I'm talking about build quality, call quality, photos, etc. We already know it doesn't poke any mons or snap any chats, so as far as the device goes, is it worth 8 Benjamins?

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Any random freezing...reboots..or other things like that which have plagued the 950/050xl. Curious if those issues were hardware of software related.

lancelin2k7

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I tried the 950xl dock on the hp and it works fine.

I also tried the 950xl on the HP dock, it only fits if you remove the cover off the dock (you can replaced it with one of the other larger ones in the box) and it works fine too.

lancelin2k7

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Any random freezing...reboots..or other things like that which have plagued the 950/050xl. Curious if those issues were hardware of software related.

Yes, plenty out of the box. I would actually say it was worse than when the 950xl launched. After the anniversary update however, it is smooth as a babies arse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro