Headphone socket

ShentMeister

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. The X3 has been on sale at the UK Microsoft Store for a couple of weeks and I got one, but returned due to the camera crash issues. However, now this seems to be fixed, I'm tempted to get another.

HOWEVER, I decided to try the music audio quality before I returned and I discovered that my personal headphones wouldn't connect. The socket didn't seem compatible. The phones went in but no sound. I tried three different sets, but same result.

My question is: is an adaptor required, or was this just a faulty socket? Will only the supplied headphones work? Thanks!

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Any standard 3 or 4-pin plug should work. Mic support will vary by headphones though, and buttons probably won't work at all.
It's a standard analog audio out, so you can connect any speakers, headphones, adapters, external amplifiers, and it should work fine.

The first time you plug in headphones, you should get a message (a safe volume warning, if I remember correctly) and you have to tap on that before Windows will enable sound out. If you haven't done this, you might not get any sound.
If you don't get the message, make sure the headphones are plugged in all the way. Also, I found that if you plug in headphones while the device is locked, the message might not show up, so unlock the device before plugging in headphones.
Also see if it detects the headphones (you'll see it on the volume control).

ShentMeister

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I tried to push different headphones in and occasionally got a little sound, as if the connection was not complete. Should I assume it was a faulty handset? Can anyone confirm they have had other headphones working with the phone? Thanks!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Just tried it here. I get gobbly static. Two different headphones.

Tried each on my son's S6 and got sound (though his choice of music is questionable.)

Sent from mTalk

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just drill a hole in the case just along from the other hole, plug into the second hole for improved audio performance...................

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. The X3 has been on sale at the UK Microsoft Store for a couple of weeks and I got one, but returned due to the camera crash issues. However, now this seems to be fixed, I'm tempted to get another.

HOWEVER, I decided to try the music audio quality before I returned and I discovered that my personal headphones wouldn't connect. The socket didn't seem compatible. The phones went in but no sound. I tried three different sets, but same result.

My question is: is an adaptor required, or was this just a faulty socket? Will only the supplied headphones work? Thanks!

all 3.5mm headphones jacks should be almost identical. Maybe the jack isn't going in far enough for the 'sound' to properly transfer. Try some Apple EarPods since the cable is quite slim. If that doesn't work maybe see if you can get it repaired?

ShentMeister

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the comment. I'm actually waiting for a new one to arrive. Don't have Apple earphones. Will try the new one and see if it's any better. If it's a design fault I would have thought it would be on the net somewhere in a comment. Otherwise, the new one is going back too!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
1) do you have a case on your phone?
If so remove it as sometimes it prevents the headphones making a complete connection as some headphones top lip is a few mm to wide for some cases.

2) If a full connection is made and you have no case, spin the headphones around if you get audio fading in + out. The port is either faulty or you have some debris in the port. Some compressed air may help remove it, failing that I would say try using a AUX cable and try a sot reset with cable plugged in (also check your settings) - no sound = faulty port.

mrmobileperformance

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

It's a run-of-the-mill 3.5 mm headphone jack. I have plugged at least three different sets of earphones into my X3 without so much as hint of a problem.

Sent from mTalk

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
1) do you have a case on your phone?
If so remove it as sometimes it prevents the headphones making a complete connection as some headphones top lip is a few mm to wide for some cases.

Can confirm that can affect the headphone jack i.e. the Rugged case.

ShentMeister

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi all... new phone arrived today and I updated the firmware straight away then drilled a hole in the case for my headphones and.... :shocked:

Seriously, all my headphones work with this one, so the first must have been faulty. This ones a keeper, methinks! Thanks for the support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon