HP Elite X3 deceives announcements and expectations

redeyes717

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Dear HP...
I decided to spread my voice out loud at this point and hope many other will do the same.

I gave HP full trust in purchasing at full price, like other did here, this X3 phone that was announced as a flagship for WM business users.
unfortunately HP didn't attend to our expectations.
as an early owner of this HP Elite X3 and owner of an Lumia 950XL at same time I'm able to do fast comparison between the devices:

1. web whatsapp issue QR Code reading: as other said it is completely unacceptable that HP didn't fix this issue as many business users make large use of the web whatsapp platform for their business (HP.. believe it or not!);

2. Snapdragon 820 optimization is nowhere: my Lumia 950XL SnapDragon 810 has, at least, twice the speed in every common tasks compared to the Elite X3

3. several camera issues

4. fingerprint sensor issues.

this message will spread over most WM/Smartphones Forums:

- MSPU

- WindowsCentral.com

- HP Forum, of course

- XDA

- WBI

and many other.

Last edited:

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
A little histrionic for my taste, but not inaccurate. As stated above though, most of that has been resolved (or will be soon).

If you don't like it though, return it. And if you didn't know that it wasn't working for you within the 30 day return window (if you're outside of that by this point), that's not really HP's fault.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know, OP - There's a thread where a bunch of people have already posted reviews. Some of these came before the firmware updates which fixed many of the problems you've mentioned. And the vast majority of people seem to have a favorable opinion of the device. Just something to keep in mind as you attempt to gather support for your condemnation of HP.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp-elite-x3/437075-[real-users]-my-hp-elite-x3-review.html

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Odd - I have been using my 950xl on occasion, as i like to keep up wiht the latest Insider builds. I find it marginally slower - not faster - than the X3. Yes, the camera is stellar compared to the X3, but not so much that I will go back.

The X3 has the right screen size and great clarity. Not sure what Web Whatsapp is or why one would want ot use it. I try to stay away from Apps. I have had issues with many apps ever since my HTC Espresso, which wasn't much better in my Note 2.

redeyes717

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
the device came out to the market at early development stage.
only one firmware update in 30 days. second one is rolling out today (Oct 24th).
as a manufacturer I can tell you endusers don't like to be 'beta tester' with no advice.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure you have been a smart phone user very long. Every new techy device I have seen in the past 20 years or so came out too soon. Patience with this beast. It is the start of something really big in the Windows world.

redeyes717

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
from HTC-G1 in 1997.
but android was/is open to adb tweaking since first versions and community (included myself) was able to fix wthat was initially not optimized.
WM is not the case (yes we can interop unlock somehow..)
anyhow, all involved HW for the X3 is not that new or unexplored. and WM-10 works well on other devices.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
anyhow, all involved HW for the X3 is not that new or unexplored. and WM-10 works well on other devices.

Elite x3 is the first W10M with Snapdragon 820. Last I checked, swapping out chipsets is not a trivial change.

Additionally, it's the first W10M device from HP and it shipped with considerably fewer bugs and issues then when Microsoft shipped the 950 and XL. With no carriers involved firmware updates at least come on a schedule.

Finally, "WM-10 works well on other devices" is not an ATB factual statement as you still find plenty (plenty!) of people complaining here and on reddit about their 650, 950, XL, or any other hardware running W10M, in fact, your statement made me chuckle TBH.

The Elite x3 shipped unusually early in some areas and the reason for that is likely internal miscommunication. Regardless, the company is moving very fast on improving this phone and these last two firmware updates demonstrated that.

Personally, I think there are a lot of people here looking for and expecting (maybe even rooting) for HP to drop the ball on this for whatever reason instead of supporting one of the few companies who have invested a lot into the platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss