HP Elite x3 - SD Card disconnecting?

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: SD Card disconnecting?

Had this problem with error message too since creators update. Rebooted phone 2 or 3 times after creators update the next day. Only way to access ssd spreadsheets and apps. Did web research on baconit/reddit and found suggestion to turn off NFC and load apps to device not ssd. Did both no problems since, Then reset load apps back to ssd, but left NFC off as I don't use it. Still have not had ssd problems.

i'll give this NFC trick a shot. If you happen to have a ticket opened with HP, i'd inform them of it.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Latest update from support:
"A captured unit was sent to R&D with repro steps on the SD card disconnection issue to work on root cause analysis. Our software team is also working with Microsoft as we have had an increase in reports of SD card disconnection after RS2 install. I should know more later this week. The LT (v3) trays are resolving majority of the disconnection issues, so it appears the remaining issues may be related to a Microsoft bug. We sent the captured phone in to test and make sure no additional issues with the hardware were found."

emmeborn

Elite x3 & Lumia 950XL Champion
May 27, 2013
Visit site
I will try to get a bigger SD card (using a 64GB now) and see if I start to get disconnection. Have not had one issue for a very long time now. So lets get some! :wink:

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
So I have the third tray now. I haven't had an issue in at least over a day. However, coming back to this forum, I recall now that I also turned off NFC. So I'm not sure if its the tray or the NFC setting. I'm going to turn NFC back on and see if it happens (at least a couple days or until the error occurs). Then turn it back off and see if it ever happens again.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I got so many sd card issues after creators I went to msft and got replacement phone. Still had issues then got tray #3 . so far only one episode.
NFC off.

Hope this is it!!

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Is there a way to tell which one is this "third" tray is? Are there markings on it that is different from the other trays?

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure its a combination of hardware and software. Story I heard from a friend at Microsoft is its definitely a hardware software combination. A new tray, and rs3 should see very few if any issues. Apparently the issue is with the piece of hardware that controls the power management. Any power change state could disconnect the card. Apparently Microsoft does not own that controller or its software but built a fallback into rs3.

That said, I heard this at least 3rd or 4th hand. How true it is... I've no idea. Bottom line, I really have no need for an SD card. But, a device that has an issue like this.. Just ests at me, and I consider it defective. Silly me... But.. Good money deserves a complete product. I'm struggling with an iPhone 7 until this is worked out.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure its a combination of hardware and software. Story I heard from a friend at Microsoft is its definitely a hardware software combination. A new tray, and rs3 should see very few if any issues. Apparently the issue is with the piece of hardware that controls the power management. Any power change state could disconnect the card. Apparently Microsoft does not own that controller or its software but built a fallback into rs3.

That said, I heard this at least 3rd or 4th hand. How true it is... I've no idea. Bottom line, I really have no need for an SD card. But, a device that has an issue like this.. Just ests at me, and I consider it defective. Silly me... But.. Good money deserves a complete product. I'm struggling with an iPhone 7 until this is worked out.

This is what I'm being told as well. The v3 tray fixed most problems. Not mine unfortunately. I need to wait for a patch from Microsoft.

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I would not count on a patch. From my hand me down story, the binary work around was offered to HP. My impression was it was not accepted. Supposedly the binary change is being discussed with the hardware owner, Qualcom I believe. Again...a grain of salt...3rd, 4th, even 5th hand story.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Latest update from HP support:
"I got word this morning that the ODM found no issues with the hardware of the captured unit, but did find an issue with RS2 causing a disconnection of the SD card. Since the issue was confirmed, Microsoft will need to work on a fix for the bug. Out next step is to keep pressure on Microsoft to get a patch out as soon as possible for the issue once they determine what the cause is."

tserv95

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I just got the HP Elite X3 and notice my micro sd card keeps ejecting too at random times. Will I need to get the latest tray from HP or should I just hold out until Microsoft releases an update? I'm using a 256GB Sandisk.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got the HP Elite X3 and notice my micro sd card keeps ejecting too at random times. Will I need to get the latest tray from HP or should I just hold out until Microsoft releases an update? I'm using a 256GB Sandisk.

I would contact HP. You should get the v3 tray.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
So, around May 8th, I turned off NFC. May 10th, I installed the v3 tray. May 11th, I turned NFC back on to see if the tray alone would be enough to fix the problem. A couple hours later, i got the disconnect. So I turned NFC back to off on the evening of May 11th. It's not May 15th and I've yet to experience the disconnect since the 11th. I believe this is the longest streak that I've had. While I'll suggest to everyone to get v3 of the tray simply because they must have improved *something*, so might as well get it. However, it really appears the "turning NFC off" is the best fix. Let me know if this works for anyone else, or more importantly, if it *fails* to work for anyone else.

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the v2 tray, and turned off NFC about 5 days ago. I have not had an SD card disconnect since then. Prior to that, I was experiencing it multiple times a day after the Creators Update. Before the Creators Update, I would experience it maybe once a day, or every other day or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte