New x3 Owner, a few questions

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I've had mine for less than a week, no reboots and I'm using a SanDisk 128GB SD card myself, but the device hasn't really been my daily driver yet. I was an early adopter of the 950XL and feel like the device isn't a great step up, especially with the WM ecosystem in its current state. That's why I am questioning keeping it or not myself...

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by George Ponder
Originally Posted by Jed Cutler
Thanks. My fear is the random reboots. Experienced this with my 950XL before using a 128GB Sandisk card. And I still read about it now

If it makes you feel any better, I've had the Elite x3 just shy of two weeks and only experienced one spontaneous reboot.

It was during a from download from the Store the other day when Microsoft's online services went wonky. Could have been the device, could have been something related to the online issues.

How would you rate battery life so far in normal use? Easily getting through a day? I am voice call and text heavy for the most part. Most of my data use is via running the mobile hotspot, when I have it plugged into a portable battery pack.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by George Ponder
Originally Posted by Jed Cutler
Thanks. My fear is the random reboots. Experienced this with my 950XL before using a 128GB Sandisk card. And I still read about it now

If it makes you feel any better, I've had the Elite x3 just shy of two weeks and only experienced one spontaneous reboot.

It was during a from download from the Store the other day when Microsoft's online services went wonky. Could have been the device, could have been something related to the online issues.

How would you rate battery life so far? I mostly use voice calls and text messages throughout the day, but I do have a fair amount of mobile hotspot use, so just trying to see how performance has been for you so far.

I normally don't have an issue getting through a whole day on any device, although on the Lumia 950 it was sometimes a little close. The only device I've been able to drain almost everyday in less than a full days work is the Samsung Galaxy S7.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
How would you rate battery life so far? I mostly use voice calls and text messages throughout the day, but I do have a fair amount of mobile hotspot use, so just trying to see how performance has been for you so far.

I normally don't have an issue getting through a whole day on any device, although on the Lumia 950 it was sometimes a little close. The only device I've been able to drain almost everyday in less than a full days work is the Samsung Galaxy S7.

Hard for me to say. I spend a bit of time in the car and use a TYTL Qi charging cradle to keep the battery fresh. However, even on days when I'm not in the car a lot, I cannot remember a time when the 950 XL's battery did not last through the day.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Well, I ended up returning my X3. It was a tough call to make because it is a very powerful device, just with its own share of shortcomings. The Lumia 950XL is back to being my go-to Windows phone when want to toss a SIM in one.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I ended up returning my X3. It was a tough call to make because it is a very powerful device, just with its own share of shortcomings. The Lumia 950XL is back to being my go-to Windows phone when want to toss a SIM in one.

As long as you have what works best for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site

Probably going to do the same this week. Just need to take a day and not worry with the decision, then sit down and think it through.

I really like the x3 and it gets a lot right. It's just missing a few features that I have grown accustomed to with the 950XL. If the 950XL ever bites the dust, I'll likely make the move to HP. But with the 950XL still alive and kicking, the choice is less clear-cut.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Probably going to do the same this week. Just need to take a day and not worry with the decision, then sit down and think it through.

I really like the x3 and it gets a lot right. It's just missing a few features that I have grown accustomed to with the 950XL. If the 950XL ever bites the dust, I'll likely make the move to HP. But with the 950XL still alive and kicking, the choice is less clear-cut.

This is the first time I have ever returned a device. It was just hard for me to justify the expense with the relatively small improvements. At the end of the day I think the issues left are mostly software based no matter what device we are on.

I already have a spare battery for the 950XL so I can keep it ticking for a long time still if I want to.

emmeborn

Elite x3 & Lumia 950XL Champion
May 27, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on the X3 is much better then on my 950 XL. I have plenty of battery left at night in my X3 but almost no left in the 950 XL. So with the 950 XL a spare battery is definetly needed to get through a busy day without charging.
I am sticking with my X3, feels so much better in build quality, but absolutely keeping my 950 XL alive for when I know I will be taking a lot of pictures, that camera is without compare the best.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I am back on my BlackBerry DTEK60 for now. I may order an LG V20 on sale since my carrier has it on sale now.

But I get aggravated with Android. Right now I am dealing with the phone staying awake at all times, even with screen off. I have uninstalled recent apps but issue persists. Maybe I'll be back sooner than than I expected. Haha.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
When two SIMs are inserted, does the non-active data SIM have access to voice and text over 3G?

Yes, that works fine. My 2nd SIM is AT&T.

JunPBwx.jpg

For those of you on T-Mobile primarily, I'm guessing that Band 12 is not usable as the device will not use VoLTE? Or has anyone confirmed Band 12 to be working?

Never even tried. My personal SIM (SIM 1) is with T-Mobile and I've not seen any option for VoLTE.

Does visual voicemail work on both SIMs?QUOTE=mryan55;3640117]When two SIMs are inserted, does the non-active data SIM have access to voice and text over 3G?

Yes, that works fine. My 2nd SIM is AT&T.

JunPBwx.jpg

For those of you on T-Mobile primarily, I'm guessing that Band 12 is not usable as the device will not use VoLTE? Or has anyone confirmed Band 12 to be working?

Never even tried. My personal SIM (SIM 1) is with T-Mobile and I've not seen any option for VoLTE.

Does visual voicemail work on both SIMs?

Yes. No issues. Enjoy the device, stay out of the insider builds for now, and update the firmware.

Yes. No issues. Enjoy the device, stay out of the insider builds for now, and update the firmware.

q21701

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As far as a holster, I'd strongly recommend the Nite Ize XL horizontal holster. Some Home Depot stores carry them ins stock and it accomodates the x3 with ease. You can always order them from Amazon too. The one Home Depot carries is rugged and available in black and cammo. There is a leather version available from Amazon, as well as a vertical XL holster.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
As far as a holster, I'd strongly recommend the Nite Ize XL horizontal holster. Some Home Depot stores carry them ins stock and it accomodates the x3 with ease. You can always order them from Amazon too. The one Home Depot carries is rugged and available in black and cammo. There is a leather version available from Amazon, as well as a vertical XL holster.

Awesome, thanks for the holster recommendation. I will check into it... all of my local Home Depot stores stock it so I'll go check it out at some point.

Not that the x3 needs much protection but do you also use the holster with any of the other TPU cases that are out there? Or just keep it naked in the in the holster?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss