Is the HP Spectre x360 one of the best values out there?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Was just reading Daniel's review of the HP Spectre x360. Agree with him on most points, and man, it looks awesome.

Quick question for anyone with the laptop... do you feel you get solid value for your money here? I mean with all the features it packs in, for the price is seems solid to me, but would like to hear from owners here in the community if possible!

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have two friends that have it , they are disappointed that it doesn't have pen support and regret didn't getting the SP 4

cicconej

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum---I have a Surface Pro 3 but am looking forward to using a more traditional laptop again (but without losing the ability to use it like a tablet!). I just ordered the Spectre x360 from HP last week, so I haven't received it yet, but from all the research I've done it does seem to be a great value! I certainly won't miss the lack of pen, since I barely used it with the SP3, but that's not to say it isn't a useful tool for others!

I'll post back more about the x360 when I finally get it in my hands :)

Last edited:

jdotcarter

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Have had SP4, Surface Book, and still have an SP3 alongside this thing. There isn't much to complain about other than the resolution. The screen is still very sharp unless you're directly comparing it to a surface. I did reduce the text to %125.

The x360 flies, the form factor is awesome and I love the keyboard. The track pad can act funny but its still good. Overall, other than the prestige of having a surface, I think this thing is my favorite.

cicconej

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I finally got my x360 last week, and yep, it's pretty awesome :grin:. Windows Hello is a little glitchy at times, but that's my only complaint so far!

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Have had SP4, Surface Book, and still have an SP3 alongside this thing. There isn't much to complain about other than the resolution. The screen is still very sharp unless you're directly comparing it to a surface. I did reduce the text to %125.

The x360 flies, the form factor is awesome and I love the keyboard. The track pad can act funny but its still good. Overall, other than the prestige of having a surface, I think this thing is my favorite.

If I went this route, I'd be comparing to an SP2. Your comment of your only complaint being the resolution has my interest piqued. What of the resolution do you find lacking in this sized machine? I intend to run this with an external monitor when stuck at my desk.

I haven't ruled out going with a 15" machine (likely XPS) but the light weight, really nice spec, plus all day battery life is really compelling.

jdotcarter

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
If I went this route, I'd be comparing to an SP2. Your comment of your only complaint being the resolution has my interest piqued. What of the resolution do you find lacking in this sized machine? I intend to run this with an external monitor when stuck at my desk.

I haven't ruled out going with a 15" machine (likely XPS) but the light weight, really nice spec, plus all day battery life is really compelling.

It's a much lower PPi than the Surface line at 1080p. And windows just doesn't always look as crisp. You can see pixelated edged and things like that. The track pad is also far worse than the precision track pads on the SP4 keyboard or the Surface Book. It's still an extremely nice laptop. I'd still say for the value its tough to beat. I would go with the darker color. As some reviews point out, the silver keys get washed out and sometimes the backlight actiallg makes it harder to see the letter.

MikeyBugs95

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I just got the 15" x360 last week or two weeks ago and so far I'm loving this machine. I personally wouldn't mind if the screen wasn't 4K but it's nice to have nonetheless. I find that I can only 'right-click' in the very bottom right corner of the trackpad. Click anywhere else and it's a left click. This is annoying but it's something I just have to get used to. The computer is pretty good at gaming and CAD surprisingly.

Nightowl67

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I just got the 15" x360 last week or two weeks ago and so far I'm loving this machine. I personally wouldn't mind if the screen wasn't 4K but it's nice to have nonetheless. I find that I can only 'right-click' in the very bottom right corner of the trackpad. Click anywhere else and it's a left click. This is annoying but it's something I just have to get used to. The computer is pretty good at gaming and CAD surprisingly.

I bought a Spectre x360 15" 2 weeks ago and I love everything except the noisy space bar. Everything else is great.

I'd like to suggest to just tapping the trackpad with your fingers instead of pressing on it to get it to click. If you tap on it with one finger twice, it will select and you can actually drag something. If you tap on it once with 2 fingers it will right click. No need to click the track pad at all. I either tap once or twice with one finger or 2 fingers for all my computing needs.

MikeyBugs95

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I've done that a few times but I'm coming from a laptop that didn't have this feature (as far as I know; I haven't used track pads much because I'm mostly a wireless mouse user). So it's mostly just force of habit.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been using an x360 15 for a couple of months now, and it's my favorite device for watching 4K TV/movies. Flip it to presentation/media mode, put in some headphones, open Netflix in Edge, and enjoy. Incredibly sharp with good colors, just a great experience.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I've been using an x360 15 for a couple of months now, and it's my favorite device for watching 4K TV/movies. Flip it to presentation/media mode, put in some headphones, open Netflix in Edge, and enjoy. Incredibly sharp with good colors, just a great experience.

I agree. Although mine is the older 13" version but with an OLED 1440p screen. Amazing for movies and fantastic for everything else. I think it's the best all around multi use ultrabook.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
My x360 from 2015 has been the worst tech buy I have ever made. I sent it twice during its guarantee support period to have its trackpad fixed. When the guarantee finished, I detected that it is impossible to use the HDMI port without having the PC freezing, and after two years, it stopped charging. This last problem is a well known issue of the x360, and it is a manufacture defect.

I contacted the support of HP in Germany, and they want me to pay 400 euros to solve the problem, because it is a "normal failure" of the equipment.

Seriusly, stay away from the x360 from the year 2015. I don't know if current models are better, but I really hate HP now. :angry:

BURKETWEET

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
I've had my 15" x360 for a week. I really don't have any complaints at this point. LOVE the keyboard...one of the best I've ever used. The screen is amazing, especially for consuming content in the 4k space. The build quality is outstanding. For my use (academic / research), it operates flawlessly with absolutely zero lag.

I'm a long-time mac user coming back to Windows and I have no regrets with this purchase. Time will tell.

reggc6

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Just got the new 15 x360 with 8th Gen 7 intel. I've always used mid range or low end laptops, so not sure how valuable my opinion is on this. But so far my view, this thing is amazing. it will run any game. Does get a warm. The Internet speed is like nothing I've ever used. so far I love it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss