HP7 Stream arrived today!

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the terminology might be different in other countries; in the US, the free data is provided by T-Mobile. I read another comment from the UK referring to an HP data pass, which I assume is what it is called there. From what I understand the US version is not locked to T-Mobile, but of course if you want the free 200mb you'd need to use t mobile to get it. The US version (maybe others too) is limited to hspa+. It doesn't have LTE.
Bottom line is check the local details instead of relying on posts that may refer to a different version.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i bought a usb keyboard and a OTG splitter... sadly i got the wrong one that wont charge the tablet at the same time.

anyone have luck finding a bluetooth keyboard? i am beginning to think that it would be a better solution than gettign another splitter... been looking at this one in particular since its avaliable now.... Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT Universal 7-8 Inch Tablet Portfolio Leather Case W/ Detachable Bluetooth Keyboard for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 / Tab 2 7.0 / Tab 3 7.0 / Tab 4 7.0 / Tab 3 Lite 7 / Tab 3 8.0 / Tab 4 8.0 / Tab Pro 8.4 / Tab S 8.4 / Acer A1-810 /

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
i bought a usb keyboard and a OTG splitter... sadly i got the wrong one that wont charge the tablet at the same time.

anyone have luck finding a bluetooth keyboard? i am beginning to think that it would be a better solution than getting another splitter...

I bought this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AMXEXYO...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2892004

So far it has been really nice. I got the rechargeable one but you can also get one with regular batteries. It's a good size because it's small but not so small. It easily fits in the front pocket of my 10" tablet bag. It has paired easily with the tablet.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Ended up returning the HP stream 8. Told a couple of employees at the MS store that one reason was that the app store was disappointing, and each of them kind of agreed and said they hoped that Windows 10 would help.
I think I am going to use that money to buy an SSD for my aging ThinkPad. Might even install windows 8.1 on it, so I guess MS will still get my money 

How do you run your ThinkPad with such a "disappointing" lack of apps? You should probably get rid of that as well.

The lack of apps argument for a device that runs full Windows boggles my mind. Apple has turned us all into a bunch of retards.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Infiland case and BT keyboard from Amazon (I think that's the name, don't have it with me). Price was right at $30 shipped and included an OTG usb cable/adapter as well. Case is well made, black (p)leather. The keyboard is a chicklet type but typing on it isn't bad. The case and keyboard are pretty thick, though. I decided to not carry it everyday and just went back to the stock HP cover. Since the Stream is already pretty chunky, the case and keyboard make it into a little brick. If I was going to meetings where I wanted a laptop, I'd be tempted to carry this instead as I can do pretty much everything with it that I do with a laptop in a meeting scenario.

I'll post some pictures/review of the case and keyboard soon. I think it's worth the little money spent.

Last edited:

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well it has been a week since I have been using it. Hooked to Wi-Fi or hotspot from my phone. Programmed a couple of radios with it, updated firmware on them as I would do with my PC but didn't have to pull them out of my vehicle. Yes I am pleased with this little tablet. If you are wondering why I need to program radios with a computer, I'm a amateur radio operator as in my nick is my call sign.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
How do you run your ThinkPad with such a "disappointing" lack of apps? You should probably get rid of that as well.

The lack of apps argument for a device that runs full Windows boggles my mind. Apple has turned us all into a bunch of retards.

Totally unnecessary.

But, I'll respond anyway. The Stream 8 was my first experience with Windows 8. I've got a Windows Phone (Lumia 521) and I've been satisfied with it, so I thought I'd give the Stream 8 a try. I assumed that most or all of the apps that are Windows Phone would also be available in the Windows app store; this assumption proved to be wrong-- there are several apps that I've grown accustomed to using on WP, like Pandora and USAA Bank, that aren't available for Windows. The USAA bank app has a mobile check depositing feature, which is not available on their website at all---- this is the power of apps... they can use features of the mobile devices, like cameras, touch, location services, etc. to do things that are not possible on the web or desktop.
Apps are the better experience on a small tablet, period.

Incidentally, I actually ended up re-buying the Stream 8, this time from Amazon during the $139 lightning deal. I've been playing with it more, and have fully set it up with Office, etc. I still stand by my opinion about the app situation, but I'm liking the device overall. It's a good happy medium between the phone and the laptop, with features of both.

FuzzyLogician

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
...this is the power of apps... they can use features of the mobile devices, like cameras, touch, location services, etc. to do things that are not possible on the web or desktop.
Apps are the better experience on a small tablet, period.

Exactly. Tablets need tablet oriented apps. Using web versions or desktop versions is not sufficient. Have you tried using Pandora through metro IE? Oops... sound's off when you leave the app! It's pretty sad. Websites often require mouse hovering for menus. Doesn't work so well with your finger! ��

It would be a miracle if WP apps work in Win10 with any extra work from developers.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
im debating swapping mine for a different one due to some issues.. but would I have to send it in to HP? The light bleed is pretty major but I dont let it bother me, but I have noticed as a switch apps sometimes the screen dims and brightens? normal behavior? other than that it is awesome and I love the new keyboard I got. I bought it from the Microsoft store, so I am hoping I can go back there if need be.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Got the boy's one in before xmas so I can set it up. With Micosoft Family Safety locking it down, some games, Netflix and local movies. For 99 bucks you can't beat it.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
im debating swapping mine for a different one due to some issues.. but would I have to send it in to HP? The light bleed is pretty major but I dont let it bother me, but I have noticed as a switch apps sometimes the screen dims and brightens? normal behavior? other than that it is awesome and I love the new keyboard I got. I bought it from the Microsoft store, so I am hoping I can go back there if need be.

Unfortunately you'll have to go through HP. I bought mine from the MS Store, and when going through the replacement process, I was told to go through HP. After about an hour on the phone with HP, going through the typical myriad of voice prompts and options, they initiated the replacement. It was a pain in the ****, but that's what you'll probably have to do...

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Just a word of advice on screen protectors for the Stream 7 (I tried to post my review on the Microsoft store site but they said it's unacceptable, not sure why) - I highly recommend avoiding the the HP screen protector. It gave me nothing but trouble, so was a waste of $10. I may try one from Amazon, or just not worry about using one.

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
@K72, Some of them have an issue with the screens on the edge near the windows logo key. The edge of the screen, where it meets the bezel should be fully dark. On a lot of them it is not as there is some sort of light leak occurring. Mine has a little, but not enough to bother me. I'm heading other issues though with Bluetooth that I'm about to open up a new thread on.

Cheers,

DavidM

asikis

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I have order the Stream 7 and I am expecting to receive it in about a week.
Can an owner comment how stream 7 is handling HD movies playback via microSD or USB stick? Can it play HD movies of 6 to 8 GB of size with VLC or any other player?

Jiffybag

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I have order the Stream 7 and I am expecting to receive it in about a week.
Can an owner comment how stream 7 is handling HD movies playback via microSD or USB stick? Can it play HD movies of 6 to 8 GB of size with VLC or any other player?

Seems fine playing MKVs on mine

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

wakuwaku848

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I got my OTG USB cable today. It works like a charm on Stream 7.
The first thing I tried is to connect my X-Rite i1Display Pro.
Works the same as if plugging device to regular USB.

Ok here's the stuff that'll bring the boys to the yard.
I calibrate the Stream 7 screen and here are the profile for people to use:
1drv.ms/1zINllF add http, I can't post link, This is one drive link)

Stream7_d55_sRGB_native = D55 white point, sRGB gamma (will make your screen yellow)
Stream7_d65_2.2_native = D65 white point, 2.2 gamma (slightly deeper dark gamma)
Stream7_d65_sRGB_native = D65 white point, sRGB gamma (USE THIS, this is Standards for a lot of things)
Stream7_d75_sRGB_native = D75 white point, sRGB gamma (will make you screen bluish white)
*native = native brightness and contrast ratio (calibrated at 50% brightness w/ White LED backlight settings)
Copy the profile(s) you want to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

To use it:
1. Search "Color Management"
2. goto Advanced tab > Change system defaults...
3. Then goto advanced > [V] Use Windows display calibration.
4. Click close (the system defaults window).
5. Goto Devices tab, Click Add...
6. Add profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ( this is equivalent to no color management)
7. Add profile: Stream7_d65_sRGB_native (or whichever profile you prefer)
8. Click on the profile you want to use and click "Set as Default Profile"
9. toggle between that and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to see before n after.
10. Then proceed to sing "My tablet is better than android/ios, damn right it's better than android/ios"

This profile fix 2 issues:
1. Gamma/Contrast issue in HP Stream default profile. (which makes highlight blown and shadow burnt).
2. Calibrate to proper white point and color accuracy.

To my surprise, Stream7 is very close to SP2 gamut coverage and in fact exceed the green gamut of SP2.
View attachment 88620
For obvious reason, SP2 wins in contrast ratio, gradation completeness, upper white and lower black range coverage.
But for non technical people and NORMAL photo viewing. I'm super impressed by the result of the calibration.

Photos viewed in Stream7 is VERY VERY close to Photo viewed in SP2 (Surface Pro 2).
So there you have it. For people that are skeptical about Stream 7 screen, the answer is DON'T.
Enjoy.

Hi everyone. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but does anyone still have these color profiles? If you do, I hope you could reupload them. Many thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99