Cases for my Stream 7

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
When I bought my Stream 7, I also picked up the HP flip/hard cover (HP Spares# 790144-101, HP Component # 789865-101). The case fits snugly and the hard cover provides nice protection for the screen. It's made of some sort of hard/rigid plastic with a matte finish on the outside, and felt-like fabric on the inside. It's segmented in two place on the cover to allow it to form a wedge and hold the tablet in landscape position for reading. There are magnets in the sections that hold it into a wedge. It doesn't have a portrait position. The back of the case has a cutout for the camera, though I've never actually used that camera. The Stream is held in place by four tabs, one at each corner. The top, bottom and sides are open (the left side is open once the cover is open), so all ports and buttons are easily accessible. Overall, it's a great case and adds very little to the Stream in terms of size or weight.
15413579163_e9344b5ad4_k.jpg16033217515_aa78dc85bb_k.jpg15847168879_7ec76852a3_k.jpg16032525322_b341e22fae_k.jpg16031256141_235df6bf63_k.jpg

I also bought from Amazon the Infiland case with bluetooth keyboard (with a micro/USB cable for charging the keyboard, and a bonus OTG USB cable). The case is a leather(?) case on the outside, with a felt-like interior. The Stream fits into a leather pocket secured with velcro. There are cutouts on the back of the case for your camera, and around the edges for the buttons and ports. The flap has an elastic band to either hold the case closed, or hold the BT keyboard in the case.

Pairing of the keyboard was simple and works pretty well. Obviously it's a small keyboard with chicklet keys, but it is still much easier to use than the on-screen keyboards. For meetings where you need to type some notes, or write a few long-ish emails on the road, the keyboard is fine. Beyond that, and you're probably going to be using a laptop anyway.

Once the case and keyboard are folded up for transport, you're left with a thick brick. Not that heavy, but certainly bulky. The footprint doesn't change that much, but now the Stream doesn't fit in a jacket pocket, but rather a briefcase or backpack. Still lighter/smaller than most laptops, but not as portable as just the Stream itself. Because of the size/thickness, I now use the HP case everyday, and will use the Infiland case when I know I'll use the keyboard (being away from my computer most of the day).

The OTG cable is a nice touch and works fine.

Overall, the case seems well made, and the ~$30 paid is well worth it, even though I will only use it infrequently.
15413600643_77b0b7f257_k.jpg15847193269_706a4c26b0_k.jpg15413594843_c421062741_k.jpg16032546832_e5db0ffa04_k.jpg15845970270_d4451aed72_k.jpg16032540342_6caed5bfa7_k.jpg16033222505_6f86408acb_k.jpg

RMansfield

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I got the black HP case with mine, and I've been using an iWerkz foldable keyboard with it. Both fit in the side pockets of my cargo pants.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the pics and review! I have been debating about a case for a few weeks. I like the HP case, but was hopeful as I started to read your review on the one with the keyboard. I'd want to go that route because I'll be using my Stream mostly for work. I might just have to check that one out anyway....

Blown 89

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
HP has an official bluetooth keyboard/case combo. The only downside is it's $80 but it looks to eliminate some of the bulk of the cases that hold the tablet with leather.

RMansfield

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Link for the official HP one? cause that was be nice.
Found it, it is a universal, but looks nice:

Assuming that's a 7 in that case, it looks dwarfed. If the case also works with the Stream 8, the Stream 7 is going to be a less than perfect fit.

If the Stream 7 takes off, perhaps there will be lots of different case and keyboard solutions. When I bought my 7 at our local Microsoft Popup, they had a box of them on the front counter--like an impulse item. I noticed the same box filled with many Stream 7s today--hopefully it's not the same box full from two weeks ago :)

haryo

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Do the magnets also make the Stream 7 go into sleep mode for you when the case is closed? I have the HP case and it doesn't, but I see people in reviews of the HP case saying it does?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realize the keyboard could be taken out of the case. That's nice. I ended up buying the regular case and a separate keyboard, but that looks like a good setup.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Do the magnets also make the Stream 7 go into sleep mode for you when the case is closed? I have the HP case and it doesn't, but I see people in reviews of the HP case saying it does?

Mine doesn't but I figure it should. I wonder if there's a setting somewhere.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
case with keyboard, how does it keep the screen up?
Sorry, just saw this.

The keyboard isn't attached so I just slide the keyboard forward (actually put it half on the case and it gives me a nice tilt). Then the case has a fold in the middle of the back that allows the Stream to stand up like a tent. I'll try to post a picture sometime.

prsbirds

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Infiland case with keyboard... Am having a terrible time getting it to connect! I have charged it up overnight, and just cannot get the HP to find the keyboard, and if it does, it usually loses the connection before prompting me to enter the passcode.

Any suggestions? I don't think it's the HP, as it is picking up a coworker's iMac from over 100 feet away, and through a floor of the office and several walls.

I'm thinking about writing Amazon and seeing about getting a replacement, as I think it is defective.

pezhedz

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the same case and it sometimes loses connectivity, but no more than a similar case I had with my 1st Gen iPad. I'd definitely look into getting a replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3