OTG Cable charging

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it'll work with the Stream, but Dell has a cable that will do that for its Venue 8 Pro tablet.

Ceri Jones1

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if it'll work with the Stream, but Dell has a cable that will do that for its Venue 8 Pro tablet.

checked the manufacturers website and the stream 7 is supported (stream 8 is untested).

ive ordered one so hopefully be here in a few days so ill give it a go and report back, if it doesnt work then back it goes.

Ceri Jones1

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
So the Plugable Pro8 has arrived, Easy to setup, come with all the necessary cables and Display adapters (dvi plug on unit, adapter for VGA and HDMI).

Downloaded the drivers from the plugable website, setup the unit and then plugged in the Stream, drivers loaded and screen flashed a few times as the display drivers sorted themselves out. After a few seconds the Battery icon changed to a charging one and maintained charge at 100%. Plugged in my 2Tb Hard Drive (Stream would power this via OTG but drained the battery) and windows opened the explorer window for the hard drive, played a movie off the drive with no issues, moved files from my phone to the drive with no lag or errors.

Tested the display function using a Samsung HD TV, slight bit of lag running at HDMI 1080P (not got a cable to test that the VGA connection), the Pro8 relies on graphics rendering from the connected device so the 1Gb of RAM makes the display lag slightly, so watching HD movies might make the device slow right down and lag (VGA may be better).

Overall a highly recommended purchase, also means that now i can use my Itunes as all my music is stored on an external drive, the limitations of not being able to charge with basic OTG meant that before even with a hub it took too long to populate Itunes before the battery ran out, but now those issues are gone. So if anyone wants there Stream7 to have desktop type functionality then this is well worth the money.

Ceri Jones1

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Update:

Tested out the VGA today and once the screen sets up your good to go. My TV set itself up to run vga as 1920x1080 but I dropped it down to run at 1280x960 as a way of saving some graphics power, decided to test it running a HD movie and glad to say it ran with no issues or frame lagging.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That little dock seems very cool, but has anyone found a cheaper, simpler option? Even just to have a free USB port while charging would be enough. Is there anything like that available?

Ceri Jones1

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Not without modifications to a cable.

There do seem to be Y cables available for Otg/usb charging but not sure if the Stream will support them.

This unit was useful for me as I needed the extra Usb ports anyway. Especially as Apple still have not managed to sort out issues with Wifi sync (thankfully only own 1 apple device).

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I found a cheaper way to charge and sync the Stream 7 at the same time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpcrkqjZfl8

This worked for me. It doesn't show charging but it does slowly charge, or at least maintains a charge. I plugged the data end into the Plugable 4 Port Hub and it works great. Then I use the built-in Miracast to sent it to my TV.

josecmh

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have received today this cable:

UL8th2xXkpcXXagOFbXC.jpg
And it works!!! (in the number 2 position)

I can't write links, but I bought this cable in Aliexpress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3