MicroUSB to HDMI Cable?

panamakevin

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to see if anyone has found and successfully used a microusb to hdmi cable on the Stream 7? I have seen several online but before ordering, i wanted to make sure it has been tested before...

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Buy Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter - Microsoft Store

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/project-wireless-screen-miracast

This might be what Eddie is suggesting. Some displays might already have this technology built-in already. It uses something called Miracast-- its a standard that some Windows and Android devices support (notably not Apple, which has its own AirPlay). Intel originally branded it "Wi-Di", I think, though I haven't really seen that term used much lately. Basically it sends whatever is on the screen on the device wirelessly to the display using wi-fi.
In any case, the important point is that the HP Stream 7 and 8 support Miracast!

The particular adapter that I linked to above looks like it can be powered by a USB port on the display/TV, which is kind of nice.

Curious what you end up putting together and how well it work! Good luck!

Last edited:

untitled

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've used the Stream 7 with the Wireless Display Adaptor that slipslip linked to, it's quite nice. I wouldn't use it for gaming because there's noticeable latency, but it's quite good for Netflix, Hulu, etc.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So far no simple and cheap solution.

No, no cheap solution, but the Wireless Display Adapter works well across many devices, so its a shared cost. We've used it a couple times, and I'm on the fence about keeping it.

I think the Plugable Pro8 provides more value for similar money. We have 3 Stream 7's now, at $79 they're too good to pass on, and I'm planning on putting together a walk up kiosk at the house for the kids and I to use when we need a more robust setup.

chovan

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
No, no cheap solution, but the Wireless Display Adapter works well across many devices, so its a shared cost. We've used it a couple times, and I'm on the fence about keeping it.

I think the Plugable Pro8 provides more value for similar money. We have 3 Stream 7's now, at $79 they're too good to pass on, and I'm planning on putting together a walk up kiosk at the house for the kids and I to use when we need a more robust setup.

I wonder what resolution you get with Plugable Pro8. It's a Micro USB 2.0 on Stream 7 so bandwidth is limited.

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a Miracast Dongle, a Chromecast, an MHL to HDMI cable and whatever the hell the other "standard" for usb to hdmi is... I guess I'll try the latter 2 and see what they have to offer. Also, gonna try it on the Miracast. Somewhat laggy when casting to Chromecast from the Chrome browser on this device. Wonder if it's possible to charge and plug in a usb device while using an MHL usb device.

chovan

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a Miracast Dongle, a Chromecast, an MHL to HDMI cable and whatever the hell the other "standard" for usb to hdmi is... I guess I'll try the latter 2 and see what they have to offer. Also, gonna try it on the Miracast. Somewhat laggy when casting to Chromecast from the Chrome browser on this device. Wonder if it's possible to charge and plug in a usb device while using an MHL usb device.

I wish you can get the MHL cable work, but honestly, the chance of sucess is slim. I've chatted with both HP and MS technical support team tried to find out if Stream 7 supports MHL, neither could not give me a clear information.

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I wish you can get the MHL cable work, but honestly, the chance of sucess is slim. I've chatted with both HP and MS technical support team tried to find out if Stream 7 supports MHL, neither could not give me a clear information.

I tried both MHL and Slimport devices. Neither of them worked. It looks like we don't have a direct, wired video output. I also have one of those devices like the one listed in this thread that allows you to plug into a USB based graphics device for a second screen. Just not the solution I was hoping for unfortunately. However, if I can find a way to charge at the same time that I'm using the DisplayLink device, I think that would be great!

Last edited:

chovan

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for confirming this.

USB 2.0 has limited bandwidth, so it's hard to get 1080P resolution. So far, the only device confirmed that can get this resolution from Stream 7 is Plugable Pro8
0397854260.jpg

I also found this on Aliexpress who claim it can do up to 2048x1152 via USB 2.0.: Wholesale Free/Drop shipping USB 2.0 to DVI/HDMI/VGA(2048x1152)17D1 Graphics Multi Display Adapter Converter External Video Card-in Digital Cables from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It would be great if someone can test it out.

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
There was noticeable lag when I had it at 1080p. It wasn't a deal breaker by any means, but I could tell... especially since my desktop is a Screaming Gaming Rig, so it's hard not to notice when another device doesn't stand up. Still, this little pad is so amazing, I am more than impressed. We just need to do something about the horrid sound quality. Wish there were some tweaks or EQ's that worked well.

VideoGame57

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
USB 2.0 has far more bandwidth than the WiFi adapter (which is internally on USB 2.0 anyway).
USB 2.0 is a solid 480 megabits per second whereas I have a hard time getting more than 72 megabits per second over WiFi with a direct path to the router 10 metres away.

I can read and write to my flash drive at 25 megabytes per second, or 200 megabits per second: more than twice as fast as the WiFi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss