Interesting accessories for Stream 7.

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the Dell dongle in my pocket right now, I'm going to test it tonight when I get home. I'll let you guys know what the results are tomorrow afternoon.

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
The dongle works fine to charge and use USB devices. I cannot tell for sure, but it does seem to charge much slower when I have 4 devices plugged into a USB powered hub. When I tested my AC powered USB hub, it seemed to charge at a normal rate (probably because it wasn't relying on the USB port for power). I plugged in this then plugged in a DisplayPort device for a second screen, which had it's own hub built in for mouse, keyboard and external drive. This basically turned my tablet into a full workstation. This little device is AMAZING!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So, you're using the Dell USB dongle, then are running a USB powered display, like the 16" AOC display? That's what I'm hoping to do...

keith.valdez

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I am using the Dell dongle with a Targus Universal USB 3.0 SV Docking Station Model ACP076US on a ASUS VS278Q-P 27" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor, plus a generic usb gaming mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

RichP1000

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I am using the Dell dongle with a Targus Universal USB 3.0 SV Docking Station Model ACP076US on a ASUS VS278Q-P 27" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor, plus a generic usb gaming mouse and keyboard.

Just curious what you're using to the charge the Stream 7. I have the same dongle, plugged in the HP cable into the micro USB port on the dongle and the other end into the HP charger. It won't charge.

chovan

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Just curious what you're using to the charge the Stream 7. I have the same dongle, plugged in the HP cable into the micro USB port on the dongle and the other end into the HP charger. It won't charge.

Keep an eye on the battery level. When you have data connection, tablet won't show being charged but the battery level will increase slowly. Or you can try to turn off the tablet, you should see the plug symbol on the screen which means it's being charged.

RichP1000

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The battery level is slowly decreasing with the dongle plugged in (also powering a USB sound card) and with the tablet running an app that takes about 10-12% CPU.

I was hoping it would at least trigger the "plugged in" state in Windows so the Stream would run only on AC power, but looks like that dog ain't hunting.

chovan

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The battery level is slowly decreasing with the dongle plugged in (also powering a USB sound card) and with the tablet running an app that takes about 10-12% CPU.

I was hoping it would at least trigger the "plugged in" state in Windows so the Stream would run only on AC power, but looks like that dog ain't hunting.

It depends on what power supply you are using. The tablet needs at least 1A to keep the battery level, more if your screen brightness is high. the dongle itself takes some current, each USB device will take up to 500mA from the PSU. So if you use a 2A power supply, you don't have much left to charge the battery. I use a 4A power supply. I think to trigger "plugged in" you need to cut off the data links (D+ and D-), this dongle should be working: Universal-usb-OTG-Charger-HUB-cable-for-Tablet-PC-thinkpad-8-X98-M80ta-WT-8-Miix2.jpg_140x140.jpg

RichP1000

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I was using the HP charger, but I also tried it with an Anker unit that's rated at 2.4A and it still just trickle charged.

Just tried disabling the "Microsoft AC Adapter" and it changes the status to "plugged in, not charging" so I'm trying that and we'll see what happens

Tried to order the Aliexpress dongle and apparently they can't do business in Washington State for some reason...oh well...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb