Changed my mind, I'm getting an 8S

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The only way I'd go for the Lumia 820 now is if the price difference is negligible. Seriously that 8S -especially the red one- is ridiculously slick looking. Screw the specs, I've got a 8GB micro SD card laying around no prob, the underclocked S4 should give it some nice battery life too. I'm just crossing my fingers -very hard- now that it will be sold in Finland and that HTC has a very competitive price tag on it (which they should considering the rather modest specs).

Oh! almost forgot, GORILLA GLASS!

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I have to say I am waiting to see if HTC has anything remotely comparable to the Lumia software experience. Between Nokia Drive, Music, Network Setup, Creative Studio and Camera Extras, the 900 really out did my Titan - if only in the software aspect.

The build of the Titan is better IMO, but the end user experience of the Lumia is just sharper - and that is only due to the software that Nokia provides as an exclusive. I think the 8x/s and 820/920 will tell the same story. The HTC devices will be a bit stronger hardware wise, but the Nokia devices will have better software support.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I am really happy that HTC is taking seriously WP. It will bring more competition... I would choose the 820 just because of the support. However, Nokia needs to make these devices available in major carriers. HTC is going to offer the 8x on three major U.S carriers that gives the user some expectations. Nokia has not officially announced their plans. Therefore, consumers cannot say I would buy it.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While I'm sure it will be a solid device, the two-tone look and inferior specs will rule out the 8S for me. I'm very happy that the manufacturers seem to be putting out phones to cover a broad range of price/performance points. It's always nice to have options.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love the design of the 8S but the specs leave a bit to be desired. This is the type of phone I would get my girl. But specs aside, my biggest concern is support. HTC really dropped the ball when it came to supporting their 2nd gen devices. I'm gonna have to see what support HTC gives the 8S/X before I think about getting an HTC again.

gadgetebz

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I think HTC has made a big mistake not including a Front Facing Camera in the 8S

In 2012 no Front Facing Camera in a Smartphone is a crime!!! I think the Nokia Lumia 800 suffered the same problem.

This phone`s 4 inch display, two tone design will appeal especially to young people and women. This demographic make the most use of taking portrait photos for social network sites... The wide angle front facing camera in the 8X would have been a killer feature for people capturing moments in nightclubs, bars and restaurants ...

An opportunity missed in my view as phone intended for Western Europe and the USA cannot be a success when missing the basic expected features...

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think HTC has made a big mistake not including a Front Facing Camera in the 8S

In 2012 no Front Facing Camera in a Smartphone is a crime!!! I think the Nokia Lumia 800 suffered the same problem.....

I don't think FFC's are that popular in the U.S. since it requires a 3rd party application to work.

I know when my wife and I are in France using the Orange network, video calling is done directly through the carrier, which makes it convenient and we use it. When you go to make a call you get the option of video or voice call. If U.S. carriers added this option, I think FFC's would be more popular here.

gadgetebz

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think FFC's are that popular in the U.S. since it requires a 3rd party application to work.

I know when my wife and I are in France using the Orange network, video calling is done directly through the carrier, which makes it convenient and we use it. When you go to make a call you get the option of video or voice call. If U.S. carriers added this option, I think FFC's would be more popular here.

It`s not really about video calling.... no one really uses that... however video calling is already available with the Tango APP without carrier approval..

Front Facing Camera`s are primarily used for SELF PORTRAITS as I said before. My female relatives and friends rejected 1st Gen windows phones for this reason. Their excuse was posting self photos to Facebook etc.. It`s staggering the amount of these type of photos young people upload when in bars and clubs...

HTC acknowledge this as they put an excellent wide angled Front Facing lens in the 8X

However a 4.3 inch 8X might not appeal to someone moving from a smaller phone like an Iphone or Blackberry.

kishanraj217

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you're confusing the 8S with the 8X, which does have a FFC.

well what if I forward you the mail i got from HTC telling tht "THE HTC 8S" has a ffc?

thats what i got from them

HTC Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: xxxxxxxxx
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Delete | Show original
Dear Kishan Raj,

Thank you for contacting HTC.

We are dedicated in providing you the best quality service and answering your questions and concern.

As per your E-Mail we understand that, you want to know some specifications of HTC 8S device.

We would like to inform you that, HTC 8S device has front camera. However, we are unable to comment on the launch countries and date of HTC 8S device. As soon as the update is released of the launch, the details of the same would be posted on our official website link https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.htc.com%2Fin%2F&token=_aS508PS as well as on the our Social networking Face book link http://www.facebook.com/htc where you can check it.

However, you can visit the link https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fsmartpho...wp-8s%2F%23specs&token=aVUariMT for more details regarding the device.

We would request you to provide us your valuable feedback to us via survey form, which you will receive in your mail after closing the ticket. This will help us to maintain excellent customer relationship.

You can always visit https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fwww.htc.com%2Fin%2Fsupport%2F&token=JTf49jBv for online FAQ's to get more help and knowledge about the products and services offered by HTC.

We appreciate you for giving us your valuable time and patience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email us or call us at our contact center 1800-266-3566, Mon to Sun – 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Thank you once again for your continued patronage.

Last edited by a moderator:

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm in love with this phone, I just can't help it. However, I've had my Mozart for almost 2 years (I was one of the first WP users!) and it still works perfectly fine. In addition, they don't seem to be that different spec-wise, both have LCD displays, gorilla glass, 1Ghz processor, 512 RAM, no ffc, and the Mozart's camera is pretty decent and even has more megapixels than the 8s's. Do you think it's really worth the upgrade? Thanks a lot for your opinions!

Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
well what if I forward you the mail i got from HTC telling tht "THE HTC 8S" has a ffc?

thats what i got from them

Every hands-on impression I've read says it doesn't have a FFC. Even HTC's website doesn't list a FFC. I think you got someone from tech support that doesn't know what he's talking about. The only way this phone could have a FFC would be if HTC was working on a different international model.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm in love with this phone, I just can't help it. However, I've had my Mozart for almost 2 years (I was one of the first WP users!) and it still works perfectly fine. In addition, they don't seem to be that different spec-wise, both have LCD displays, gorilla glass, 1Ghz processor, 512 RAM, no ffc, and the Mozart's camera is pretty decent and even has more megapixels than the 8s's. Do you think it's really worth the upgrade? Thanks a lot for your opinions!

That's a dual core processor. As far as it being a worthy upgrade, I think the software makes a pretty good case for that, but ultimately it's your money!

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's a dual core processor. As far as it being a worthy upgrade, I think the software makes a pretty good case for that, but ultimately it's your money!

But the Mozart is still getting 7.8, isn't it? And I think it won't be so different from 8, will it? Also, do you think it has enough RAM? I heard the guys from WPCentral podcast that it could be like a limited version of WP8, kind of like the lumia is a limited 7.5. The only complaint I have with the Mozart is that the screen is barely visible under direct sunlight, I guess it will be better in the 8s. Do u know if the screen is any better?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss