Windows Phone 8 and SD Cards

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, have just a htc 8s and find the sd card option is not working have you guys got any ideas 2 make it work

I had problems with my 8S, when connected to a PC, couldn't see either the phone or SD card. I removed the card without doing it properly and by chance plugged it into a computer, suddenly the phone's file system appeared. So I copied the files from the SD card to the PC, put the SD card back in the phone, rebooted, formatted the SD card, rebooted and suddenly I can now see phone and SD card from the PC.

I personally don't find the storage on the phone to be a problem, of course I only use the phone as a phone and only have a couple of games installed, to be honest with the battery life and generally ease of use, size etc. I'm prepared to take this as a compromise which may never actually be a problem. I find the phone to be snappy and behave far better than my samsung galaxy, it's not crashed once in the two weeks I've been using it, and I don't find myself waiting for apps to load any more than I did on Android or iOS. I love the fact that I can leave data and wifi on without getting a flat battery overnight, MS seems to really have sussed the sleep mode for both, even leaving Skype running doesn't seem to impact things.

mike

EnolaB29

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My problem with the other WP8 phones is that they are all too big. I want a phone that sits nice in one hand. I'm going to try and sell my iPhone 4 now and then I'm going to take the plunge and get the 8S. install only the core apps I need as listed above and maybe games (I can always delete games). Im annoyed I panicked when I got my 8S last week and then took it back after seeing how little space was left but if I can install all the apps I want and have like 800/700mb free im happy with that.

I so agree! I wish they could realise that some people (like myself) want an high end phone with all the specs but just in a smaller size. But currently if you want a smaller phone you immediately have to sacrifice a lot of specs.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel exactly the same way but maybe we have reached the point where that is no longer possible? 4G radios use a lot of juice, so you'd need a big battery with any 4G phone. But the 8X is not really that much bigger than the 8S and it is actually a little thinner.

phone itself states the total available memory on the phone as 3.6GB, with the OS using up 2.3GB of that leaving 1.3 free for apps (which isn't much)
How is that not much? Most apps I've installed are around 4-8Mb, so 1.3Gb would be enough space for 200 apps or more.

piflechien

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Once installed apps take way more MB than the number showed on the market.
Around 20Mb approximately for an app advertised as 5MB on the market.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I feel exactly the same way but maybe we have reached the point where that is no longer possible? 4G radios use a lot of juice, so you'd need a big battery with any 4G phone. But the 8X is not really that much bigger than the 8S and it is actually a little thinner.

How is that not much? Most apps I've installed are around 4-8Mb, so 1.3Gb would be enough space for 200 apps or more.

please listen to piflechien as he/she is correct. With the 8S you can relisitically get 30 apps on the phone with enough space left to run the phone, for e-mails and the for cached data.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
please listen to piflechien as he/she is correct. With the 8S you can relisitically get 30 apps on the phone with enough space left to run the phone, for e-mails and the for cached data.
Will you stand by that statement? Because if that's accurate, my requirements are golden.

DavidRF

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have an HTC 8s, it was running low on memory to I downloaded some apps onto the micro SD card instead of the phone but you have to download them onto the phone memory first to play them which is stupid because I already have them on my phone and I have 7GB of memory on my micro SD but I don't have anything to use it on except music videos and pictures which I don't have enough of to take up more than 300mb of the memory
Also when I delete stuff it says I have 100mb left I try to get an app at 45mb it says I don't have enough memory

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, I already have about a dozen installed and I still have 1.2Gb of on-board storage available, so I don't see that 30 is anywhere near accurate. I reckon I could easily get 100 apps onto it if I needed to.

DavidRF

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I only have 1mb left of 1.2Gb despite having over 7Gb in my micro SD what can I do to get more memory so I can get more apps on my phone
I got apps on my Micro SD by downloading them off the computer but have to install them on phone memory before I can use them

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have an HTC 8s, it was running low on memory to I downloaded some apps onto the micro SD card instead of the phone but you have to download them onto the phone memory first to play them which is stupid because I already have them on my phone and I have 7GB of memory on my micro SD but I don't have anything to use it on except music videos and pictures which I don't have enough of to take up more than 300mb of the memory
Also when I delete stuff it says I have 100mb left I try to get an app at 45mb it says I don't have enough memory

can you tell me how you were able to move some of your apps to the SD card as I would love to go that since I thought that you were unable to.

procopy

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Are there really no plans for future update, that will let storing apps and maps on the card? Not even mentioning the swap, as this might be a bit too much. Or does the problem go much deeper than that? I was considering getting it, but this **** is a total deal breaker for me. Would have already bought one if it wasn't for this. One of the reasons I want a smartphone is it's supposed to be something better than a standard phone or Asha or Explorer or whatever. I mean I'd rather get a Lumia 800 now that 7.8 arrived and they are already dirt cheap. ****, even iPhone 4 is more appealing than that! At least you won't be limited in terms of applications and the screen is way superior. Not sure 620 is much of a competition to potential 8S users though, if you consider the teen audience it's aimed at. Definitely not my cup of tea.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I only have 1mb left of 1.2Gb despite having over 7Gb in my micro SD what can I do to get more memory so I can get more apps on my phone
I got apps on my Micro SD by downloading them off the computer but have to install them on phone memory before I can use them

No, you can only save pictures,music and videos to the micro SD

Yes, I have about 25 and only have 50mb of free space
None of my apps are above 50mb

Are u talking to yourself? Just asking...

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

gudodayn

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Already experiencing issues when watching Youtube videos .....
The menu "Make More Space" will cut-in halfway through the video!
I'm guessing the video cache to the phone internal 4GB has ran out (I have 200MB left with all the apps installed).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)