Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Goliemoi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #1  
    Lately I've been considering the Htc 8S as my next phone. Ya I know its really low end and all but its the only WP8 available to me. I can deal with the omission of NFC and a couple other things, but the paltry storage is definitely a deal breaker for me. My question is, to what extent does WP8 utilize the micro sd card functionality? Can you store applications and games on an SD card, or only music and video? This is crucial for me as I will definitely have more than 4 gb of applications and games. Thanks in advance for any replies
  2. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliemoi View Post
    Lately I've been considering the Htc 8S as my next phone. Ya I know its really low end and all but its the only WP8 available to me. I can deal with the omission of NFC and a couple other things, but the paltry storage is definitely a deal breaker for me. My question is, to what extent does WP8 utilize the micro sd card functionality? Can you store applications and games on an SD card, or only music and video? This is crucial for me as I will definitely have more than 4 gb of applications and games. Thanks in advance for any replies
    You can store pictures, video and music on the SD card but not apps or games. With the 8S you get 1.3gb of storage as the OS takes up the rest of the 4GB. So I don't think this phone will be for you.
    Thanked by:
  3. Goliemoi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #3  
    Ah, shame. I guess I will be waiting until something a little more high end. Thanks for the quick reply!
  4. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliemoi View Post
    Ah, shame. I guess I will be waiting until something a little more high end. Thanks for the quick reply!
    wait for lumia 620 with 8G internal storage - nfc - front facing camera - 1ghz dualcore

    estimated date January 2013
  5. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    #5  
    It really confuses me. So how much will the internal memory be where the apps/games go?

    And how much memory out of 4GB do we get?

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  6. JimboJones2268's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #6  
    Approx, 1.6Gb is free for the user.
  7. corsica's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    84 Posts
    #7  
    phone itself states the total available memory on the phone as 3.6GB, with the OS using up 2.3GB of that leaving 1.3 free for apps (which isn't much)
  8. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    #8  
    Oh that's very very little isn't it...how many apps can we install. And filling the system till the brim won't slow down the device?

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  9. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Oh that's very very little isn't it...how many apps can we install. And filling the system till the brim won't slow down the device?

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
    XENOPHOS I recently had the 8S for a day until I found out how limited you were with only 1.3GB of storage. This is what I managed to install and have 400MB free.

    Fabeook App
    Twitter App
    Alarm Clock
    WP Central App
    Weave
    Weather
    Bus Times App
    Reddit App
    Flixster
    Ebay
    Paypal
    Flashlight
    Remote
    Guitar Tuner
    Sound Hound
    Cinema Times App
    TV Guide
    TED
    MetroTube

    Cut The Rope
    2 other small free games

    So I got 19 apps and 3 games and have 400MB free. Now bare in mind thats not a lot and I chose not to install another 5 that I want that I use a fair bit. Now also remember all those apps will download data and cache data as you use them. So that 400MB free will go in no time at all. Thats also not accounting for any OS updates we will get in the future which will surely take up more space.

    Having the SD is great for music, video and photos. But useless for apps as you cant install them on an SD card. I'd say go for the 8X or if you want a phone of similar size get the 620 once its out.
  10. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_c View Post
    XENOPHOS I recently had the 8S for a day until I found out how limited you were with only 1.3GB of storage. This is what I managed to install and have 400MB free.

    Fabeook App
    Twitter App
    Alarm Clock
    WP Central App
    Weave
    Weather
    Bus Times App
    Reddit App
    Flixster
    Ebay
    Paypal
    Flashlight
    Remote
    Guitar Tuner
    Sound Hound
    Cinema Times App
    TV Guide
    TED
    MetroTube

    Cut The Rope
    2 other small free games

    So I got 19 apps and 3 games and have 400MB free. Now bare in mind thats not a lot and I chose not to install another 5 that I want that I use a fair bit. Now also remember all those apps will download data and cache data as you use them. So that 400MB free will go in no time at all. Thats also not accounting for any OS updates we will get in the future which will surely take up more space.

    Having the SD is great for music, video and photos. But useless for apps as you cant install them on an SD card. I'd say go for the 8X or if you want a phone of similar size get the 620 once its out.
    Thanks richard_c. What do u mean "For a day" did u give up the phone because if this very reason?
    Like I said, I would just be getting a Kindle App, torchlight, currency converter etc. My app count wont be more than 10. Including games. I would have loved to go for the 8X but two things I hate about it. Price, and design. It's the same old boring black.

    I like the 8S a lot. Also, what you are saying is 100% true. System updates and all will eat up space like forest fire.
    Hmm..had it not been the memory, this phone would have been perfect..

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  11. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Thanks richard_c. What do u mean "For a day" did u give up the phone because if this very reason?
    Like I said, I would just be getting a Kindle App, torchlight, currency converter etc. My app count wont be more than 10. Including games. I would have loved to go for the 8X but two things I hate about it. Price, and design. It's the same old boring black.

    I like the 8S a lot. Also, what you are saying is 100% true. System updates and all will eat up space like forest fire.
    Hmm..had it not been the memory, this phone would have been perfect..

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
    I had the phone for a day but then I panicked thinking in the long run I would run out of space very fast even though I didn't have as many apps. I may be wrong and that 300/400mb would last but I wasn't sure so that's why I returned it. Other than that I loved the phone. I still want the phone if I know theres a way to manage apps and cache data.
  12. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_c View Post
    I had the phone for a day but then I panicked thinking in the long run I would run out of space very fast even though I didn't have as many apps. I may be wrong and that 300/400mb would last but I wasn't sure so that's why I returned it. Other than that I loved the phone. I still want the phone if I know theres a way to manage apps and cache data.
    Oh cool..the funny thing is, on another thread, people who have the phone are saying it has plenty if space even though its just 400mb
    .

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  13. sejgiul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    #13  
    Please don't take this the wrong way. I am just trying to figure out what is happening here as I am interested in getting the 8S.

    I am not quite sure how you were left with only 400 mb by installing just these 19 apps and 3 games. I come to 133mb for file weights.

    I am not familiair enough with WP, but I assume the file weight as shown on the app store is the compressed size. Therefore assuming it is, let's say the actual size of the apps and games altogether is approx. 200-250mb depending on the compression method (e.g. winRAR can compress up to approx. 70% of the original file size).

    Anyway, so let's stick with the upper limit here. 250mb for the uncompressed apps.

    1,331.20 MB storage is available as per your findings.

    1,331.20 - 250 = 1,081.20

    After installing the apps you should be left with 1,081.20 mb of free storage. Your findings tell us then, that the system's cache (apps, games, photos, email etc) takes up 681.20mb?

    It sounds to me like you had an app installed that created a huge cache. Either that or your email accounts were full of attachments? - How many email accounts did you have and how many items did you fetch for each account?

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by richard_c View Post
    XENOPHOS I recently had the 8S for a day until I found out how limited you were with only 1.3GB of storage. This is what I managed to install and have 400MB free.

    Fabeook App - 4mb
    Twitter App - 2mb
    Alarm Clock - 5mb
    WP Central App - 1mb
    Weave - 3mb
    Weather - 1mb
    Bus Times App - 1mb
    Reddit App - 1mb
    Flixster - 1mb
    Ebay - 2mb
    Paypal - 6mb
    Flashlight - 1mb
    Remote - 2mb?
    Guitar Tuner - 1mb
    Sound Hound - 2mb
    Cinema Times App - 1-2mb
    TV Guide - 5mb
    TED - 1mb
    MetroTube - 1mb

    Cut The Rope - 31mb
    2 other small free games - say also 30mb odd each for a total of 60mb

    So I got 19 apps and 3 games and have 400MB free. Now bare in mind thats not a lot and I chose not to install another 5 that I want that I use a fair bit. Now also remember all those apps will download data and cache data as you use them. So that 400MB free will go in no time at all. Thats also not accounting for any OS updates we will get in the future which will surely take up more space.

    Having the SD is great for music, video and photos. But useless for apps as you cant install them on an SD card. I'd say go for the 8X or if you want a phone of similar size get the 620 once its out.
  14. JimboJones2268's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #14  
    Apps can request a reserved portion of your storage of pretty much any size. And they can keep requesting more. The system also reserves space for various things itself. That space gets eaten up fast.
  15. sejgiul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    #15  
    Reserving 600mb seems a bit much to me. Don't forget that these apps and games are relatively small and nothing major really, they mostly display information that is pulled off the internet. I am a developer myself and I know for a fact that these apps and games do not need that kind of space.
  16. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
    Reserving 600mb seems a bit much to me. Don't forget that these apps and games are relatively small and nothing major really, they mostly display information that is pulled off the internet. I am a developer myself and I know for a fact that these apps and games do not need that kind of space.
    lu1gj3s - With all the apps I mentioned above do you think having 300mb of free space left is plenty of the phone. From you opinion as a developer. You wouldn't lose all that space would you?

    In regards to you question about e-mail accounts.

    I had one account set up but I deleted all the e-mails from it so that it wouldnt take up any space. One game was cut the rope maybe that took up more space but Im not sure why I lose so much space. But by the end I was coming away with 400mb free. I even deleted built in HTC apps to make more room. I really want the phone. I may buy it again and stick with it this time and hope that the apps I want which are above dont take up too much space.
  17. sejgiul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    #17  
    If you do get it again, it might be worth trying to install apps one by one to see what happens every time. One of those apps might be buggy :)
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_c View Post
    lu1gj3s - With all the apps I mentioned above do you think having 300mb of free space left is plenty of the phone. From you opinion as a developer. You wouldn't lose all that space would you?In regards to you question about e-mail accounts.I had one account set up but I deleted all the e-mails from it so that it wouldnt take up any space. One game was cut the rope maybe that took up more space but Im not sure why I lose so much space. But by the end I was coming away with 400mb free. I even deleted built in HTC apps to make more room. I really want the phone. I may buy it again and stick with it this time and hope that the apps I want which are above dont take up too much space.
  18. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #18  
    I will do. I'm hoping that's the case. I really do.
  19. sejgiul's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_c View Post
    I will do. I'm hoping that's the case. I really do.
    Me too! Lol. It's the only decent windows phone 8 device in my eyes. The lumias are too plasticky to my liking excepting the 920 of course.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
  20. richard_c's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #20  
    My problem with the other WP8 phones is that they are all too big. I want a phone that sits nice in one hand. I'm going to try and sell my iPhone 4 now and then I'm going to take the plunge and get the 8S. install only the core apps I need as listed above and maybe games (I can always delete games). Im annoyed I panicked when I got my 8S last week and then took it back after seeing how little space was left but if I can install all the apps I want and have like 800/700mb free im happy with that.
  21. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    #21  
    Can you take pics and have them go straight to the sd card right away? Or do you have to move them?
    My next phone...
  22. Sityos Vin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Can you take pics and have them go straight to the sd card right away? Or do you have to move them?
    yes, the pictures go straight to the sd :)
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  
    Hi all, have just a htc 8s and find the sd card option is not working have you guys got any ideas 2 make it work
  24. Mike Buckhurst's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarnath Ramachandran View Post
    Hi all, have just a htc 8s and find the sd card option is not working have you guys got any ideas 2 make it work
    I had problems with my 8S, when connected to a PC, couldn't see either the phone or SD card. I removed the card without doing it properly and by chance plugged it into a computer, suddenly the phone's file system appeared. So I copied the files from the SD card to the PC, put the SD card back in the phone, rebooted, formatted the SD card, rebooted and suddenly I can now see phone and SD card from the PC.

    I personally don't find the storage on the phone to be a problem, of course I only use the phone as a phone and only have a couple of games installed, to be honest with the battery life and generally ease of use, size etc. I'm prepared to take this as a compromise which may never actually be a problem. I find the phone to be snappy and behave far better than my samsung galaxy, it's not crashed once in the two weeks I've been using it, and I don't find myself waiting for apps to load any more than I did on Android or iOS. I love the fact that I can leave data and wifi on without getting a flat battery overnight, MS seems to really have sussed the sleep mode for both, even leaving Skype running doesn't seem to impact things.

    mike
  25. flierman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #25  
    Is it possible to store maps on sd-card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Phone and the US a bad match?
    By theefman in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
  4. A missed Opportunity. Windows Phone and LTE
    By jdevenberg in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions