Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 81
Like Tree10Likes
  1. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    As someone else who is watching his pennies, I am sorry we in the US do not have this fun little option. Sure, the smaller app count might be a deal breaker, as might the no Front facing camera. But for the price you get a fun looking (arguably the best looking WP 8, including other unrealeased ones like the ATIV S and the 620), decent performing mid-sized device. (Is 4" officially small now, or is it still mid-sized? Might just open that up in the forums for debate.)

    I think for your purposes Professor X, this little guy would fit the bill. It is quite a different animal from your current monster phone, but I think to use for a while and see how you like WP 8 it would be fine and a joy to use.

    I see no reason not to wait and play with the 620 as well in your position, but I am willing to bet you won't regret the 8S.
    Thanks Snowmutt. As usual, your opinions are much respected. I am looking forward to simplify my life as much as I can. And it is going to start with this phone.

    Wont run higher-end games? Good. Neither can I afford it nor am I a gamer.

    Doesn't have FFC? Good cause I barely talk to my loved ones, let alone video chatting.

    Low internal memory? Good, that means few apps, and THAT in turn means better battery life and a faster OS.

    But what I most definitely will need it for:

    MS Office.
    Need to work from home or while commuting. And this is No. 1 reason I am investing in a MS product.
    "The Office apps on Android suck", would be an understatement.
    (Also pursue my dream of writing a novel.)

    Social Networking.
    Twitter/Facebook/Tech websites. Need to interact with people, need to exchange views, need to share.

    Music.
    I like to be alone, in my world. And Beats Audio is the perfect companion while I commute.

    That's about it. If it falls short on these 3 very essential aspects, then I may have to look elsewhere. But I doubt it will.
    Lately, I've seen many reviews about how WP is waayyy better than any Android out there. That's what a phone should be like. Out of the box, it should work like a charm.

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
    Last edited by XENOPHOS; 12-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    snowmutt likes this.
  2. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #52  
    No one is complaining about it because almost no one has one dude.
  3. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    No one is complaining about it because almost no one has one dude.
    And the people who do, aren't...

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  4. ivomc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sityos Vin View Post
    HTC 8x has no sd card, you need to put photos, music, videos and documents, apps on 16 GB storage.

    on HTC 8s we have 32 GB+ on SD card for music, videos, photos.... and 1.6 GB for apps.
    You don't have 1,6 gb for apps... you have about 600mb, since the stupid "other category" grows as much as to 1gb of useless space. It's an absolute waste.I have one 8s and I'm so disappointed because of this.
  5. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivomc View Post
    You don't have 1,6 gb for apps... you have about 600mb, since the stupid "other category" grows as much as to 1gb of useless space. It's an absolute waste.I have one 8s and I'm so disappointed because of this.
    You wouldn't recommend it right? Also, I am not going to install 3000 apps..let alone high end games..it would still be an issue?

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  6. #56  
    I will say... For basic use, on a budget, the 8S is nice! I find it better and nicer than most Androids in its price range.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  7. Stephen Vogel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #57  
    I got one of these for my partner here in NZ. Gave it to her for Christmas. Lasted for about 3 hours before it became too hot to touch. Switched it off to cool it down and it wouldn't start again. None of the usual restart tricks worked so took it back to Vodafone who replaced no questions asked. Turned the replacement on and it wouldn't recognise the sim card. Vodafone tried multiple sims with no luck so junked that 1 too. Lost faith in them to be homest so ended up stumping up another $300 for 820. (That's the off contract price dif here in NZ).
    Based on the 3 hours of use on the HTC it seemed like a nice phone but not much storage at all left over after OS etc installed (less than 2 GB). 820 is noticeable faster and has a better camera and more storage but so it should for the price tag. Bottom line was happy with HTC but just lost trust in the device after 2 units with a combined lifespan of half a day.
  8. pankaj981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,328 Posts
    #58  
    Just wait for the 620
  9. dogfish54's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    299 Posts
    #59  
    Agreed, wait or the 620.
  10. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #60  
    Virtually no room for apps and only 512 mb RAM. I don't know.. As long as you don't need anything other than the apps it comes with and maybe a handful of games I guess it would be adequate.
  11. flierman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #61  
    I am pretty satisified with my 8S, since I dont use alot of apps...maybe 10-15 I have no problem with the storage. The quality is really great and it is really thin and nice to hold, and looks great.

    Audio is great with beats audio and the 4 inch size of the screen is just perfect for me, I think 4,5 is to big. The Nokias and the 8X are to bulky for my taste. I do belive the Nokia 620 is a better phone compared to 8S since you get more internal storage and so on, but the size and feeling of the HTC is superior.

    Camera is not that great on 8S but I use a real camera when out so no issue for me.

    The 512 mb ram is enough for me, I think it is rapid and responsive all the time. I dont play games so have no opinion about it.
    Thanked by:
  12. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by flierman View Post
    I am pretty satisified with my 8S, since I dont use alot of apps...maybe 10-15 I have no problem with the storage. The quality is really great and it is really thin and nice to hold, and looks great.

    Audio is great with beats audio and the 4 inch size of the screen is just perfect for me, I think 4,5 is to big. The Nokias and the 8X are to bulky for my taste. I do belive the Nokia 620 is a better phone compared to 8S since you get more internal storage and so on, but the size and feeling of the HTC is superior.

    Camera is not that great on 8S but I use a real camera when out so no issue for me.

    The 512 mb ram is enough for me, I think it is rapid and responsive all the time. I dont play games so have no opinion about it.
    Thanks flierman. I am more or less exactly like u...10-15 apps, not worried about the camera and gonna enjoy music...

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  13. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #63  
    The smart thing to do would be to stretch your budget to get a Lumia 820 so you'd get a much more practical 8 GB of RAM plus the same speedy 1.5 GHz processor as the 920 and 1 GB of RAM so you aren't left out of the best apps on WP8.

    If that is not possible, wait for the Lumia 620. That way you get 8 GB of NAND memory at least so you will have a reasonable amount of internal storage for apps. All indications are that the 620 will have a similar price to the 8S and its far more practical.

    You're never going to be able to run apps off the SD card, so if that's your back up plan, i'd let that pipe dream go.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
  14. Aliandren's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #64  
    Not sure a out your market but we had free 822/810/820 lumias over the holiday season in the US. With this in mind I don't see how anyone could justify buying an 8s.
    Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
  15. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    The smart thing to do would be to stretch your budget to get a Lumia 820 so you'd get a much more practical 8 GB of RAM plus the same speedy 1.5 GHz processor as the 920 and 1 GB of RAM so you aren't left out of the best apps on WP8.

    If that is not possible, wait for the Lumia 620. That way you get 8 GB of NAND memory at least so you will have a reasonable amount of internal storage for apps. All indications are that the 620 will have a similar price to the 8S and its far more practical.

    You're never going to be able to run apps off the SD card, so if that's your back up plan, i'd let that pipe dream go.
    Then I just have to say, Love at first sight. I just fell in love with the 8S. In fact, I CAN stretch my budget a little. The bad part is, I don't even have any plans to buy any apps. May be a couple of simple games, but that's it. And of course the news apps. No matter what, I just cant see 620 in good light.
    May be Nokia 820, but definitely not 620. Thanks for ur suggestion though..gonna do some research on the 820.

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  16. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliandren View Post
    Not sure a out your market but we had free 822/810/820 lumias over the holiday season in the US. With this in mind I don't see how anyone could justify buying an 8s.
    Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    That's exactly what is angering the WP8 crowd here in India. People are either picking older devices or the 8Xs here...no word from Nokia either...

    Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
  17. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    #67  
    How are 8S owners finding the web browsing on the 8S? I'm a heavy web browser and have multiple web sites open at the same time. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 lags when it comes to web browsing which is why I want to upgrade. But I dont want just a minor upgrade. Is heavy web browsing decent on the 8S despite its meagre 512 MB RAM?
  18. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    How are 8S owners finding the web browsing on the 8S? I'm a heavy web browser and have multiple web sites open at the same time. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 lags when it comes to web browsing which is why I want to upgrade. But I dont want just a minor upgrade. Is heavy web browsing decent on the 8S despite its meagre 512 MB RAM?
    On the surface, 512 mb of ram is not very much, considering my laptop is running 4gb and it's 2 years old. You need to remember that a mobile o/s is extremely light weight (or at least should be) so its caching requirements are nowhere even close to what a computer o/s is.
    My next phone...
  19. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    #69  
    Maybe the 512 mb RAM is why the phone uses up so much 'other' storage? Do you think it might be the page file or whatever its called?
  20. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    #70  
    I think the "other" might be part swap file, or cache. There should be a user override that you could adjust it to a minimum level. Right now it looks like it's dynamic and it expands or contracts as it sees fit.
    My next phone...
  21. flierman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #71  
    I guess the final verdict is that if you will use alot of apps/games the 8S is not enough for you, get the 8X or wait for Lumia 620.

    If you, like me dont use so many apps/games the 8S is really great, I am very satisfied with it and the 512 MB ram is enough to support the phone for normal use, I find it fast and responsive.
  22. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Vogel View Post
    I got one of these for my partner here in NZ. Gave it to her for Christmas. Lasted for about 3 hours before it became too hot to touch. Switched it off to cool it down and it wouldn't start again. None of the usual restart tricks worked so took it back to Vodafone who replaced no questions asked. Turned the replacement on and it wouldn't recognise the sim card. Vodafone tried multiple sims with no luck so junked that 1 too. Lost faith in them to be homest so ended up stumping up another $300 for 820. (That's the off contract price dif here in NZ).
    Based on the 3 hours of use on the HTC it seemed like a nice phone but not much storage at all left over after OS etc installed (less than 2 GB). 820 is noticeable faster and has a better camera and more storage but so it should for the price tag. Bottom line was happy with HTC but just lost trust in the device after 2 units with a combined lifespan of half a day.
    Was the 4" too small? Just asking, as I was seeing it along with my RaZr, thought was tad bit smaller. But the web pages looked/felt perfect. Just over all, the size was a little small. Did u feel so?
  23. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by flierman View Post
    I guess the final verdict is that if you will use alot of apps/games the 8S is not enough for you, get the 8X or wait for Lumia 620.

    If you, like me dont use so many apps/games the 8S is really great, I am very satisfied with it and the 512 MB ram is enough to support the phone for normal use, I find it fast and responsive.
    Correct..also, like I asked Stephen, do you think the 4" is slightly smaller? I have a a RaZr, 4.3". Though i just hate the Android font and everything about it in general, the web page on the 8S looked perfect, but wasn't huge. Did u think it was small?
  24. flierman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Correct..also, like I asked Stephen, do you think the 4" is slightly smaller? I have a a RaZr, 4.3". Though i just hate the Android font and everything about it in general, the web page on the 8S looked perfect, but wasn't huge. Did u think it was small?
    Compared to my Iphone 3,5 inches I think 4 is perfect, feels alot bigger than the Iphone and perfect size for me, 4.5 is to big for my taste.
  25. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,632 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
       #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by flierman View Post
    Compared to my Iphone 3,5 inches I think 4 is perfect, feels alot bigger than the Iphone and perfect size for me, 4.5 is to big for my taste.
    Hmm...from 3.5" it looks big. And from 4.3" it looks small...also, I will be writing a lot on my phone as I work whilst commuting sometimes. So, is it comfortable to hold and stare at the screen for a long time. Or do the small fonts are an eye-strain?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Complaining about the complaining!
    By Ragedoctor in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
  2. The one great thing no one's mentioned yet
    By baseballbert in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
  3. Find it weird that no one is talking about the Huawei Wp
    By 12Danny123 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM
  4. This one thing irritates me a TON about the Lumia 900.
    By lumia1234 in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
  5. 7 Reasons Why Windows Phone Is The Best OS No One Is Using
    By TheWeeBear in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 03:41 AM

Posting Permissions