Seeing no one complaining about the 8S..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Check the 8X forums, the 920 forums and someone or the other is complaining about either a light leak, random reboots, screen cracking(shattering actually) etc..
But the 8S owners are only praising the device...

I am considering the 8S as I can't afford the 8X TBH.

So anything I need to worry about?

Things I will use my phone for:

Work ( Very important, MS Office)
Music ( DnB and dubstep)
Surfing ( Tech sites and forums)
Social ( FB and Twitter)

I barely use the Camera and not much of a gaming person.

My only complain/query is in one of the preview videos when the guy is comparing the 8X and 8S, both have the red accent colours. However, on the 8S it looked orange. Is it so? Do the colours looked washed out on the 8S?

Just going to see when it launches here in India.

Also, What colour would y'all suggest?

Black/WHITE
OR
BLue?

Thanx!

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

lbleij

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

The only concern on the 8S is the amount of storage. Let it be 4 gigs, the OS takes up around 2,3 of it.
That gives you 1,7 Gigabytes of space.
As far as your demands it's a perfect Phone. The Qualcomm S4 1 GHz Dual Core Processor (what a mouthful) does a great job.
Anyway, if you insert a 16 gig sd card that'll be enough for a decent music and photo collection.
I'm going to get the 8S also, as there are only the black/white and grey/lime colours available in my country, i would go for the black/white. It's beautiful, altough the choice between blue and black is hard ;)

Anyway, it would be a perfect Phone with a reasonable price for you. Nothing to worry about!

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the sound quality is fine on the 8S although the external speaker is very weak. Your other requirements are really software based, suffice to say that the phone is pretty snappy and quick. Not super quick, but for a low-mid range device, it is excellent.

The screen is ok. It is not amazing, but I think it is decent. It is an LCD screen and as such the blacks are not too deep and the contract is not amazing. Colours are reproduced fairly well, I dont think the screen is washed out, just a little dim. The auto brightness is a bit odd at times, but again, not bad.

I think the camera is a bit weak, but not terrible. Typical for this type of device. It has the ability to take excellent shots in perfect light, but in lower light or indoors, it struggles a fair bit.

The battery seems strong to me. I get very good battery life so far.

I have the phone in Blue. It is very smart, but there is a light blue bit of plastic around the speaker grill and around the camera lens which overall detracts from the look. It is minor, but it is there. I think the black is the nicest colour by some margin!

My only serious complaint with the phone is the storage space. It is very limited and there is no control over how it is used. After a couple of days with a few apps and my typical usage, I am down to 257Mb free. Not good.

Other than storage space, this is in my opinion the best low-mid range phone there is at the moment. You have to decide if the space is an issue.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
More 8Xs out there than 8Ss and they've been out longer than 8S. I hope tho that it's better build quality. Maybe there's less complaining cause it so beautiful and you forgive it. Kind of like a cute bunny pissing on you carpet...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all you guys for the replies.

I really couldn't understand the 4Gig bit...I thought that was the mem card that comes along with the phone.
So how much memory does, let's say, 920 or 8X have?
And if only 2.3 something is left, that's too little isn't it. Again, I am not going to play any high end games. But still, this is too low AFAIK.

And may be I missed this last time, but I come from a 4.3" screen. Will I face issues reading on-screen. I in fact wanted a phone bigger than 4.3" but I have severe budget constraints.

And I just hate the plasticy-toyish look of the 820.

So, the 8S, apart from the memory issue is sorted.

No random reboots, no screen-light leaks, no software glitches in short correct?

Once again, thanks for your replies..

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It is not perfect, there are some minor glitches in software, but it is as good as any Android, iPhone or Windows Phone 7 device I have used in that sense.

The storage is becoming an issue for me. I lost 100Mb just using the phone last night and I have no idea how. When you have the 16Gb of the 8X or 32Gb of the Lumia 920, these things are not an issue, but it is with the 8S.

The screen is fine though, it is smaller than a 4.3" obviously, but it is decent enough.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just so you realize..

The 8S subsection has 25 threads, 8X has like 500, 920 has like 3000.

The reason for lack of complaints at least in that scale is simply cos "nobody" has one. I'm not saying that it would be better or worse than 8X or 920, but these things here correlate.

Sityos Vin

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have one :) and i love the phone, small phone can fit in my hand perfectly for writing sms
many people do not have the phone because it was released after the 8x, and there is not many for sale, in my country only one store has them in stock for sale.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
As has been stated and as I have stated many time on the 8S forum the storage is what kills this phone.

You said you weren't sure how the storage situation works so I will try and explain it.

With the 8S you get 4GB of internal storage. This cant be removed. On that 4GB the Windows Phone 8 operating system is installed. This takes up 2.7GB of the 4GB. This mean you have 1.3GB free to install applications and games.

For music, video and pictures you can install an SD upto 32GB so for all your music, video and picture needs the phone will need your requirements. But you can only install applications and games on the actual phone i.e. the internal storage not an SD card. With 1.3GB you are really really really limited. Now you may look at the average size of an app and say "oh they are only 4MB I can install hundreds of apps". But what you need to remember is that applications and games download data and cache data as you use them over time.

For me this makes the phone useless and not much of a "smart phone" and it really grims me as I got an 8S in black and white and it looked lovely and ran so smooth but 4GB limited it so much.

I think HTC shot themselves in the foot by only putting 4GB in, they should of made it 8GB and there wouldn't be this kind of problem.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Bad. That's really really bad. My confusion came from the fact that my current phone too has an internal and external SD card. Though, both are 8GB.

Now this is slowly becoming an issue for me to consider before buying. Any way, in near future we will see a slightly higher capacity phone?

Like I said, I will have apps that are pretty basic and very few. Currency converter, calculator, torchlight, stocks and a couple of news apps, a book reading app. Buts the max. A couple of games may be, but cut the rope or something...

I'm really going to use it like a phone and not a computer.

Music and very little camera..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just so you realize..

The 8S subsection has 25 threads, 8X has like 500, 920 has like 3000.

The reason for lack of complaints at least in that scale is simply cos "nobody" has one. I'm not saying that it would be better or worse than 8X or 920, but these things here correlate.

Or maybe people have nothing to complain about. ;)

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Bad. That's really really bad. My confusion came from the fact that my current phone too has an internal and external SD card. Though, both are 8GB.

Now this is slowly becoming an issue for me to consider before buying. Any way, in near future we will see a slightly higher capacity phone?

Like I said, I will have apps that are pretty basic and very few. Currency converter, calculator, torchlight, stocks and a couple of news apps, a book reading app. Buts the max. A couple of games may be, but cut the rope or something...

I'm really going to use it like a phone and not a computer.

Music and very little camera..

You may be able to get away with only have those apps on. But I'd still be concerned as you'd have to keep on top of them and maybe delete cached data every now and again ( if said app give you the option to).

Nokia are releasing the 620 which has a 4" screen and 8GB internal storage with and SD card slot, front facing camera and NFC. The only downside of the Nokia 620 for me is that it looks fugly compared to the 8S.

My other hope is HTC release more phones next year or that Nokia release something that is a successor to the 710 and maybe call it the 720.

Sityos Vin

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You may be able to get away with only have those apps on. But I'd still be concerned as you'd have to keep on top of them and maybe delete cached data every now and again ( if said app give you the option to).

Nokia are releasing the 620 which has a 4" screen and 8GB internal storage with and SD card slot, front facing camera and NFC. The only downside of the Nokia 620 for me is that it looks fugly compared to the 8S.

My other hope is HTC release more phones next year or that Nokia release something that is a successor to the 710 and maybe call it the 720.

this is a smartphone not a computer, if you want install "500+" apps go to a Windows 8 tablet.
And a belive soon or later WP8 gona have the option to install apps on a sd card like Android.

Wonderknul

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the HTC 8s and I love it!

All my installed apps (around 20) are 306MB in total and i have 200MB of downloaded offline maps.
Still have 300MB left.

Also HTC included some kind of ccleaner like app to delete things such as temporary files, but i haven't used it yet.

My music, pictures and video's are on a 16GB sdcard

Maybe it doens't sound much, but it is enough for me.
Think about it, how many apps do you really use??

But like I said, it's enough for me. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy Mini with 150MB (!) of internal storage. I could only install about 4 apps on it before Android started to bigger in size every day

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Sityos Vin - Not to be picky put a smartphone is basically a computer. But you are assuming I want to add 500+ apps which is wrong maybe you should found out how many I actual want. I have about 25 apps on my iPhone which I use every week and those were the apps I wanted to put on the 8S. Now when I did this with the 8S I had it only have like 300MB left. My big worry was the cache building up so much I wouldn't be able to do anything on the Phone.

Wonderknul - Im hoping they do allow apps to be installed on SD cards like android. Im going to wait until after Christmas now and see what people on here and else where say about app management for the 8S.

My question is Wonderknul have you noticed that 300MB that you have free going down as you use your phone? How well does the CCleaner like app work? I never saw that on my 8S. Could you keep us posting on how your storage goes please?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
this is a smartphone not a computer, if you want install "500+" apps go to a Windows 8 tablet.
And a belive soon or later WP8 gona have the option to install apps on a sd card like Android.

I don't think he meant that to.begin.with. He meant, with the growing number of apps in Marketplace, IF I install apps, I will b in trouble.
Come to think of it, I barely use 3-4 apps max.on my HIGH END 1.5 GHZ DUAL CORE FLAGSHIP smart phone.
I realized, most of the things my phone can do, I don't.
I want a simple tool communicate with friends and loved ones, stay updated with the latest tech news and listen to music. And yes, read a bit.
Period. I am consciously taking this call. With the advent of Android, I have felt a certain distance with my mom-dad as I am tooooooo busy changing the little battery icon or flashing THAT perfect ROM. I hate Android.
And Love WP8.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Also, does the 8S have the lock screen app options? As in, can I see the notifications on the lock screen like 920/8X?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel