Good news for 8s owners :)

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Ah never thought of that. That is excellent news and solves the problem for 8S owners :) Will defo be getting it now!

madhu.tmk

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello sityos.. Wat do u mean it allocates storage dynamically? Does it allow you to install apps on micro sd? Can you please mention how many apps you have and how much phone storage is left on the phone?...:)

Sityos Vin

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My storage is 694MB free for install aplications and have 12 aplications installed (not including HTC applications and 3,7 MB on photos)

"other" storage have 822.58 MB reserved :)

694 mb + 822.58 mb = 1516,58+- mb free for install aplications
not bad :)

Last edited:

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
That is not how things work. Apps require reserved space in order to be installed. Their size in the Store is just the download size. An app can require any amount of storage space to be reserved and will then refuse to install after that. I have tried this out with a load of apps when I took my 8S down to just a few Mb free.

I am going to try and quantify this a bit more by hard resetting my 8S and installing apps but not running them and see what happens as the space winds down, but still, "other" is not free space for installing apps in to.

Sityos Vin

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
ok,try that and tell us :)

you have read this?

Lumia 820, Other takes a lot of memory. - Microsoft Community

"As you add more to your device it will release some of the reserved space back to the phone.
Pretty much if space is not being used, it will automatically take space and reserve it for use for what is there. If a new app is installed and it needs more space, the phone will allocate the space needed. "

Last edited:

corsica

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Some space may well be released. But not all of it.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

why so negative? this means that the 4gb will probably not become an issue for "normal" people that don't have to have a boatload of apps around at any given time

lbleij

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm very satisfied with this news. The 'other' did give me some worries. I really don't know why those reviewers from the verge and so on complain about the screen. It's crystal clear. Especially with if you come from a LG optimus me, ugh. It's so much better then every mid range device, for exemple the galaxy advance.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
JimbJones2268 - If thats not how things work someone must be wrong. I'd like to know if what the chap said is actually true because I want the 8S and if it can get more sotrage from the "other" part that would be great.

JimboJones2268

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
All I can say for sure is that I had about 300mb free. Tried to install a 120mb game from the store and was told I didn't have enough free space.

I am trying to work out the tipping points here to help everyone out but it is very time consuming and difficult.

Someone previously said I was being negative. Perhaps. But I am also trying to be objective. I don't doubt I may be failing at that :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ivomc

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have 120mb free with the "other" setting occupying over 1gb and system occupying 2,02GB... on my 4gb HTC 8s

I've cleared the cache on the browser, on maps, etc... the "other category" is just out of hand.

If what was said was truth I would have been able to install applications bigger than 120mb using that "other" space.. truth is... I cant.

This "other category" is getting out of hand, I've seen posts of people saying it occupies 6gb or even 10gb. So this will always be a problem on every windows phone 8 model...

If there's nothing done about it in the next couple of days I'll have to returning my HTC 8s to the shop and get an android...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea