How similar, or different from the 8X?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to know how different or similar is the 8S from its elder bro, 8X?
I mean, software-wise, will they be identical?

Will some things be missing in the OS considering hardware wise it is very different?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Software-wise, it's similar, though you'll get much less storage space for apps on the device (even with an SD card).

The OS features are identical.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean that the Music+Videos tile will have all the cool animation while a song is playing?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd be concerned about having the only WP8 device with only 512 Mb of RAM. As far as I know, no WP8 apps require or recommend 1 GB....yet, but it's only a matter of time. I wouldn't be comfortable buying one knowing that while 512mb is technically within Microsofts required specs for WP8, 1 GB is really the defacto standard.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd be concerned about having the only WP8 device with only 512 Mb of RAM. As far as I know, no WP8 apps require or recommend 1 GB....yet, but it's only a matter of time. I wouldn't be comfortable buying one knowing that while 512mb is technically within Microsofts required specs for WP8, 1 GB is really the defacto standard.

Hmm.. .Apps aren't that big a deal.
I have DUALCORE, 1.2GHz CPU and all that and my phone still lags and stutters...And apps? How many apps do I use? 1...2..may be 3.

The most basic apps I DEFINITELY need:

MS Office

Flipboard

WhatsApp

Currency converter

That's about it.
What's the point in buying a multi core phone when all the rest of the cores would be idling around doing nothing..?
I may be wrong...

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The 8S has a slower CPU clockspeed, but a faster GPU to compensate for that. Also only 512mb of RAM, 1.2Gb free out of 4, no coating on glass, no front camera, lower resolution etc. But you can use a miniSD and it works very well. Yes the 8X is superior but you are stuck with 16Gb max currently. But you also get a much better price on the 8S...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The 8S has a slower CPU clockspeed, but a faster GPU to compensate for that. Also only 512mb of RAM, 1.2Gb free out of 4, no coating on glass, no front camera, lower resolution etc. But you can use a miniSD and it works very well. Yes the 8X is superior but you are stuck with 16Gb max currently. But you also get a much better price on the 8S...

That's the thing...price. I already treated myself with an iPad Mini. As for the rest of the things, I just want a smartphone that works.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The lack of space in the phone is pretty prohibitive to being an app hound, so I don't see the ram size putting anyone off that would be interested. It didn't for me. This is a pretty cool little handset for a niche market. Low cost no nonsense phone that manages to remain stylish. It will sell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb