How's HTC 8S for messaging, YouTube, Twitter, web browsing?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So all I want to use my cell phone for is messaging (text and data based), YouTube, Twitter and web browsing. Long battery life is also essential (at least a day with WiFi always on). I'm not really into apps beyond some basics like YouTube (MetroTube), gMaps, Board Express and maybe Skype if and when it becomes a decent app. Do you think the 8S would be suitable? I would like to go for the Nokia Lumia 920 but it's a bit too steep.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well it has a slower process, less internal storage, less RAM (the bare minimum actually) so it wont be exactly the same experience.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Out of all the user experiences I've read about this phone here, I've never heard anyone complain is slow or lagging in any way. Plenty of complaints about lack of storage sure, but that's about it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd look at the Lumia 820 instead. It has the same 1.5 GHz processor as the Lumia 920 and 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of internal memory. Its considerably less expensive than the 920 too. It costs a bit more than the 8S, but hopefully within reach for you.

The 8S is just too compromised to be useful in my opinion. 4 GB of memory total actually only leaves you with about 1 GB or less to use for apps. Not nearly enough. You cannot run apps from the SD card, so that will not help you. The 1 GHz processor is adequate, but not great. 512 mb of RAM is the same, in fact there are already WP8 apps that require 1 GB of RAM and there will be more coming.

Why would anyone want a phone that hardly has room for any apps and won't be able to run the best apps and games?

I would try your best to save and buy the Lumia 820, you will be glad you did.

If there is just no possible way you can buy the 820, then I would wait for the Lumia 620 which is coming soon. It has 1 GHz, 512 mb RAM like the 8S, but it at least has 8 GB of internal memory vs. only 4 GB in the 8S, so at least you can have more than 5 or 6 apps. Also with the 620 you get all of the Nokia exclusive apps, plus Nokia support and updates, which are proven far better than HTC on Windows Phone.

The Lumia 620 should be along very soon and will be priced about the same as the 8S. It may even be slightly less.

Try for the 810/820, if there is no way you can afford it, then get the 620.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who says that the 8S performs less then a 1,5 gig processor is right, on paper. In fact it would run all the things you do perfectly. I had no freezes or exaggerate waiting times. I'm sure Microsoft will fix the 'other' storage problem so you would be able to free up your space a little more. But performance wise it's really great.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd look at the Lumia 820 instead. It has the same 1.5 GHz processor as the Lumia 920 and 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of internal memory. Its considerably less expensive than the 920 too. It costs a bit more than the 8S, but hopefully within reach for you.

The 8S is just too compromised to be useful in my opinion. 4 GB of memory total actually only leaves you with about 1 GB or less to use for apps. Not nearly enough. You cannot run apps from the SD card, so that will not help you. The 1 GHz processor is adequate, but not great. 512 mb of RAM is the same, in fact there are already WP8 apps that require 1 GB of RAM and there will be more coming.

Why would anyone want a phone that hardly has room for any apps and won't be able to run the best apps and games?

I would try your best to save and buy the Lumia 820, you will be glad you did.

If there is just no possible way you can buy the 820, then I would wait for the Lumia 620 which is coming soon. It has 1 GHz, 512 mb RAM like the 8S, but it at least has 8 GB of internal memory vs. only 4 GB in the 8S, so at least you can have more than 5 or 6 apps. Also with the 620 you get all of the Nokia exclusive apps, plus Nokia support and updates, which are proven far better than HTC on Windows Phone.

The Lumia 620 should be along very soon and will be priced about the same as the 8S. It may even be slightly less.

Try for the 810/820, if there is no way you can afford it, then get the 620.

I have to agree with you here..I was researching the whole day today. The 820 is definitely an impressive piece of tech. It is waayyy superior than the 8S.
But IF I go for the 820, I will miss:
HTC's ?ber cool design
Beats Audio
HTC weather app
And these arent something I am OK missing. But if it has sever fall backs, then the 820 it is for me...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well here's the thing. I wont be installing many apps on the 8S. I just want a cheap phone that will do my basic tasks well. i.e Web browsing, YouTube, instant messaging, movies, wittier and Facebook. I won't be gaming on it. I wont have a 100 apps on it. I have my Nexus 7 for that.

My heaviest tasks will probably be web browsing and YouTube. I'm not really sure I can justify the high price tag of the Lumia 920 for just these things (and a sweeeeet yellow colour). Worst case I can give the device to my mom who's not tech savvy at all :p.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes