HTC 8S - Randoms Shutdowns and invalid SIM error

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Bought an HTC 8s a few days ago and I noticed an important problem. The phone randomly reboots/shutdown and it seems it is related to the SIM card. Everytime it reboots or I turn it on after a shutdown, I get an invalid SIM error.

It is really annonying. I have seen on some threads it happened to a few HTC 8X owners.

Any clues ?

ps: Sorry for the English as I am French.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The first thing to try is to get a new, replacement SIM from your network as it seems your current SIM is causing the phone to misbehave.

P.S., No need to apologise for your English as it's perfectly fine. :grin:

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thats what I'm gonna do tomorrow, I will let you know. But that is weird as the sim card is brand new...

P.S. Thanks for your kind comment about my English haha

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I've learned something new today about Windows Phone OS and SIM cards causing issues. Apparently some networks supply SIM cards without the phone number being assigned to them. The phone number is then added after the SIM has been activated. Windows Phone OS doesn't know how to deal with this situation resulting with the phone freezing and locking up. The workaround for this is to register the SIM on a non-Windows phone so the SIM can acquire it's phone number first before inserting into a Windows phone.

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The fact is that the SIM was working with my phone number, but randomly as usual. I was receiving messages decades after they were sent to myself. Today I changed the SIM card but I did do what you advised me to do. Unfortunately I saw your message after putting my SIM card inside my WP phone and then I removed the SIM card to install it in an Android device. I hope it is going to be alright, do you think this is a bad move?

Thanks again.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
It shouldn't be a problem really. You've registered the SIM in an Android so the number should be on the SIM. Hopefully you won't be having any more issues. Let us know how you get on.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol I thought I had the same problems with random shutdown. What it really was, when I crouched, (you do that from time to time) my body pressed to the upper button in my pocket. This is why it turned off, and when I looked at my Phone, it was off and i thought i had random shut downs. Until I discovered that it is caused by myself. LOL. I hope you have the same issue, otherwise it's pretty rubbish..

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it is not the cause of the problem as the phone already had rebooted in the front of my eyes. I'm talking with the last owner to get my money back, then I'll try a Nexus 4 or an HTC One. I did really love the way WP8 looked like but it's way too buggy and the lack of application is sad (actually). But I hope they will get better asap. Still, to me, the best looking soft.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I think because of the bad Phone you experience windows overal bad. I don't think there is a lack of apps, and with the speed it's only a matter of months that all the apps are there. Me personally wouldn't want to go back to android (it really feels like downgrading) anymore.

EDIT: you still have warrenty, don't you? Why don't you return it to HTC because it's really a fault of theirs.

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably come back to this OS later, I will see (I'm not a huge fan of Android or iOS as well, but the applications from Google are really useful, I'm especially talking about Google news official app. I used Weave on WP, but it's not that good). I do not have a warranty as it is a second hand phone, but I'm currently in talk with the last owner who will take it back asap.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You still have warrenty. If he gave you the receipt etcetera, you are the official owner of the Phone, and can go back to the store where he bought it. I assume the seller lives close to you, so it wouldn't be a problem. Cash back from the seller is also a great deal.

sensodia

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
It was taken back by my operator, I hope they will find a solution and then I'll give the phone a second chance =) Thanks again for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster