Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree1Likes
  1. joeyxl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #1  
    hello everyone,

    i'm getting the HTC 8S this week on Wind Mobile. and is my first WP8. i'm actually excited to get this little guy. i love everything about it (minus NFC and no app2sd). other than the few issues ive seen posted here, is this a smart choice to grab this handset?
  2. TechAbstract's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    762 Global Posts
    #2  
    I would get WP8 with at least 8GB of storage, like the Lumia 520 or 620. 4GB in the HTC 8S is very limited. You won't have room for apps.
    Favorite Apps: Windows Phone News, WPCentral, TV Series, Flash Sports, myTube, Metrotube, wpTorrent, Yxplayer WP8, Moliplayer Pro, Package Tracker, NZBConnect, Media Browser, Audiotica 4, MP3 finder, User Agent Switcher, UC Browser, GetThemAll, Amazing Music, Music+, MetroRadio, FlashVideo, Navigon, WebApps, Note It
    Thanked by:
  3. Alex Ionas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #3  
    i made the switch from android, it is a good phone, feels great, looks amazing and runs smooth, if you are an app freak, it might be a problem, but if you are a decent kind of app fanatic, i say it is ok, i installed about 25 apps and still got about 600mb free, the only problem is the well known "other" storage group for using a lot of memory, but it frees up if you need it, so i don't really worry about storage, it's ok.
  4. QuadraFX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    #4  
    I'd highlight the great WiFi in the 8S - it connects to known networks extremely fast and the receiver sensitivity is also amazing. Overall user experience is great, the thing is if You'll be able to live with it's weaknesses...
  5. Abdul Rahman Noor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by monlosez3 View Post
    I would get WP8 with at least 8GB of storage, like the Lumia 520 or 620. 4GB in the HTC 8S is very limited. You won't have room for apps.
    +1 that!
    I have an 820 and feel even 8gb isn't sufficient; not even close. After a couple of months of usage, I didn't have space for Asphalt7 (a must have for any gamer). After resetting and installing just this and a few small apps, I'm down to just 1.x GB again not enough space for say The Dark Knight Rises.

    Getting an HTC 8S is like getting a 50" TV that can't play HD - so much potential but almost pointless.
  6. DonnaxNL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #6  
    I'm also willing to iSwitch from iPhone 3GS to WP8 and HTC 8s, but the storage...

    The Lumia 620 is much better than the 8s, but the design... so ugly. That's a big deal for me.
  7. JackMerson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaxNL View Post

    The Lumia 620 is much better than the 8s, but the design... so ugly. That's a big deal for me.
    Lol, are you sure? The Lumia 620 have minimal bezel in sides and top. I would even actually say that the HTC 8S looks bland. Or pale..
  8. JackMerson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #8  
    Would be better if you choose the Lumia 620 instead. 8 GB is the reason as 4 GB for apps is simply not enough.
  9. DonnaxNL's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackMerson View Post
    Lol, are you sure? The Lumia 620 have minimal bezel in sides and top. I would even actually say that the HTC 8S looks bland. Or pale..
    I like the design of the 8s more than the 620. The Lumia 620 looks so 'phat'. The 8s is nicely rounded on the back. Also is the space between the 'back, start and search'-buttons and the edge of the phone to big.

    The Nokia Lumia 620 is the only Lumia in the family I don't like. Look at this:
    lumia.png
  10. joeyxl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #10  
    i understand the storage is limited, but i will be using a 32GB microSD. so i have my fingers crosses there will be some app2sd support in the future (if not oh well). i also like the size of it and the price tag is very appealing. $338.00 CAD out the door.
  11. iBandar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #11  
    Yup you will love the Windows Phone 8 experience. A phone that you can rely on everyday. Something you can't say about Android
    despertador likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyxl View Post
    i understand the storage is limited, but i will be using a 32GB microSD. so i have my fingers crosses there will be some app2sd support in the future (if not oh well). i also like the size of it and the price tag is very appealing. $338.00 CAD out the door.
    If you can I would suggest returning it. There will be no app2sd feature and the 4GB limit is crippling, unless you use it only as a feature phone.

    Take a look at the review on AAWP with which I completely agree.

    For that price, the L720 or L620 is the much better choice.
  13. diavol's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #13  
    I have 8s and I currently have installed over 40 apps and 90 mb's free, so you are not so limited
  14. t3chnick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    If you can I would suggest returning it. There will be no app2sd feature and the 4GB limit is crippling, unless you use it only as a feature phone.

    Take a look at the review on AAWP with which I completely agree.

    For that price, the L720 or L620 is the much better choice.
    for sure no app2sd coming? Only reason I grabbed a class 10 microsd for my ativ s :(
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by diavol View Post
    I have 8s and I currently have installed over 40 apps and 90 mb's free, so you are not so limited
    Well, ok, it really depends what kind of apps you use. I have a single app that uses 3GB on its own. Also, many apps will use more storage over time as they collect more data. I don't know what apps you use, but assuming you use your device regularly, you are almost sure to encounter storage problems somewhere down the road. You've also given up the ability to store a useful amount of pictures, movies and music locally. I would call that limited.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by t3chnick View Post
    for sure no app2sd coming? Only reason I grabbed a class 10 microsd for my ativ s :(
    Well, at least for WP8, no, never. WP9 may be different.
  17. joeyxl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Well, at least for WP8, no, never. WP9 may be different.
    what about the "windows blue" update coming this year? if not i don't use many apps, but the selection is there. i wont be having more than 40 apps though. front facing camera for me is not a huge issue, as well as a high resolution camera. for that price i cant go wrong. the reviews iv'e watched and read have nothing but good things to say, other than camera, no front, and the lack of out of the box apps.

    also anyone with windows 8 care to share their experience with the WP/W8 integration?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyxl View Post
    A) what about the "windows blue" update coming this year?
    B) i wont be having more than 40 apps though.
    C) the reviews iv'e watched and read have nothing but good things to say
    A) Delivering app2sd would require either adjustments to WP8's security model or the abandonment of parts thereof. That doesn't really happen between major versions, so no.

    B) Like I said, there is no guarantee you will get that many apps. Some have problems getting 10 apps installed. It depends what you use.

    C) Then you've only read superficial reviews and most definitely not the one I linked to.

    Your choice though. Just trying to help.
  19. joeyxl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #19  
    i did read the review, and ive actually gotten the chance to hold one. tbh i actually liked it. the size is great, and the OS seem to of run without any issue. i do see odd moments that it does chug, but not enough to bother me.

    just because a phone doesn't have high end specs, or what it should of had, doesn't mean its a bad phone. i do appreciate the advice though :)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyxl View Post
    i did read the review, and ive actually gotten the chance to hold one. tbh i actually liked it. the size is great, and the OS seem to of run without any issue. i do see odd moments that it does chug, but not enough to bother me.

    just because a phone doesn't have high end specs, or what it should of had, doesn't mean its a bad phone. i do appreciate the advice though :)
    That is all that is important. If you like it, and are aware of the drawbacks, and still think it is a good idea, then go for it. It's your choice.

    Just to be clear though, I'm not at all a person who says a phone must have high-end specs, particularly when it comes to WP8. Even the lower end devices tend to run great. I just know a few people who returned the 4S because it didn't work out for them, for exactly the reasons stated in the review.

    Anyway, good luck!
  21. Alex Ionas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    #21  
    trust me, it's a brilliant phone, the storage is ok if you get used to it, and some regular cleaning, it runs wp8 really good.
  22. joeyxl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #22  
    so im happy to say tommrow i will have in my hands a HTC 8S. i'm really excited to try this new OS and see what it has to offer. i just recently put windows 8 on my PC, so i cant wait to see what great things i can do with my phone and the PC!
  23. bilzkh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    688 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyxl View Post
    so im happy to say tommrow i will have in my hands a HTC 8S. i'm really excited to try this new OS and see what it has to offer. i just recently put windows 8 on my PC, so i cant wait to see what great things i can do with my phone and the PC!
    I hope you didn't order/buy it yet... Bell Virgin Mobile seems to be selling the 8S for $150 (no contract)

    Phones - Virgin Mobile Canada
  24. joeyxl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #24  
    but then i need to unlock it. you know prices for unlock codes?
  25. bilzkh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    688 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyxl View Post
    but then i need to unlock it. you know prices for unlock codes?
    I used to unlock from Cellunlocker.net, would run $19 to $25 usually, but not much more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 136
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 01:37 AM
  2. I am now an Android user
    By bilzkh in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
  3. Android user tied to Google Voice
    By LeoBloom. in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 04:42 AM
  4. Android user with questions
    By fogel35 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 05:19 AM
  5. Mobile Demo Site for iOS/Android users
    By pseudoware in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions