- 08-04-2013, 05:45 PM #1
Since Virgin Mobile/Bell stopped selling the Windows Phone 8s, I'm wondering if people like me who were unlucky enough to have a phone with them will be getting the GDR2. I know Bell is releasing it for the Ativ but I've seen no news on the 8s.
By the by, how silly is it that Android and Windows Phone users have to rely on their carrier to get system updates? With iPhone you get them directly from Apple and I thought Windows Phone would be the same. I'm a little disapointed to learn today that this is not the case.
- 08-04-2013, 09:28 PM #2
Actually, you get them direct from Microsoft too using the Windows Update services built into Windows Phone.
However the images/updates have to be certified by the carriers, just as Apple's are. The difference is Apple only permits carriers to change network options. Microsoft permits larger changes for instance installing additional default apps.
There is also the multiplier of not one hardware manufacturer. Apple have a real easy life testing like 4 phones. Even Nokia have many Windows Phones now... all on each carrier = many times longer to get updates out.
- 08-05-2013, 08:09 AM #3
Thank you for the information. I was misinformed yesterday and I'm glad that is the case. It's still a shame that the carrier has to have any type of input for updates. In cases like mine where the phone is dropped merely 6 months after its release, I'm left uncertain to have the opportunity of getting said updates.
- By moirane in forum Nokia Lumia 1020Replies: 11Last Post: 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM
- By vistascan32 in forum Microsoft News & RumorsReplies: 14Last Post: 08-20-2013, 10:35 PM
- By Gunbust3r in forum Nokia Lumia 521Replies: 17Last Post: 08-14-2013, 10:56 PM
- By DBDev in forum ASUS VivoTab SmartReplies: 6Last Post: 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM
- By Cindy_H in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 5Last Post: 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM