Phone upgrade recommendations

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I was just after peoples views on my mobile phone upgrade options.

I currently have a HTC 8S, which I have enjoyed using (especially after the 8.1 update pfd).
However I have not been overly impressed by the performance of the device, so would be looking for a better spec phone.
There are currently three phones which I like, but I would be open to other recommendations.
Also I think a 5" screen would be my limit.
My UK provider has said I can upgrade now for no additional fee (contract ends start of Jan 2015).

1. Nokia Lumia 930 - My current provider can offer me this phone at ?26pm which is probably at the max that I want to pay.
2. Nokia Lumia 830 - Can't get this with current provider, but Tesco mobile do a deal of ?21pm which appeals to me. I like the look of the phone and the specs look ok. I like the glance option available on this phone.
3. HTC One M8 Windows - Not currently offered in the UK, but I really like the look and spec of this phone. Would it be worth waiting for? I could probably wait a couple of months, I understand that there is no current release date in the UK.

Just to add buying the phone out outright isn't an option for me at the moment.
So please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Further thoughts on new phone.

1. Nokia Lumia 930 - This will be more future proof than the 830 (as higher spec). Also I am signed up to preview for developers and with Windows 10 available sometime next year this will surely be a better choice.
2. Nokia Lumia 830 - Still a lovely looking phone, how well will is run Windows 10?
3. HTC One M8 Windows - Prob run Windows 10 fine? What monthly contract will this be available on? Similar to the Lumia 930 perhaps?

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Any reason why you're not considering the 730? I would look at the 830 and the 730 and get the best value for money deal out of these in terms of call and data. Both are very nice looking phones and both have expandable MicroSD storage which is why I would give the 930 a miss, personally. Both should be good options for upgrading to Windows 10 when it arrives as they have decent spec and Windows 10 is unlikely to be that much more demanding than Windows 8.1.

HakkiCha

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
930 is way better than Htc One M8 imo. Having all the Lumia apps is a big plus and the camera is really gorgeous. 830 is a good variant as well but I like 930 better because of its more premium look and feel. With the availability and everything, 930 suits better I guess. Too bad you don't consider a 1520 with its great price and huge advantages over 930 or any other WP. :)

jfdavis17

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It is a hard decision, all those choices are good ones not sure you can go wrong. I have the HTC one m8, and the 1520, both phones are awesome. The HTC is my favorite though, I do worry about it staying updated, but right now it is top dog in my opinion.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Any reason why you're not considering the 730? I would look at the 830 and the 730 and get the best value for money deal out of these in terms of call and data. Both are very nice looking phones and both have expandable MicroSD storage which is why I would give the 930 a miss, personally. Both should be good options for upgrading to Windows 10 when it arrives as they have decent spec and Windows 10 is unlikely to be that much more demanding than Windows 8.1.

Hi, just been reading reviews of the 735 and it comes across as average with performance. I suppose if the 830 has similar internals then the performance may be average aswell. Not terrible by any means but after coming from a HTC 8S I suppose I want a better performer. Pushing me towards the 930 (32GB would not be an issue for me) or the HTC One M8 (If possible).

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Not ready for a big 1520, if it was 5" then it would be ideal. The 32GB storage isn't an issue for me with the 930, my music library isn't huge and I am currently managing with 1GB onboard storage and a 16GB SD card (only about 5GB used) on my HTC 8S.

Hugo Sundberg

May 19, 2014
Visit site
The 830 is really great. Feels increadibly premium and has in my opinion the optimal weight. The phone preforms really fast and smooth and handles most games completely lag free. The removable back and SD-card slot are also very welcome. Cannot go wrong with the 830!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3