Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alexblfc
  1. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I'm really excited for the HTC 8X. I felt like creating a forum for those who fully support HTC's newly emerged generation and re-vitalization within Windows Phone. What do you think lies ahead in the future for HTC and Windows Phone 8? What do you like about the HTC 8X/S?

    While I think the Nokia Lumias are a beautiful line, I just feel the design and look of HTC is much more my style. I love that the HTC 8X is so much lighter than the Lumia 920 which is a huge factor for me and smartphones. The only question I have about the new HTC devices is do they have the iconic HTC notification LED to signify a notification of the phone?

    Looking strongly at the HTC 8X for my next phone on Verizon Wireless (Sorry HTC Trophy, you were a good faithful device).

    HTC 8X Photo Gallery:
    http://www.windowscentral.com/htc-8x...-photo-gallery

    HTC 8X, Behind the Design:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...layer_embedded
    Last edited by TrophyNostalgia; 09-19-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Features Added and Grammar
  2. sneekgeek's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #2  
    Hi TrophyNostalgia. I see you had the HTC Trophy. Does HTC have any turn-by-turn GPS navigation apps? I know Nokia provides a free one on their WP devices, and I'm a heavy Google Maps user on my Android phone, but i want to try something new. Does HTC have anything equivalent from your experience?

    Thanks in advance!
  3. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sneekgeek View Post
    Hi TrophyNostalgia. I see you had the HTC Trophy. Does HTC have any turn-by-turn GPS navigation apps? I know Nokia provides a free one on their WP devices, and I'm a heavy Google Maps user on my Android phone, but i want to try something new. Does HTC have anything equivalent from your experience?

    Thanks in advance!
    Well it depends exactly what you are looking for. HTC does feature an "HTC Location" app which features maps and such available for offline use. However Windows Phone itself is integrated with a Bing GPS or "Maps" system. I primarily use the Bing Maps system on my HTC Trophy Windows Phone 7. It works beautifully and I personally prefer it over Google Maps. It does have turn by turn directions whether walking or driving. Additionally it is closely integrated to give detailed information about your destination or locations around you including contact information, hours, reviews and more about your particular destination/locations around you. Does that answer your question? Let me know if you have any more questions!
  4. sneekgeek's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #4  
    Thanks so much for responding! Does the Bing Maps have a turn-by-turn that looks similar to a traditional GPS car mounted unit? I use my Android phone mounted on my dash all the time since it's more accurate than my Garmin GPS. I haven't played with a WP since the older pre-mango days. I had the old HTC Surround for work, but had to give it back and move to Blackberry. :(
  5. AaronP105's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #5  
    I also agree with everything said. I think the design of the 8X is much nicer than the same old Lumia 920 design. The Lumia 800, 900 and 920 all look roughly the same and, although I thought it was great at first, am now pretty bored of it. I was dead set on getting the 920 but now I'm just not sure.
  6. alexblfc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #6  
    I think it looks fantastic. Nearly as good as the 920.

    It's better for me in these areas:

    Audio - goes without saying.

    Matte finish - The matte red looks better than the 920's glossy red IMO

    Light - only 130g which is 50g lighter than the 920.

    It's worse in these areas:

    16GB non expandable storage: This is the biggest NO for me. Pathetic really coming into 2013. Nokia managed to put 32Gb in the 920 and HTC managed to put 32GB in the One X, so why not here? Either give us 32GB non expandable or give us an SD card slot. Big fail here.

    Screen: HTC's panel will be incredible, as it is the same as the One X but higher PPI. But Nokia has a slight edge with the SST and CB tech.

    Camera: Nokia will win here, but not by much. The One X's camera is fantastic and the 8X's will be even better.

    I will probably end up buying it, as i end up buying most phones XD.
  7. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbaldwin View Post
    I think it looks fantastic. Nearly as good as the 920.

    It's better for me in these areas:

    Audio - goes without saying.

    Matte finish - The matte red looks better than the 920's glossy red IMO

    Light - only 130g which is 50g lighter than the 920.

    It's worse in these areas:

    16GB non expandable storage: This is the biggest NO for me. Pathetic really coming into 2013. Nokia managed to put 32Gb in the 920 and HTC managed to put 32GB in the One X, so why not here? Either give us 32GB non expandable or give us an SD card slot. Big fail here.

    Screen: HTC's panel will be incredible, as it is the same as the One X but higher PPI. But Nokia has a slight edge with the SST and CB tech.

    Camera: Nokia will win here, but not by much. The One X's camera is fantastic and the 8X's will be even better.

    I will probably end up buying it, as i end up buying most phones XD.
    I agree with many of your points. I love the focus on Audio quality with HTC, that is one huge factor for me along with the weight/size of the phone. The curved feel on both sides of the HTC 8X really drew me in. Additionally the Gorilla Glass and light weight (in comparison to Lumia 920). The Matte design is much more appealing than a gloss, definitely. I'm pretty much sold on the HTC 8X. The only "negative" for me is the 16 GB local storage limit. However I think as Cloud technology really does seem to be the future, and it appears Microsoft has a lot up their sleeves with implementing this into the Windows 8 ecosystem, I'm wondering if it will really be a "negative" for long. My current HTC Trophy only has 16 GB local storage limit and I've only used about half of it. So ultimately it doesn't really affect my position. The Nokia camera does have an agreeable edge, however the HTC 8X's camera is by no means poor and is still quite solid. (even has a better forward facing camera) So while I would love Nokia Pureview, if I had to choose beween that and the lightness of the HTC 8X I would choose the lighter phone any day. Probably the only "negatives" I see persisting with the HTC 8X
    for me is Bluetooth 2.1 and the lack of wireless charging.
  8. Sniper1087's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    #8  
    ok as far as GPS Nokia Drive will be available to all Windows 8 devices that was part of the licensing agreement with microsoft, so if you get a Windows 8 device you are covered as far as GPS goes.
  9. alexblfc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    I agree with many of your points. I love the focus on Audio quality with HTC, that is one huge factor for me along with the weight/size of the phone. The curved feel on both sides of the HTC 8X really drew me in. Additionally the Gorilla Glass and light weight (in comparison to Lumia 920). The Matte design is much more appealing than a gloss, definitely. I'm pretty much sold on the HTC 8X. The only "negative" for me is the 16 GB local storage limit. However I think as Cloud technology really does seem to be the future, and it appears Microsoft has a lot up their sleeves with implementing this into the Windows 8 ecosystem, I'm wondering if it will really be a "negative" for long. My current HTC Trophy only has 16 GB local storage limit and I've only used about half of it. So ultimately it doesn't really affect my position. The Nokia camera does have an agreeable edge, however the HTC 8X's camera is by no means poor and is still quite solid. (even has a better forward facing camera) So while I would love Nokia Pureview, if I had to choose beween that and the lightness of the HTC 8X I would choose the lighter phone any day. Probably the only "negatives" I see persisting with the HTC 8X
    for me is Bluetooth 2.1 and the lack of wireless charging.
    I did end up buying it anyway :L Will see tomorrow how good it is.
  10. #10  
    I was going to get me one Lumia 920 and keep my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 4, sell my Lumia 800 (I have a unlimited plan for business, limited for me and a prepaid for emergency or guests) Now I am selling my Lumia 900, Lumia 800 and iPhone4. Have a blue and black 8X, yellow on order. I live in Europe and off plan I get 3 8X for the price of two 920s and the SAR (radiation) value of the 8X is 1/3 of the 920... Important if you make lots of calls. I love the phone! The display is marvelous!

    *Little note... cancelled my 8X in Yellow... co worker got his and it is not rubberized like the Blue and Black versions. I got me a 8S instead of the Yellow 8X, B&W as it became available and costs lot less. For a guest phone that is just fine.
    *As a private phone I got me a HTC OneX+, because I need the space for my music and my .pdf files which I need for business. I would need a 64Gb version of the 8X.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 12-16-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  11. asheesposito's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #11  
    Just ordered mine thanks for starting this thread its nice to see feedback from real users rather than critics
  12. frankiect's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #12  
    It's a great phone if you don't need specific apps to get by. I for one only need facebook, twitter, foursquare,whatsapp, shazam, metrotube and metrogram. I get bored quickly of games so I don't have any, and my nexus 7 tablet is on it's way, so I'm pretty much covered when it comes to everything. Before you switch to WP8, give it a good thought.

Posting Permissions